I find myself adding new house rules after each guest

We also provide Metro-cards that guests have to charge. It saves them time and money, and they appreciate the gesture.

Yes, trying to be aware of my market niche and sales focus. A lot of my guests stay with me specifically to take public transportation to see the tourist sites, so the metro cards are an appreciated amenity that I will continue to provide despite the occasional replacement cost.

1 Like

I feel your pain. Fortunately Iā€™ve never had any guests to have done such stupid things but then again I live here when theyā€™re here and itā€™s not a whole house rental.

I donā€™t know if this is allowed but I did a podcast episode all about House Rules.

Yes, I have expanded my blog to podcasting and itā€™s all about Airbnb and Vacation Rentals.

@Evelyn - you have given me the opportunity to explain this forumā€™s policy regarding adding links to posts - for the benefit of all members and readers - thank you :slight_smile:

Generally speaking, moderators will delete posts from new members who have started a topic and recently joined especially to promote their services. Long time members, such as yourself, are very welcome to post links here if they are truly of benefit to other hosts and because they regularly post useful information (without links) in various topics.

Personally, I have zero tolerance for people who post here with information or services that are ill-informed because many of us here are very experienced hosts. Link posters must be aware that we can be sarcastic if we think that they are ā€˜teaching their grandmothers to suck eggsā€™. :slight_smile: (I never understood that saying!)

I hope that sorts out the situation for everyone.

2 Likes

Thanksā€¦ And I have never heard that saying of grandmothers sucking eggs. And I do hope I provide some useful information on the podcast.

And thank you for allowing my link to live. :grin:

1 Like

Plus Evelyn is like our own rock star! She was featured in The NY Times!!!

4 Likes

New rule after last guest:

We have lovely spas and salons in town (hereā€™s a list). Please have your nails done there rather than doing them in my house where polish can spill and ruin linens and carpet

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen reference to the tomatoes under the ottoman before ā€¦ Always makes me curious. Haha

Truly, it was just that, really. The guests, though nice enough people, were outside on the common walkway at 2 am being loud and drunk. (I have no objection to people being loud or drunk - I do it myself - but ā€˜not in my backyard!ā€™)

As they were due to leave the following day, I told them to get out and leave immediately. They did. They left the apartment in the worst shape Iā€™ve ever seen it - been cans all over the place, dirty dishes hastily thrown in the sink, grease splatters all over the stove ā€¦ etc.

But the real surprise was when I discovered that under the ottoman there were several tomatoes. Real tomatoes. Proper tomatoes. Simply tomatoes. A little squashed but nevertheless, tomatoes.

My mind boggled. Some weird sort of sex game? Tomato-bowling challenge? Lets-piss-off-the-host tomatoes?

I have no idea. All suggestions and ideas gratefully received!

1 Like

My guess has always been that a bag of groceries was dropped and tomatoes fell out and rolled under the furniture.

This is so much better than what I thought of.

3 Likes

A good idea but the lack of any other vegetables makes me doubt it. They were cherry tomatoes (those little ones) that in our local supermarket, come in a plastic punnet (for want of a better word) with a secure lid. So I doubt that your explanation holds water really. You never know though :slight_smile:

Ha! Iā€™m a bit stuck thinking what it might have been though!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing! :joy:

1 Like

Lack of other vegtables makes me doubt it was a sex game. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Maybe instead of 50 Shades of Grey, the books should have been 50 Shades of Salad. :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Yā€™all are cracking me up! :joy: Thanks!

2 Likes

Luckily she cleans straight away or those tomatoes might have been grey. :nauseated_face:

2 Likes