I find myself adding new house rules after each guest

Yes, because luggage racks are rarely big enough :laughing:.

1 Like

Both guests and myself

My luggage racks have never been used to dry towels. I have a drying rack and four towels rods and hooks in each room. Imagine you are a guest, and provide what they need not to damage your home and enjoy their stay.

1 Like

I was just kidding @anon67190644, in the vein of @jaquo’s list of crazy things guests do sometimes.

3 Likes

Got it! :slight_smile:

20 20 20

If a “washing up bowl” is what I think it is, I know why you find it on the fridge. Americans are not big users of dishpans. That would explain why people just move it out of the way by putting it on the fridge.

1 Like

My luggage racks have been used to dry towels. We got one of the metal ones that someone on this forum recommended. It’s getting rusty. We have hooks in the bathroom and the guest room closet. We have a laundry basket in the guest room closet. Strangely, towels get hung pretty much everywhere but on the hooks and nobody uses the laundry basket.

I should add that I once came down to help guests with the the range and saw their heavy suitcase on my dining room table… and the luggage rack still folded up behind the fridge. Sigh.

Yeah I’m the same - the wheels on my suitcase are kinda lifted so don’t touch anything when the case is laid down

1 Like

Well if you americans keep insisting on using those stuffed plaids, wich you call a “comforter”, we europeans keep using them to put our luggage on. :wink: :yum: :joy:

4 Likes

Ah, that makes sense. Thinking back, yes it’s always been Americans who have done this. I mean the plastic bowl that goes inside the sink.

Our kitchen sink is from the 40s and is white ceramic. It has a few minor blemishes though so I thought that the plastic washing up bowl would look more hygienic!

I think your rule 1 is very important and something I often forget to tell my guests - going to add it to my rules immediately!
… and my heart leaps that you have stuck to the CORRECT term for washing up bowl in spite of your many years in the US!

2 Likes

A washing up bowl is surely incredibly British. :smiley:

2 Likes

It seems like I get a guest every few weeks that makes me want to add a house rule, but it’s almost always something different than before. Keep your house rules simple. If I were looking for a place to book and it had a laundry list of house rules I would probably not book it because it makes the host look like an insane control freak lol

2 Likes

Oh my goodness. You all are so correct. The English use washing up bowls and the Americans don’t!

To avoid my cleaning a little longer here are my thoughts on why this is so. In England we are forever needing small amounts of hot soapy water to rinse through those cups that we use make endless cups of tea. So why fill a whole sink when a little bit in a bowl will do. Coupled with the fact that most English kitchens have a single sink. Using a bowl still allows us to pour away those last sips of cold tea left in the cups.
I’m sure it also stems from the fact that we grew up with no dishwasher and the washing up water was used to water the roses in the front yard!
Or re-used to bath the baby. Ok maybe that one goes too far :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Luggage rack is now installed in the room. It’s open and set up. Maybe I will specifically point it out to my guest who arrives tonight!
I also noticed some coat hangers were missing from the closet and had to add some more.
I have no clue who took them and why on earth they would ?

Ooh, 'citing! :slight_smile: Yes, do point it out to guests. I’ve learned that it never hurts to point out things that you find obvious. Guests from other countries/cultures will appreciate it and the occasional strange look from some (‘uh…yeah…I know what a luggage rack is / that the shower curtain goes inside the tub’) is worth it. Never Assume Anything is the golden rule.

2 Likes

My frugal Yorkshire mum would use the dish washing water to clean the worktops. Then the kitchen cupboard doors. Then the kitchen floor. Only then, when the water had been used to its fullest extent, would it water the garden. :slight_smile:

Another reason for using a washing up bowl is that sinks are usually hard whereas the washing up bowl is plastic and softer. So a cup dropped into the washing up bowl wouldn’t break but one dropped into the sink more than likely would.

4 Likes

I seem to just keep adding signs and notes. Hectic rental period and I’m not sure who accidentally made off with the metro cards this time. My welcome book says “Please don’t forget to return the metro cards for other guests’ use.” in yellow highlighter. Well, now the metro cards are in their own plastic sleeve with an insert in very large letters “PLEASE return the metro cards for use by other guests! THANK YOU.” My house rules are actually quite detailed and include a “guest agrees to” followed by a county regulatory cite and my short term rental contract, since I found my listing does not show up consistently unless I allow instant book, and I need to protect myself in case I need to cancel or boot someone.

No offense… but I would consider not providing transportation cards to guests. Why is that your responsibility? If you remove it from the amenities no one will notice and you will have saved yourself time and headaches. I don’t know what hotel provides metro cards. I’m here in Japan right now spending a fortune, a literal fortune, on trains. The hotel guest inn is NOT subsidizing my trains. Nor would I expect them to!

4 Likes