How often do you update photos? What changes warrant an update?

I tinker with my flat quite frequently - adding/changing artwork, a new duvet, moving furniture around, etc. But I don’t necessarily update my photos that often. The last time I added/updated a photo was when I added a desk/workspace (mainly because I figured it was an added amenity).

How often do you update or add new photos? What amount of change in your space would require a new photo?

Thanks!

Ideally I would update every time I changed something that made the unit look better, or added an amenity (like the desk you mentioned). However, we’ve been so busy with back to back bookings I haven’t had time to update my photos as much as I’d like. I would say if you have time, change/update them with every change. Supposedly it’s good to have an active account (better search rankings), so changing/adding photos would be a way to stay active and make your listing more appealing at the same time.

1 Like

I just refinished a little desk/makeup vanity. I have five back-to-back turnovers, but I took a couple of quick pics when I put it in place. I accidentally left the window shade up, so I’ll have retake the pictures soon. The pics don’t highlight the great sun in that area, but the desk is an improvement over the one I had.

If I make a change or improvement that I would care about if I were booking as a guest, I update the pics. With that said, I don’t have professional pics yet, so adding my own pics doesn’t really detract from the overall feel, and I am somewhat conscious of light, etc… I would make every effort to avoid pics that don’t better tell the story of the listing. I just booked six ABB listings, and I have learned a lot about what was helpful for me to see in the listing pics.

1 Like

Good point Arlene, thank you. I’ve had back to back bookings lately as well, so other than minor things (the desk, a new duvet, etc) haven’t made major changes, or had time to take decent pics. The thing that got me to thinking about it is that I noticed that in one picture of the bedroom I have one duvet on the bed, and in another I have a different duvet on. Would you notice this as a guest? Would it even bother you? I also have different pillow cases for the accent pillows I use on the bed (I rotate them, usually depending on which duvet I’m using). It’s probably just my OCD, but it kind of bothers me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I don’t have professional pics yet either. I do have an SLR camera that I use to take better pictures (when I have time) so I have a mix of cell phone pics and SLR pics in my listing.

What type of changes do you think would concern you? If the furniture was not located in the same place as in a photo? Or different bedding?

No, that wouldn’t bother me–especially if I perceived the linens to be an upgrade. :slight_smile: People change linens; I can’t imagine holding that against a host.

I also have a mix of of iPhone and “real” camera pics. I think the iPhone pics are holding up fine against the others. I do plan on getting a photographer in soon, though.

1 Like

I only update them when i add something new. As long as you still have all the amendities in you pics I think you are all good.

1 Like

I don’t think changing bed linen color would bother me unless you were switching from something that looked really color coordinated/nice in photos to some old unmatched items or sonethmg. In other words, if you’ve made a change that’s equal in quality I wouldn’t worry about taking new photos (especially linen colors), but if you’ve made a significant improvement or added something new, then I would really make a point of taking new photos. If you post a link to your listing we can take a look if you’d like. I myself should really take new photos by haven’t had time. We’ve been pretty booked and I’d rather over deliver than under.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @Arlene_Larsson ! Here is a link to my listing. Some of the things that are different now:
The baskets in the kitchen are no longer there.
The toaster is no longer on the counter (its still in the flat, just in a cabinet). I replaced it with an electric kettle :blush:
Different duvet cover (I no longer used the striped one).

Listing them out, they do seem like minor pickiness now…my OCD must be flaring

Anyway, honest feedback appreciated!

Sorry to reply so late. Your place looks beautiful, now I want to visit Madison!!! Looks like you’re doing just fine with great reviews etc. Maybe others will have more things to say but it looks great to me.

I update photos only if there is a substantial change in amenities. I don’t have a standardized color of bed linen so guests cannot really rely on the pictures in that matter. When it comes to small improvements, I prefer guests to get pleasantly surprised. It is a very nice effect and people automatically think they are getting a better place than they paid for. :wink: Same goes with pictures. I have some of my own photos intermingled with the professional Airbnb ones, which give an impression of the place being more spacious than it is. In this way guests can get a better grasp of where they are coming.

2 Likes

We’ve found that uploading new photos and updating the description results in a search ranking boost. So we do it seasonally.

3 Likes

When I change/add key amenities.

1 Like

Thanks @Arlene_Larsson!

I do have a few amenities I plan to add in the next month or so (a table in the kitchen, maybe different furniture in the sun-room) and then I hope to take advantage of the free professional photography Air offers (if its still available by then). So I guess I’ll just stick with what I have until then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You do know you can only use their photo services once? If they did your photography before and you want further photography you will need to commission your own photographer :slight_smile:

Yes, that is why I’m waiting until I’ve made a few more additions/improvements. I have yet to use Airs free photographer service.

Oops. You may have waited too long! They’re now charging for the service. Someone on another board said it was $100.
https://www.airbnb.com/professional_photography