How much tour guide-ing do you do for guests?

Hi! I’m new here (just joined) and really impressed by this lively community. I am currently doing research for a new project. Any and all responses welcome; I really appreciate it.

• How often are you answering questions about the area for guests (restaurants, activities, hikes)?
  • Do you provide a binder/book with local suggestions…and if so do you keep it updated?
  • Do any local businesses you recommend know that you are recommending them?
  • Would you be interested in providing this service for other travelers to your area (via email or text) for $$ and as a way to help your property stand out from all the other listings?

Thank you and feel free to ask me anything as well. If you’re curious to hear more about this, please get in touch. Not trying to be shady on here!

What is the project?

What service are you looking at developing?

There was a similar thread a few weeks ago, why not have a look at that.

I will look for that and read it, thank you!
The service would connect local guides/experts (Airbnb hosts or not) with travelers looking to pay for more personalized recommendations. Potential to work with small local businesses as well.

I don’t know. It may be duplicating efforts. Many of us have already been prodded by Air to fill out the online guidebook. I have a big binder in the room, and I am also a writer for a major travel guidebook. Personally I could not use something like this but maybe others would.

1 Like

Thanks! I appreciate that feedback.

I wouldn’t use something like that either. We provide a very extensive ring binder of activities, restaurants, etc. and we are on site available and willing to talk about best places to go, things to see, etc

Same here - we are on sight, and I actually enjoy helping people make their plans. It’s the mother-hen in me. She just won’t shut-up. Just ask my kids…

1 Like

I have the Airbnb guidebook but it isn’t copied into a binder. I let the guests explore and be adventurous on their own but do sometimes make suggestions if asked. Otherwise I personally wouldn’t want another layer of information connecting guests to their perceived needs or interests. They have Yelp, Meetups, Tripadvisor, etc. for that.

it depends on the guest.If they are already from the area and returning to visit family or business they may not need it. I have a big binder on the desk and I tell them “the Bible is on the desk;everything you need to know is in there”. Recommendations to restaurants etc…and I also have a basket of brochures they can sift through.It seems most people are already prepared and just use their smart phone for everything.

Is this not experiences?

1 Like

Answers to the latter question would be appreciated.

Trying to reply to this using @jaquo 's format but keep getting the ‘post must be more than 20 characters’ error? What am I doing wrong?

edit: took out all the quotes and it worked, I think.

1 Like

How often are you answering questions about the area for guests (restaurants, activities, hikes)?

Very often, actually 99% of the time. It’s part of my welcome spiel.

Do you provide a binder/book with local suggestions…and if so do you keep it updated?

Yes, although it’s more of a mass of random leaflets and guidebooks. I’ve got quite lazy about it keeping it updated.

Do any local businesses you recommend know that you are recommending them?

This question is the most interesting for me. I recommend a local pub/restaurant and many of my guests go there and like it. I’m sure they arrive with my personalised map and the name of the local beer written on it which is difficult to pronounce for non-English speakers. I’ve been thinking about going down there and asking for a discount (for me!). Also, I recommend local shops. No, they don’t know - short answer.
Would you be interested in providing this service for other travelers to your area (via email or text) for $$ and as a way to help your property stand out from all the other listings?

Mmh, sounds interesting. But I need more information. How would me giving away all my good advice and carefully crafted info to other people (hosts?) in my area benefit me? It’s not making sense to me. I stand apart from the massive amount of competition in my area because so many of my reviews talk exactly about my local knowledge and my great recommendations. What sort of price should I put on that?

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your responses! It’s really helpful to hear your perspectives (and doubts) as active members of the Airbnb community.

Here’s what we are thinking: finding guides in different locations (we started by looking at Airbnb hosts because, of course, what a wonderful place to find people passionate about where they live) and connecting them with travelers coming through (or researching about a potential trip) via email or text. Once the travelers question or questions are answered, they pay a fee or tip to the person who provided the answer. This would by no means cannibalize the Airbnb business, just be an additional way to make a bit of money and help people who want to have great experiences in your town.

As for working with local businesses to get you discounts, that’s another area we have been chatting about.

We are at the early stages of working on it, but if you’re interested in continuing to hear more or know of someone who might be, please get in touch! We know there are a lot of great people with local knowledge who can’t be hosts or certainly can’t host everyone! And if you just want to get on our list of potential guides, here’s a form: https://goo.gl/forms/Fqu88CpDrKBVsisT2

The big issue with your concept is that it relies on guests to pay a fee or tip to the person who provides the answer after they have been given the information.

You would need to invest in substantial marketing to promote this concept and there is no guarantee those providing the service would be paid.

I’d still like to know about these.

You said it. Just about every guest I’ve had whips out that phone for getting on a bus to downtown LA or finding the nearest farmers’ market.