How much is too much information/photos?

thanks, yes I thought that too with the dining room

Thanks, yes, I love the frangipani in the gardens so wanted to include some inside.
Re pricing, as it’s Winter here now I’ve dropped it for the cooler months, weekends a bit higher and summer up to $350 AUS/night in the school hols, already getting busy for bookings in Nov/Dec.
Could I have a look at your place please?

I think you should have a good look look at he photo’s and filter some of them.

Many pictures are not a problem, as long as they add something. Quality over quantity is still a very important thing.

There are foto’s showing the same thing, adding nothing new.
Some foto’s are even making things worse.

For example: You have a beautiful main picture of the pool in the evening, and than you add 2 daylight pictures that are not like the first impression.

Linving room and dining room and then the dining room on itself, the dining room picture does not add anything. I could almost be a crop of the first one.

Also pictures 7 and 8 do not add anything after the first good picture of your kitchen.

And like @felixcat said, get a free collage tool, and merge 5 of 6 the attraction pictures into 1.

Also keep in mind that a guest looking at your add will only see 5 pictures as a first impression.
So make sure these are your best ones.

I grabbed a screenshot to show you what I mean, if you have a problem with that I will remove them again.

-2 Pictures of the pool. I would get rid of the right one with the hose. I am not sure about the left one, I would move it to the back so it is not part of the 5 you see here. You already have the pool as your main picture.
-Picture of the terras view, not a selling point, either remove it, or move it to the back.
-Pictures of house and kitchen are good ones, keep them

Pictures I would add here are the bathroom and bedroom.

1 Like

Love the place!

I think its fine as it is.

1 Like

I like the hose. Then I can be sure the pool is clean!

2 Likes

Hello fellow Oz host. Most have already given you plenty of advice. Mine is to cut them back instead of the repetitive shots. Ie, don’t need to see 5 shots of a pool. Also change captions to reflect what it means to the potential guest. No need to describe what we can already see. Ie, “Lap pool with Pool house”. Why not, “enjoy a relaxing swim each afternoon before drinks in the pool house”. Ie, give them some emotive descriptions.,
And change the order. If I want to stay somewhere, I want an overall photo. A shot of the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. These are the essentials. Well done on your floor plan.
Finally - and I think this is important, change our profile picture so we can see your face more. Many clients really want to see who they will be staying with. Unfortunately this shot shows mostly a long white fence.
I am being a little critical but hope these and the other comments help.
Strongly recommend getting some professional shots for the house interiors. They are fine but could be even better with a wider angle lens, particularly the bedroom shots.
Well done on a good range of the location shots.
Great reviews and well done for responding to each one.
Yes, a good idea to be a guest sometime. Gives you a great chance to see first hand how others do it so you can either learn by their mistakes or pick up some great ideas. Many hosts are more than pleased to share and help you.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, yes the pool hose isn’t very appealing. Also I agree the terraces one isn’t a favourite with the pole and fence!
I guess the reason I add the daylight ones is for a reality check! The main one was a professional shot, and it only looks this great at night with the pool lights on, the others are how it looks when people (usually) arrive in the daylight, I don’t want people to be disappointed when they see it!
I appreciate your opinions

haha, yes, the pool is the big seller here, it has to be clean clean!

Hi Clyde thanks for that, time to request an airbnb pro shoot, I’ll have more to choose from then, it’s hard getting the best bits of a room in on my phone cam!
Yes, my profile pick is small, I’m actually on a ship! Thanks for pointing out things I wouldn’t think of. Where in Aus are you from?

1 Like

Great place, exceptional value.

I would ‘personalize’ some of the photos a bit, showing flowers, floating tube in the pool, etc; signs that humans do live there, not that the house is ready to be sold. With pictures move in one direction: from afar, into one section of the home into another; eliminate duplicates and those not of same brightness.

In your response to people Sue, perhaps take a more personal tack which is probably easy for you being so personable; remember each guest is different. Perhaps (see https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/4869137 ) where I mention something specific to that guest; many hosts however do not response entirely, another choice altogether.

Thanks Mearns, just rejigging it a bit now. I didn’t even think about the 5 shots that you see first so have moved the first 5 to give more of an overview rather than pool pool pool!.
Funny, but the house did just sell!, so yes, lacking that lived in touch, gradually getting there tho. Only been doing this since April but learning fast and really enjoying the help from this forum.
I can see how some people don’t respond to reviews at all. I’ve had a couple of guests I didn’t even lay eyes on so they are harder to review.
I’ll check out your site too, thanks

Hello Australia. I am from Nelligen on the NSW south coast. (Near Batemans bay). With the Airbnb photos unless you are in a large town or city there are no Airbnb photographers. Also understand that you cannot use these photos anywhere else as they are copyrighted and restricted for use on Airbnb which of course is only fair. Let us know how you go. In the meantime your phone photos are fine. Shoot in horizontal format though.

Thanks Clyde, I’m in City Beach a Perth suburb. I’ll request one anyway and see what pops up, can’t hurt.

Update re Airbnb photographer.
I requested the photography service, just to see if they can improve on what I’ve done, expecting a long wait, and was surprised to hear back within an hour. The photographer wanted to come on Thursday but I’m full til Monday so they’ll come then. I’ll show you how it looks after the new pics are ready.
Thanks again for all your advice
Sue

3 Likes

So that would mean I would make all the room pictures with a vacuum cleaner in it, so the guests think my rooms are clean.

Yes, much better.

And you do not really need a pro to make your pictures, just get someone that can style the place a little bit, and get a good compact with a little bit wider angle.

I am a “pro”, and most of my time I spend on preparation: removing clutter and moving stuff around.
Making the picture itself is only a matter of seconds.

1 Like

Not quite the same thing. The pool sweep runs continually. I think it looks fine in the shot. Makes the pool look real.

Hi Australia - from a fellow aussie… Re your question - I often wonder that myself!! My listing clearly states I do not serve a breakfast, but do state that guests have a selection of light breakfast items to help themselves to. I also clearly mention I have a small extremely well behaved dog. Yet I get both negative feedback - and negative personal messages - complaining about both. I have had people complain they can’t understand my automated light/fan/air conditioner switch - despite my clearly giving them a demo. I have had someone complain that I needed PAVERS to the front door, not just a path! One guest complained they didn’t like my pillows - yet I offer a selection of 6 different high quality pillows, many never used.
Many guests are just being ridiculously picky and wanting a 5 star fully catered resort, not a cheaper alternative. It seems that no matter what I offer - they still want more. The most stupid feedback I have had - I offer a bag of good quality complimentary toiletries - yet someone complained about the toothpaste! What do they expect - me to list the BRAND of toothpaste before they make a booking? If I had to mention every thing I DO offer, and what I DON’T - I wouldn’t have any guests as they would get readers’ block. So it will make no difference what info you do offer, or don’t.
One reason I do make clear mention about certain facts is to protect myself. I clearly state my house is not suitable for children. Earlier in my hosting, I had a young couple turn up on my door step - saying 'my sister and her 3 kids decided to come along too"!! I was furious and didn’t know what to do. But after being advised by Airbnb, I had every right to turn them away as my listing made this point very clear.
You just have to work out the important facts -and make them clear, and stick to them.

3 Likes

Yup, the more you do, the more you will have to do. It’s certainly galling to do extras and then get smacked because they were not a better quality extra. Think of all the things you have stated that you offer here. I have stayed at several five star resorts in my day, including the Ritz, the Mauna Lani and the 4 Seasons. I’ve never even seen half of the things you say you offer. So my advice: eliminate them and they will have less to complain about.

As for the nitpicky comments, these are probably prompted by Air with their obnoxious “what can be improved” suggestions. I’ve ranted ad nauseum about this and I just don’t know what you can do about it. Part of the cons of doing Air I am afraid.

2 Likes

Hi fellow Aussie-wow, that’s some serious nitpicking going on there!
I find the best way to get the message across about what I do and don’t offer is in the all important meet and greet. That’s when I walk around saying "the kitchens got all this stuff here (show impressive pantry of condiments/staples/draws of cooking items), but I don’t replenish it and please be sure to leave it as you see it (show them where the cleaning products etc are)
Develop friendly rapport with them at this point and by the time I walk out the door there is a level of understanding between us.
Well, that’s the plan anyway!, still being new I’ve been lucky with all fab guests leaving the house as good as they found it.
Regarding kids, I say on my listing that it’s best suited to about 6yrs + but this can be discussed. (I’ve had a couple of toddlers with no dramas), but I clearly tell them there are no safety latches, no cot/high chair, a swimming pool and extra supervision is required at all times. They can choose to take on the risk then.

Thanks for the suggestions.