How do hosts charge cleaning fees?

Just as good …

1 Like

Wow interesting comments

I’m in the Charleston South Carolina area and my room rate is in the $60 -$65 range and cleaning fee is $20 … no complaints from guest and my guests always leave rooms clean some even strip beds and bring down linens and towels … even if cooking in my kitchen then leave li clean … most take out trash before departure. I have an on call cleaning lady who thoroughly preps rooms for each guests visit and I do all the laundry. I also provide light home baked breakfast treats … I do wish I could charge more for room but I stay within the range for my area on the higher end for both room and cleaning fees … due to more amenities. I love sharing my home which always get 5 star ratings and I’m a superhost.

Check out Jill’s Southern Retreat … if in the area, come be my guest

3 Likes

I too hate the cleaning fee, but I too charge it. If I incorporated it into my nightly fee, I would seem over priced for the area. My fee is a bit to lot lower than eqivalent one bedroom apartments in my area.

As for lenght of guest stays vs value, the place has to be cleaned the same and takes me about the same time. The only difference between short and long term people is crumbs in the toaster. Scrubbing Bubbles doesnt know it the tub is barely used or filthy…same amount of time to clean.

1 Like

I have guests stay three weeks and leave it so spotless I didn’t have to clean almost. I’ve had guests stay overnight and leave a ginormous kitchen mess. No rhyme ore reason.

If I am renting a whole house with several people staying for a full week I expect to see a separate cleaning fee. Plus an extra fee if I have been allowed to bring my dog.

However for a small space or single room not intended for long stays I like to see a fixed nightly fee with no extras. Presumably if staying for a week a weekly discount rate is nice.

I think we can overcomplicate this for ourselves.

What is the advantage to the host of weekly stays? The only reason I would give a discount over my already low rates is if there were some advantage to me.

Right, but currently AirBnB includes this in the nightly rate summary, as long as they have dates selected. So whether you include it in your nightly rate or as a separate fee, they’ll still see the same rate.

On the otherhand, if they’re browsing without dates selected, I believe they see all listings and the rate without cleaning fees included. But don’t most people know the dates they’re traveling and include those?

One turnover instead of up to seven. That’s pretty huge in my book. But I also don’t charge a separate cleaning fee.

I understand if you don’t charge a cleaning fee. I charge a cleaning fee and I’m always puzzled at guests who want a discount for long stays.

Good points. When I do mystery shopper stuf, I see the lower rate even when I enter dates?..I think. I will test this. Thank you.

Guests requesting a discount for a week-long stay may assume you might not otherwise get bookings for all seven nights.

In my case they are incorrect. It’s rare that I have a night off unless I block it.

1 Like

Hey @Evian_Gutman I checked out Padlifter and wanted to chat more about possibly writing some content for your readers covering pointers we are finding are benefiting hosts both on a customer experience perspective but also on a revenue perspective. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Talk soon,

Mark.

he hi there,
i am in a discussion right now with one of my ex-guests. i gave have a bad review because they left the house in a disarray and dirty. sink full of dishes, bottles everywhere pieces of paper laying around and a puddle of water on the linoleum floor, rug was shuffed to a heap in the corner.
now he is asking what is included in the cleaning that i charge. (35€ for a 120m2 6 room apartment)
for me it is bad renting if you leave somebody’s apartment like you left for a zombie invasion.
i can live with a glass left or something but this was not a nice homecoming.
greetings!

1 Like

Idiots. A cleaning fee should really be named a prep fee or turnover fee. It’s not an excuse to leave a place trashed.
They deserved the bad review. I wouldn’t want to host them.

3 Likes

I have been a host with airbnb for a few years and charge a one time cleaning fee of $25.00 but have only hosted for 3 or 4 days. Now I’m venturing into renting aout another location that potentially will rent for long term–a month or more. How can I charge a higher cleaning fee. The website makes it sound like a one-time fee. If renting out for 1 month, I would want the cleaning fee PER WEEK. Please advise how I might change that.

I believe that you would have to make a change to the reservation to include the weekly cleaning fee.

You could submit it as an alteration.

@Linda_White I think that you should be able to simply update the cleaning fee in your dashboard and up the rate to what you would want it to be if you were charging for 4 weeks of cleaning. It’s going to look higher to the guest since its actually for 4 cleanings instead of one. You’ll just need to explain that to the guests or edit it in your description. Hope that helps a bit.

Mark
Swiftup Team

@konacoconutz That would work too.