How can Airbnb give over $6000 compensation to a guest without practicing due diligence?

I really like your idea and would love to implement it. My only concern is them catching on and us losing revenue. They have been pretty hardcore up to this point and even kept $300 in damages for a dresser our ex-tenant badly damaged.

In the future I will not wait at all before contacting the listing site to make them aware of a potential issue with a guest. Unfortunately, it was our first foray into using Airbnb with a problem tenant and we were at a loss of how to deal with it. We would never make the same mistake again.

That’s good to know :slight_smile:

Long term tenants are a headache.

1 Like

One of the things i dont get here is why this guest kept on rebooking through AIr? People have so much confidence that Airbnb will stand behind hosts 100%, BUT they are “dual agents”. They play for both sides. After my last claim was only paid 25% i take deposits from guests directly. And if someone does not trust me with deposit and does not want to pay it then i dont trust them either and wont rent to them.

Was it guest herself who wanted to renew through Air, or was it you who insisted on it?
Renting business is always a risk. We deal with humans. Everything is a risk. Nothing is easy, every business is a headache. Airbnb exist only few years, people were renting out their properties for centuries. My mother when she divorced form my father since i was 5 was renting out our spare room to medical students until the day i got married. Yes, you got your guest through website, but why not to deal with a guest directly after initial period…

And the rest of the story is just unreal. Because guest said something was not working in her rental, Air just goes and takes money from your account and pays her???

2 Likes

@Starfish Sarah, provided you are being candid and telling us exactly what happened, I think you need to escalate this matter. If your guest kept on extending her stay, it’s indicative that the guest was enjoying your place, therefore it makes no sense that her complaints would be considered legitimate and that she would be reimbursed such large amount (1/2 of the cost of her stay). I think you need to start a campaign inside airbnb’s organization (i.e. emailing every executive) and outside airbnb (e.g. letters to the local newspaper). Just because the guest received compensation doesn’t mean Airbnb won’t realize that it may have made a mistake. Keep us posted.

3 Likes

I know this is an old thread by now, and actually wonder what the OP ended up doing. I can’t stand when people post on online forums seeking advice. . .and then they don’t bother to come back to inform of future developments and what the final resolution was.

I am in a similar situation, but my loss was only around $1100. I found this post as I was looking for info about the arbitration process.

I just wanted to give my 2c. input about “playing the devil’s advocate.” Don’t forget that Airbnb is run by a bunch of 20 yo who are not required to host, but enjoy the free power trip they get by playing with someone else money. Then they cowardly hide behind the scenes, avoiding phone calls and emails and if you do get through they have a system where they are obligated to support the Case Manager’s original decision and it cannot be overruled even if insane.

How can you expect these Case Managers to act responsibly and fairly?
https://www.quora.com/Are-AirBnb-Case-managers-required-to-host-and-to-keep-their-Instant-booking-always-on/answer/Nathan-Henley-1?srid=oibi

I am going to request arbitration in my case and will report to let you know what happens.

3 Likes

Just to clarify - the ages of the four people who head Airbnb are 35 (Brian Chesky), 33 (Nathan Blercharczyk), 35 (Joe Gebbia) and 49 (Laurence Tosi).

1 Like

@Starfish may I ask what happened in the end?

1 Like

They are also all hosts…and most of they encourage their employees to host.

2 Likes

Do they rent out their own homes or just investment properties? Let’s all get together and have a wild party at Chesky’s!! After we trash the place and then deny it…wonder if that host guarantee will kick in for him…

3 Likes

not really hosts no. One or two reviews a few years ago don’t really count …

2 Likes

Yes all their own homes!! As most are in SF and the local law requires that if you do STR it must be your one and only residence (within SF)

1 Like

I’d love to see Chesky’s listing.

I’m sure you could find it on Google!

I didn’t find any current listings.

I did see his profile but no listings. The last review was someone who cancelled in Sept. 2015. Oh well…

1 Like

Oh bummer!! I know as of the 2015 Air BNB open he had a listing. Maybe he never got a permit to legally host in SF. I remember there being a local news article about one of the ABB guys illegally hosting.

2 Likes

Did either of you see the article in the New York Times about the listing in Trump Tower? Several people stayed there in the fall and through/past the inauguration. LOL. They’ve taken it down now.

3 Likes

I did see that! Great story. Secret Service shut that down but fast.

“Don’t forget that Airbnb is run by a bunch of 20 yo who are not required to host, but enjoy the free power trip they get by playing with someone else money.”

I think @gbanchini was referencing the employees of AirBnB making all these decisions are 20 somethings hiding behind a computer screen and making huge financial decisions against the people taking all the risk. Meanwhile most of these kids are probably college students who probably still live in their parent’s basements and have no idea that poor internet connection is not worth $1000/month in reparations.

5 Likes

Follow up article about the Trump Tower AirBNB this morning:

1 Like