Deleted thread due to moronic comments

Deleted thread due to a couple of moronic comments.

1 Like

I would stop renting on Airbnb. When you buy into an HOA you don’t get to pick and choose which parts of the agreement you will abide by. You don’t get to advertise (for example), “safe, gated community” or “use of pool” but continue listing when 75% of your neighbors don’t want you to. I know you don’t want to call attention to yourself but maybe you should start lobbying in your community in an effort to win a favorable vote.

3 Likes

A HOA can make its own rules, despite what local authorities have to say. Even if the board voted in favour of STRs, they could vote against them at any time with no warning. If LTRs are permitted then that’s what you should do.

The chances are that the HOA rules would have some small print that says that you are liable for fines if you continue. I really wouldn’t risk it.

To be honest, I am shocked that anyone would buy a property without reading and understanding the HOA documents. They are a legal agreement that is fundamental to owning a property that is part of an HOA.

That being said, get a copy tomorrow. Review it yourself, or if your eyes glaze over when reading legaleeze, hire a real estate lawyer for an hour to review with you.

The HOA rules supersede any local laws. If they disallow STR, then you can’t do AirBNB. Also, try to discover what they consider to be a long term rental, i.e. 30-days, 90-days, etc. And then if you have a vote, do so.

7 Likes

I would absolutely not violate HOA rules and regulations. HOAs have the power to fine you for violating the rules and restrictions. If you don’t pay the fines; they have the power to put a lien on your unit and force a sale to pay the fines. This is why I will never live any place that is governed by an HOA.

2 Likes

It’s the same with flats here and why a lot of people refuse to buy flats. The management board have ultimate authority and can say what you can and can’t do. Airbnb isn’t banned yet in my building but it could happen any day and when it does that’s me done on the platform.

2 Likes

Here is my advice. First, as someone has mentioned. Read the HOA documents. Second, call every member of the board of directors and ask them what is going on. I’ve been on a few boards and they are rarely unanimous in their views. Perhaps the one(s) you might be aligned with have been bullied or out-voted.

1 Like

Agreed. And the OP wasn’t given a copy? I would have asked for a copy.

When we bought ours we were given a copy and had to sign that we agreed before we were ‘approved’ to purchase.

I guess an HOA agreement is like the Airbnb agreement. Sign or click first, ask for help later. :joy::grin::stuck_out_tongue:

When one buys into an HOA complex, the Assn. documents are ALWAYS provided to the buyer. The seller pays for it and they are part of the Closing documents and consist of the CC&R’s, the Articles of Incorporation, Minutes of the Board meetings, House Rules, common area rules, appliance manuals, various warranties, etc., etc., etc.

The buyer is required to sign off on as having acknowledged and received them. Escrow places them all in a binder or some such because the documents are sometimes 5" thick, and given to the buyer. A buyer’s signature is required maybe 25-30 times.

There is no way the OP didn’t receive the HOA documents containing the rules regs and policies of the HOA.

2 Likes

We just bought a house in HOA community and I had to BEG the agents to give me a copy of the HOA CCRs…They all acted like NBD and I was like YES this is a big deal! If you were a first time home buyer, you may not know that it is your right to ask for the CCRs.

1 Like

@Hostess Sorry lady, you can’t delete threads. Stop name calling or YOU will be deleted from this board.

4 Likes

Please refrain from name calling or we will have to send you a formal suspension. Trust me you don’t want that. Everyone is entitled to their opinions when newer posters get defensive, the old timers tend to get a bit riled up. Also, only moderators can delete threads :wink:

2 Likes

@konacoconutz - as a fellow-moderator I suggest that this topic is not deleted because experienced members have offered valuable advice.

However, I suggest that the OP be removed from this forum (or maybe that has already happened?) because of her rudeness to members who were only trying to help. So many members take up their valuable time - and it’s a commodity that busy hosts have very little of - to answer queries in order to help their fellow hosts.

To have this help received with rudeness and name-calling is simply not acceptable.

4 Likes

It was sorta freaky when the OP had a Jekyll and Hyde reaction and ended up erasing all of his/her text. {I’m not convinced it was a ‘she’ in spite of the title Hostess. I’m also a bit suspect that he/she was the owner.)

Without that initial post and topic explaining the situation, aren’t the subsequent comments kinda pointless? And once text is deleted, isn’t it forever gone?

1 Like

I do agree this thread has become redundant.

It did make me smile because the responses, while clearly not what the OP wanted to hear, were not in any way moronic.

2 Likes

Done while most of you were asleep!

3 Likes