Helping guests to help themselves

It definitely sounds like there was some level of miscommunication to me. But I expect you didn’t try to clear it up when they arrived. I wouldn’t have either - life is too short.

1 Like

I LOVE this idea because I can easily do it with non perishables.

Option 1: oat crackers, cheese, nuts and dried fruit,

Option 2: Homemade hummus with olive oil and smoked paprika, oat crackers, nuts and dried fruit

Choice of miso, bovril, tea or coffee.

Done. And I always have these things at home.

3 Likes

It’s incredible if you love culture, history and architecture. I often feel very lucky.

All those options sound delicious. By the way, your guests are crazy if they don’t like your cheese. One culinary thing the English do outstandingly is dairy.

1 Like

Awh thanks EllenN!

Yes! We have some exceptional cheese; I get mine in borough market (40 minute walk which I do because it’s all along the river and very beautiful) from a guy who only does English cheese. I recently found an artisan cheese made in Bath which is exactly like oaxaca cheese. I was so happy because one thing I loved about Mexico was that cheese!

my guests probably don’t realise how much of a foodie I am and how expensive the stuff they’re chowing down is. I think that’s the galling bit but I’ll get over it.

I realised a while back that when I spend my money on really nice food I eat all of it, dont waste anything (I’m really not ok about food waste) and get maximum taste and enjoyment out of every mouthful. One Chinese takeaway in London is one organic free range chicken from the farm. I prefer the latter :slight_smile: though don’t tell anyone I love 7up so I’m in no way chemical free, just mostly :slight_smile:

Here’s part of my walk down to the market. It’s lovely living along the river :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I love Borough Market. I have purchased some of the best cheeses, salts, vinegars, and vegetables there. I am almost out of the balsamic vinegar I bought during my last trip– he comes up from Italy with his family’s product. I suppose that type of trade will end when Brexit is implemented.

2 Likes

I really like SandyToes solution

It won’t end but prices will go up I expect. If you need more vinegar sent I am happy to do food aid parcels :wink:

I’m pretty sure I know the guy as I buy my olive oil from him.

Thanks, @Gardenhost! I just gave some thought to what I might do in the same situation…and make money on it. Gotta keep an eye on the goal! What better opportunity than to have captured guests who are in that predicament due to their ignoring all the warnings.

(Now if I could only figure out how to get a good review when the guests realize they are paying a premium for the eats.)

Lol. Was a great idea and I can easily implement it. Don’t know how popular paying for food will be; my late check in fee of £15 has been highly unpopular. So much so that I haven’t checked in anyone after midnight in over a year. The people who need to arrive late go elsewhere.

1 Like

Put translations of your policies and location on your site. People never read stuff, but when they are fishing around on a foreign site, and they see there native language, they might just read it! Also, I would sent a message in a checklist form, so they HAVE to respond to all of the policies and local taxi and late eating options. I get quite a few check-ins after 10, but I have restaurants near by that serve late. Hosting can be frustrating, when guests clearly do not read and understand, but I think things will be clearer to them if you are firm. Also, I leave healthy breakfast type snack bars and water for each guest, just in case they are too tired or their flight is delayed. Yes, food can get expensive! Good luck~

Genius, Zandra. And come up with a price that reimburses you and then some.

I really am not sure this was a case of not understanding. It’s in the house rules and I repeated myself in a conversation during which I got responses to what I had said/asked. But sure I will continue to send the written information over and I will continue to ask if they read the house rules, and I suspect continue to have people turn up expecting a restaurant to be open late.

Still I have a plan. Check in time has changed to something that ensures they have outside dinner options and I now have my snack menu. Boom!

Wouldn’t have thought of any of those ideas myself so all power to the forum and the wonderful people who populate it.

5 Likes

The genius is all @SandyToes. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you, thank you!!

(Sandy blushes, takes a bow and gives a royal wave as she exits off the stage.)

Review from these guests is in and they gave me 3 stars overall and dinged me on accuracy. Apparently the size of the room and the property in general wasn’t accurately represented.

Since the title of my listing is small, cosy room I am somewhat surprised.

I’m hugely irritated at the moment. A few days ago guests broke a key that will cost £25 to replace and I have no confidence in the resulting centre as they recently decided that the £10 I wanted for a missing umbrella was too much and sided with the guests offering of £3.

This is all the same guest and clearly, this guest is a bad egg.

I can see in the grand scheme of things these are smal issues; just reminding myself not to feel upset and to keep a sense of proportion which is hard, admittedly.

2 Likes

One thing is for sure; henceforth I’ll be cancelling anyone whose English isn’t up to par; my listing isn’t suitable for these guests because it’s not your standard listing and people need to be 100% clear on what they’re getting.

1 Like

Snack Option #2: Small can of SPAM, a packet of crackers and a fork on a paper plate – no kitchen use, remember!

4 Likes

@KenH

LOL, works for me, Ken, but hey, who eats SPAM out of the can? (yuck)

1 Like