Help for dissertation

Hello!

I am a masters student from Goldsmith University in London who is writing my dissertation on Airbnb hosts and/or Superhosts. I would love to hear some of your experiences being a host and/or Superhost on the site. Did you find that it was “worth it”?

I would also love to hear from guests who have stayed with Superhosts, look for the Superhost badge when searching for lodging on the site etc.

I’ve put together a quick, 5 minute survey. If you can spare the time the feedback would really be invaluable to my research. If you have any questions at all feel free to respond to me and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.

Thank you!

Elizabeth L.

Hello @Liz_Lagno what specifically are you looking at in your dissertation ? What question are you seeking to answer?

Hmmmm. Theres no change in the way Airbnb describe listings - so in my opinion your first premise is somewhat inaccurate. Airbnb has always been about staying with hosts and living like a local. This was the case in 2012 when I made my first booking on the site and continues to be the case.

In actuality the opposite is happening, with Airbnb launching a superior listing service that has NONE of the elements of living with a local. Last year they launched business ready listings - again no living with a local and no interacting with hosts. You are referring to the Airbnb of yesteryear - that version has been and gone. In fact you’re referring to a version of Airbnb that probably only really existed in the beginning, despite all the marketing spiel they like to guff.

By the way I like Airbnb. I just don’t drink the Koolaid. (No idea how you spell koolaid).

2 Likes

send it on to me and will do, am a superhost

Send to me too.
I have a love-hate relationship with SH status.

Thank you!

Here are the questions:

1. How long have you been a SuperHost?

2. How long were you hosting (on Airbnb) before you became a SuperHost? Were you renting the same space out before Airbnb came around?

3. Have you ever lost the SuperHost badge? Why?

4. Do you find that being a SuperHost is “worth it”? E.g. do you see an increase in bookings overall (or, versus VRBO), feel that Airbnb provides extra perks (over being a regular host) etc?

5. Do you think Airbnb should compensate SuperHosts more for earning the badge? E.g. paid a better rate, more perks etc?

6. How many hours per week do you devote to Airbnb? Speaking with guests, maintaining your profile etc.

7. On average, how much time do you spend speaking with a guest (on the phone, email etc.) before they arrive?

8. Have you ever used Airbnb when traveling?

9. If yes, what do you look for when booking a space? Do you look for the SuperHost badge? Have you stayed with a SuperHost before? Did you find the experience superior to staying with a regular host?

10. Do you find yourself getting “host fatigue”? E.g. feel burnt out meeting guest’s expectations, lots of turnover etc.

@cassid @TuMo feel free to send your answers back to me privately