Heating on throughout the night

I am asked about air con here in Hawaii and I say oh no, ocean breezes are better. I was once asked for a heater by my worst guest ever!

7 degrees is actually freezing cold for me, Iā€™m from Australia and I would expect the heat on, certainly if you havenā€™t advertised itā€™s restricted. I supply all my guests with electric blankets and super sonic heaters and fans all year round and they get used- no restrictions.

2 Likes

I agree that meeting guest expectations in terms of ambient temperature should be a priority, but within reason.

My accommodation is in the northeastern part of the US, where is gets very cold in the winter. I currently have a long term renter in a room in my home who hails from a much warmer climate. Before accepting the reservation we chatted about this fact and set some expectations on both sides in terms of comfortable temperature. I was okay with the fact we might be heating that room to a higher temp than we normally would.

My spouse, who tends to be awake in the middle of the night, thought there was something wrong with our furnace, as it could be heard cycling on all night long. Heating that one room shouldnā€™t have caused that. Come to find out, when it was 10 degrees F outside, the renter had the heat on AND the window open! I never saw that one coming.

1 Like

i would not stay in a room that I could not be comfortably warm

2 Likes

Similar to here. Quite often I find that guests have the AC set to a low temperature with the windows open!

I believe that if someone rents from you either a room/apartment or house they should be able to adjust the temperature to their needs or schedule. Our apartment is the first level of our home and is generally colder than the upper two levels of our house. We installed a gas fireplace with a remote for use by our guests so if it gets chilly or they need to warm up they donā€™t need to contact me to get warm. The heating and air conditioning in the house are maintained in the main part of our home and the visitors donā€™t have access to the thermostat. Conversely the first level is cooler when the air conditioning is on and some of our guests from Australia or from the south in the US prefer it warmer and we will keep the AC on a higher temp to accommodate them even though our bedroom on the third level may be a little warm. By the way we have ceiling fans in every room of our home and this really helps with air circulation and in the winter we have the air flow upwards and in the summer downwards. I understand about not wanted to have the extra expense but we need to accomodate the needs of our guests.

In the US this would be unacceptable. However, my house has a 95% efficient natural gas heater and is well insulated with all air gaps filled. Actually airgaps are THE most important part of heating. The largest bill I have had with this arrangement with a 2100 sqft home during January is about $120 US. I do NOT allow the temp over 73F and I do drop the temp to 68F at from 12 AM to 6:30 AM. Like I said though, in the US people want to be warm. I have never heard of any health issues other than possible Carbon Monoxide issues, but then I have a sensor for that.

1 Like

In the south of France (I canā€™t remember which town we stayed in) we found a budget hotel with AC. It was great. But even a place with fans in Florence was so comfy compared to the places without.

1 Like