Have to leave my first bad review

Below please find the copy I am thinking of leaving for the guest in question. Am I giving enough information or too much? Is it clear to you as a host what sort of guest this was and tell you if you’d want to host this person yourself? All comments and critiques welcome.

I cannot recommend X to other Airbnb hosts. He did a very bad job of cleaning up after himself, didn’t make me aware of issues, and disrespected the property.

• The kitchen floor was stained with numerous food spills.
• The sink was left with a basin full of cold water and dirty, greasy dishes and pans, despite the fact the house has a dishwasher in perfect working order.
• Two casserole dishes had to be discarded due to food having been baked/burned on and just left that way.
• The stovetop was covered with a thick layer of grease.
• The toilet no longer flushed properly, requiring an emergency visit from the plumber. I was never made aware of a problem.
• The garage door opener was disconnected from the motor so the door no longer opened.
• X had uncrated a new motorcycle and left all the packing materials in the garage for me to deal with.
• It appears the battery in the CO2 detector ran low, as when I returned to the house, the detector had been removed from its wall plug. This was fine, but as well, the smoke alarm had been ripped out of the ceiling, which required rewiring by an electrician, also on an emergency basis. I would, of course, have come to personally fix the problem if X had only alerted me and provided a time for me to enter the house.
• The house was left with air conditioners running and lights and ceiling fans on, as well as the back door unlocked.

1 Like

I think it’s too long, just use your first paragraph and maybe include the most important problems (they left the kitchen a complete mess) and say including but not limited to …
There are some really good writers here who might word it well!

Speaking for us writers :sunglasses:, I would like the host to try to word it herself from the pieces she has given. Honestly, there is nothing wrong with telling it all when you have this much to tell! It just needs a little editing. Keep in mind you have 500 words max.

6 Likes

WOW. Just, wow. :scream: What an awful guest experience.

I liked your wording just fine. I hope he gets booted off the platform.

6 Likes

That’s so unfortunate. I think the review is fine as is. Maybe the detector situation can be summarized a bit more. Are you planning on seeking any sort of compensation? Also, is this guest a newbie or did they have previous reviews? Sorry you had to go through this experience!

3 Likes

I think your review is good as is. I appreciate all the detail. If you’d just said that the guest left the kitchen a mess I wouldn’t know if that meant he/she left a coffee cup out or trashed the place.

Disabling CO2 and smoke detectors is dangerous. If I were you I would ask Airbnb to ban the guest for this.

5 Likes

I agree with @konacoconutz – the review needs a bit of editing – remove “the” from the start of nearly all bullet points, and tighten up the language…

What a nightmare of a guest…plumber and electrician needed! My biggest fears!

How awful! I guess you could shorten the kitchen items to something like “left the kitchen a geasy mess and didn’t wash used items or load the dishwasher” if you have to shorten. Off-topic, but reminds me of an airbnb in which my BIL and I were wandering desperately around 3 floors in our pjs trying to find the low battery beeping smoke detector at 2:00 am. SIL is a sound sleeper. . .

@Chloe

Now That Is A Smoldering Ashes Type Review! Love. It.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear of all these problems… what a nightmare!

I like your review and would change very little, except:

• condense the kitchen mess into no more than 2 bullet points
  • from the “CO2” paragraph, take out “That was fine, but as well,”
  • last paragragraph take out everything except that the back door was left unlocked (the others are minimal in comparison to everything else).
1 Like

Sorry @Chloe, what an awful guest and experience. I like all the detail you’ve added. For context, I would also want to know how long the stay was.

So sorry this happened to you @Chloe - how did the guest respond when you put in a claim for the emergency call outs/extra cleaning etc?

Thank you all for your thoughts. I’ve tightened up the language a bit, but added in some new infractions.

I cannot recommend X. During his 8 night stay he did a very bad job of cleaning up after himself, didn’t make me aware of issues, didn’t communicate well and disrespected the property.

• Kitchen floor stained with many food spills and stovetop covered with a thick layer of grease.
• Sink full of cold water and dirty, greasy dishes and pans, though there’s a working dishwasher.
• Two casserole dishes ruined with baked/burned on food.
• Toilet no longer flushed properly, requiring an emergency plumber visit. I was never made aware of a problem.
• Garage door opener disconnected from the motor so door no longer opened.
• X had uncrated a new motorcycle and left all the packing materials in the garage.
• CO2 detector battery ran low, and the unit had been removed from its wall plug. This was fine, but also, the smoke alarm was ripped out of the ceiling, requiring rewiring by an electrician, also on an emergency basis. I would, of course, have come to fix the problem if X had only alerted me and provided a time for me to enter the house.
• Air conditioners, lights and fans left running and back door left unlocked.
• Originally booked for 6 nights. On checkout day, 2 hours past checkout time, X finally asked if he could stay longer, only after a text message asking when he’d be out so the cleaner could get in.
• Informed me on new checkout day that he needed to stay 3 hours past check out time.

Some of these issues, if committed by other guests that were otherwise fine, I wouldn’t even bother mentioning. I mention them here because I feel the totality of everything is particularly egregious. However, I don’t want to appear nit picky to future guests.