Guests with dog causing problems

Hello forum,
I have some guests who mislead me, and have their dog in the room 23 hours a day. They have puppy pads on the floor, and the dog is doing all its business there, other than going for one walk a day. approx 1 hour.
I’ve asked them to take the dog out more, but they have not responded. I feel mislead because I assumed the dog would have the run of the house, use our doggie door, go outside to the back yard, do business there, and be taken for walks. And that the puppy pads would be used only at night/ emergencies. I’m concerned about the smell- sometimes I can smell ammonia rom the room, and they don’t even change the pads as soon as the wee is done. Im worried it will get into the bed, linen, and affect future guests. It seems completely unsanitary to me, and Ive even see the girl walking in socks through wee on a puppy pad. Im also concerned that the dog is sleeping on my lovely linen 23 hours a day. Can I kick them out? And claim on the bond of cleaning all the bedding and extra room cleaning? Thanks for the support, Cheers Kris

PS they even leave the dog in the room to come to the toilet, shower, and the dog barks and barks.

Have you talked to the guest? What did she say? How did you ask them to take the dog out? In person? If so, summarise the conversation and your concerns on the Airbnb message system. (Further to our conversation today… etc)

Be sure to have a ‘paper trail’ of events in the message system.

So if you’ve talked to the guest and there’s been no response, then call Airbnb at once. The guest’s behaviour is completely unacceptable.

4 Likes

I definitely agree with Jaquo on this one - it’s a health concern as well! Gross.

Whatever profit you make will be eaten up by new carpet. Personally I’d never allow anyone to treat my property this way & they’d be out already.

1 Like

Do they leave the dog alone and go out of the house? I have a rule that if the dog is to be left unattended, it must be crated. What they are doing is cruel to the dog and I would be asking them to leave, calling Airnb asap.

This is an animal welfare issue and would make me so angry! Not to mention the potential damage to your property. I would ask them to leave and probably report them for animal cruelty too.

How long are they booked to stay?

they are booked to stay another 2 weeks. Yes Ive asked them to change the puppy pads immediately after, and take the dog out more. I have definitely expressed my concerns.

Yes I’m feeling very angry about it! So hard when people have different standards. They leave the dog alone and go out, and it barks if I am at home.

I want to ask them to leave. Do i have to refund them for the remaining days pro rata? I have a strict cancellation policy, but if I am kicking them out, how does it work? I have a $500 bond, so will need to use some of that to wash the linen, doona, pillow, and have the cleaners do a THOROUGH clean of every surface in the room.

And if i ask them to leave, how much notice do i give? I was thinking 48 hours

Airbnb will tell you when you call them. As @Gardenhost says, I would be inclined to contact the animal welfare people.