Guest's WIFI Use

The fact that he said he needs it for work isn’t that important. He said he needed a lot of data. You would be in the same pickle if he’d used it all for work, right ?

to be honest as soon as he said ‘I need a lot of data’ that was your chance to say ‘ok no problem but just be aware I have a maximum of x amount’.

i don’t believe it’s necessary to say ‘hey I game’ or ‘hey I stream Netflix and spotify’. Why? Because it’s a bit nerdy and unfortunately people judge. So he went with work but did indicate he intended to use a lot… and he did!

Is that minecraft he’s playing? It’s an oldie but goodie :slight_smile:

I have a slightly different take on this. When I decided to host, I made sure to upgrade my package so that guests would never experience slow WiFi speeds and I wouldn’t have to place limits on them. I am looking at it from the point of view of a traveler…I expect there to be WiFi anywhere I go in the world. Unless the listing says ‘free WiFi’ I won’t book there. In 2017 it’s as much of a necessity as running water and electricity. SO, i suppose it depends on your point of view, but I try to provide everything I would expect if i were renting someone’s guest room. I would be offended if my host imposed limits on me, especially if restrictions weren’t listed in the house rules.

Then again, I have better things to do while on holiday then play video games, but that’s another story. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes 300gb is a lot, but I read somewhere that Netflix uses about 1gb per hour, so it’s not really inconceivable over the course of a month

And then this happened…

Here’s the one he currently plays and is probably overloading bandwidth limits in multiple locations!

“Factorio.”

As well as

Counter Strike GO, osu, dota 2, terraria, emulators…

He says his brother plays one called CIV… which has real history of civilizations but you can remake them into your own versions.

Ok Dota I know and have played. The rest is too boy for me! I play the sims :smiley:

2 Likes

you might like factorio. They have to cooperate to build a thriving factory. (From what I can tell as I listen in)

1 Like

Hehe!! you listen in!!!

Just looked up factorio and it’s on steam. Going to download it later it looks fantastic !!

2 Likes

YES!!! You will love it…

My other son plays:

anything by paradox, rim world, prison architect
Anything by Paradox development Studios

1 Like

Like jackulas I pay up for unlimited, high speed and I have a wifi booster. My guests and I are averaging less than 100gb a month the last four months but I never want a guest to have a problem with it.

3 Likes

Zandra, my son says to connect with him… his steam is Kyle7000.

His other partner left on vacation, I think he needs a partner!

He has another message for you:

Although if she likes mine craft
She should really get terraria instead
Reccomend it
It’s very close to mine craft but better

1 Like

Awesome!! That’s exactly what I’ll do :smiley:

1 Like

Tell her
A good YouTube series is Katherine of Sky
To learn about the game

Also (from Mom) He is an excellent and patient gaming teacher! You will enjoy playing with him!

1 Like

I think that in the case that a guest needs a WiFi usage that goes beyond the usual limits, not only data-wise, but also speedwise, they should make sure that this is possible before they make the booking. I remember reading reviews of one of those Airbnb bloggers - world travellers. In like half of the reviews they complain about the speed of the internet, because they need to upload a shitload of videos and other stuff in order to run their blog efficiently. If you know in advance you need this kind of service, why not simply ask? Sometimes it’s not about the host skimping on the internet, but certain services are simply unavailable in some areas. For example, in my country it is almost impossible to get the optic fibre high speed internet. The infrastructure is simply not in place. I would willingly share this info with any guest who would be kind enough to ask in advance about the speed and limits of my WiFi. I think Germany faces a similar problem with good, high quality internet simply not being provided. Guests should inform themselves what the situation is if the internet is so important for them, IMHO. Same goes for any other amenity they have special requests about.

2 Likes

I have had several guests who worked in the video game industry. It is possible that he is not lying when he says he uses a lot of data for work.

Yes that’s true. I have a friend who works for Nintendo and her job is games testing / games demonstrating.

1 Like

He would love a job like that, although he just got a bachelor’s in political science!
He says to tell you Steam is having a sale so it is a good time to buy! hahah

1 Like

Have look at your contract and read the fine print, I bet they have a fair use policy.
You think you are a heavy user? Start doing torrents and transfer a few Terrabyte of data per day, see how soon your provider will come knocking on your door.

Gaming does not use a lot of data. He is probably watching Netflix on is Xone. 3 or 4 hours every evening quickly adds up to those 300 Gb a month.

I have tv or Netflix streaming about 8 hours a day. So yep I’m a heavy user. And my ISP really doesn’t have a limit on usage :slight_smile:

I have no idea what ‘so excessive’ might be. I might call them and find out.

1 Like