Guests who refuse to communicate via Airbnb

I realized on my last day of my trip to Prague that I could use my unlimited US Skype out plan to call home landlines for free. I also used it to call the US 800 line of Lufthansa to get seats on the oberdeck 24 hours before departure.

As I said, there is an AT&T store four blocks from my house so it’s pretty easy to get a local chip.

We are also live in hosts. We have had to work very hard to help guests who don’t get a local chip. They want written directions including hours of operation to local tourist attractions. Twice we have had guests who didn’t buy local chips get lost returning to our house. One of them wanted us to show him on a map where he went wrong and what route would have been correct.

I understood what you wrote. You do not need to repeat.
I never addressed you with my post. :confounded:

That is just too much! Surely they can :eyes: It up! Wow :flushed: how did they even get a job and book a :airplane:. Imagine them in an emergency. Whilst there need to be an appreciation for the difficulties in many countries, and those travelling for 1-2 days only in a country, I would be saying to these guests, here is the website (& brochure if you have it), use x maps (or public transport planner app). Oh and have a great day! If you need to see maps when you’re out and about I suggest getting a sim with data from x.’

I’ve had guests that are too needy. You give them the information and they want to check with you that what it says in black and white is really true. Guests like that are a true drain of energy.

1 Like

I had a prospective guest who kept telling me to phone her and no matter how many times I would tell her that her phone number was hidden she would try sending it asking me if I could see it now.

2 Likes

Talking about guests that are needy: I just had a query that went along the lines of;

Hi do you provide towels, if so how many; can we use the kitchen; can we leave our luggage late.

My reply; yes, I provide 1 towel, as per the listing kitchen access is not available, I don’t provide a left luggage service. I also hit decline.

Response: oh but we really want to stay and we don’t need kitchen access. Can you provide two fresh towels daily?

My thoughts; for £16 per head, nope. I just didn’t bother responding… the guest clearly needs someone who can provide more of a hotel service.

EDIT: despite my attempts to head this off the guest has now instant booked. :rofl::tired_face::confounded:

4 Likes

Oh s$&t!!! And watch you get a crap review because you “only” gave one towel!!
Ok, I am confused. I’m not on IB. You can decline an IB guest? If so, then how did they book!!!

2 Likes

Zandra, I thought you were quitting!!!

so did I. Awful but Airbnb is currently my main source of income :disappointed:

2 Likes

If your listing is on Instant Book guests have the option of using Instant Book or of sending an inquiry or a booking request. It sounds like @Zandra’s potential guests sent an inquiry, got declined, then Instant Booked. @Zandra has the option of using one of her penalty free Instant Book cancellations for these guests as they clearly either didn’t read her listing or want the rules to be suspended for them.

When my hair was long, I vastly preferred to have two towels, one to dry my hair. When I see that a guest has long hair, I offer an extra towel.

3 Likes

But if they were declined, they can book anyway??? That’s nuts!

1 Like

I agree. I think that if you decline a guest, Airbnb should give you the option of not accepting Instant Bookings from the guest.

3 Likes

Yep to be honest it’s crazy that a host can decline stating the property isn’t suitable only for a guest to instant book. And to be honest I declined because I knew my place wouldn’t meet their expectations.

1 Like

I was just about to say the same thing!

Oh :frowning: I hope it all works out for you! Have you looked at perhap doing petvacay or similar for during the days?

1 Like

Ummm what’s that ? Pets in my place ?

Dogbuddy I think it’s called in the uk and similar sites. Like Airbnb for pets. You can sign up to look after or just walk pets

1 Like

@zandra has said here that she’s allergic to pet dander.

4 Likes

I so rarely decline anyone that I couldn’t tell you the last time I did so. However, on the rare occasions when I get a guest inquiring (like the one who asked two questions about the location of Costco relative to my home) and I don’t feel like offering concierge service I just block the day they are asking about off. Then a couple of days later I’ll open it back up and it often gets booked by someone else.

:worried:

2 Likes

I wasn’t going to labour the point. But yes allergic to animals particularly dogs.