Guests vanished

I am following this post

Project Mockingbird never died?!

I find it kind of ironic that since following this post, I have vanished myself and my guests are clueless, should I tell them, of course in due time but they are independent and don’t need me, all their supplies are there so no big deal. My son is around for emergencies. They are checking out tmr and I don’t want them freaking out that I am in the hospital having emergency surgery- plus it’s none of their business. I do like to leave a thsnkyou card and lollies so it’s a shame I won’t be there to do that.

I suspect one of your guests is ill and they have just been busy dealing with that but should contact you if they can’t return until check out.

Just interesting to think about it from the other side.

Wishing you a speedy recovery xx

3 Likes

I’d just say something like, “hey, I just want to let you know I had to attend to a family emergency–normally I try to personally see guests off and I apologize that I’m unable to do so for you guys. I hope you have a safe flight back, and my son is happy to help with any issues that may arise from now until your checkout. He can be reached at xyz number. Since I won’t be seeing you from now til then, I hope you have a safe trip back. Cheers!”

1 Like

So it turns out I was right to be concerned, I have since spoken to the police who notified me they were both in a car accident and in the hospital.

14 Likes

That’s terrible! I hope they will recover soon and that their family was already noticed.

Woah, that’s awful! When you mentioned they didn’t turn up for checkout I began to think this was something far weirder than wandering around doing their own thing for a bit.

I hope they’re okay!

1 Like

That is a terrible update, poor guests! How did you find out this from the police…did they track you down or did you report them missing to the police? Are you going to visit them and drop off their bags? Are they badly injured :face_with_head_bandage:

Sorry I’m just being nosey and want all the details.

It makes me realize Airbnb is quite useless and should have a field for ‘emergency contact’ for each booking one makes.

We have a government website called Smart Traveller that you can enter all details of os travel, address & phone of every accommodation, who you’ll be with, flight/train/hire car details emergency contacts for whole trip. It’s how the consulates find people when there is a crisis. I use it but I am doubtful most do.

3 Likes

And now the discussion can start wether as a host you should visit these people in hospital :sweat_smile:.

I believe that as a host you don’t have any obligations, but I would definitely give them a visit.

5 Likes

Lol! Can you do another poll, I haven’t worked the technology out yet he he

1 Like

Can you give me the exact question and possible answers? :wink:
And do you want it here or in a separate topic?

Were you joking :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: and slightly mocking my poll building talents :laughing:?

1 Like

How about:
If you found out your guests/a guest were in
Hospital would you:

A. Visit them, drop their bags off and offer to refund days they won’t be staying if they are not coming home to you.

B. Visit but that’s it. Maybe offer a flower :hibiscus: from your garden of :heart:️

C. Do nothing and tell ABB to collect their belongings at checkout if it’s still there.

D. Put the injured guests family up and sing kumbia together each night.

2 Likes

If you found out your guest/-s were in hospital would you…

• Visit them, drop their bags off and offer to refund days they won’t be staying if they are not coming home to you.
  • Visit but that’s it. Maybe offer a flower :hibiscus: from your garden of :heart:
  • Do nothing and tell ABB to collect their belongings at checkout if it’s still there.
  • Put the injured guests family up and sing kumbia together each night.

0 voters

3 Likes

Good point. They should. Someone should write to them, and suggest it. One could even cite the example of guests being involved in a car accident.

2 Likes

Hahaha this has made my morning! The results even more so! :joy:

3 Likes

Lawl! Kumbya is winning! Even I voted for it. :laughing: too funny!!!

PS! I almost voted Do Nothing, but I would have been the only one!

2 Likes

LOL… Social pressure is a b***h !

1 Like

Oh no you wouldn’t. Guess what my vote was… :slight_smile:

1 Like

You must have just voted because it was 0% when I voted, hahah.

One choice is missing.

"Deliver the guest bags to hospital room. Don’t bring flowers or cards. And don’t offer a refund. "

5 Likes