Guests vanished

Hi @Korl

Why don’t you call Airbnb. They often have other contact details for your guests.

Also message your guest just to let them know you are a little concerned as they didn’t return and when they are back online can they confirm with you that all is okay. It might just be their phones are out of battery and they decided to stay with friends, but I can understand why you are concerned.

And, of course, they have a key to your place and your SIM card.

I am trying to be like @jaquo and say “they are adults” but this whole situation feels “off” to me, plus now the security of your future guests is going to be compromised. I assume that you don’t re-key between guests.

I am starting to like my lock-box more and more. The key never leaves the property, but is available to the guests, with their own private code, during their stay.

1 Like

What a strange situation! I’d change the lock after check-out, just to be on the safe side. Leave a card on the door saying that locks have been changed and to contact you to get access to their belongings.
I’d also tell AirBnB and filing for a lock change charged on the guests.

Maybe they lost your address and their phones died? It sounds so unlikely, but what is likely in this situation?!
Maybe call the police and inform them of the situation, ask if they have heard about two American tourists that got in trouble or were hospitalized.

I am sorry. I misunderstood the whole story.

I thought these were the old guests and you met some “other” new guests. And these (leaving) guests just wanted you to hold their huge backpacks while they walked around town for their last few hours. And you were being nice by still letting them use your SIM card.

Is this a whole home rental or shared space?

i had a guest disappear for over a week. I was worried as I knew he was mentally unstable, and had no family that he talked to in the country. He left everything here and kept telling me he had 1/2 million in his account to buy a house. I reached out a few times and no reply and then airbnb eventually got him and he was fine. He never returned, got a call from him and that was really abusive, he called me a C*nt for trying to find out if he was alive. I just hung up, airbnb paid for locks to be changed immediately and never heard from him again. I refused to review him, he was not well and should not be going into a person’s home.

You don’t know who or what is coming into your home, people are odd, especially as live in hosts, you can worry, but once they are adults let them be.

1 Like

In the spirit of keeping everyone updated; they didn’t show up for their check-out. Their luggage is still in the room untouched. Luckily I have no other guests for several days so it’s not an inconvenience.

I have since called AirBNB, they said they would try to contact them. Although I’ve attempted the same, I doubt they have more ways of contacting them, realistically?

The plot thickens…

2 Likes

I would call the police.

Wow, this is so weird. Something’s definitely wrong.

@Korl you are in Germany, correct? I would probably reach out to thr police at this point.

Hi @Korl

Actually Airbnb do have ways of getting hold of guests that we don’t, that’s why I suggested you contact them.

As @cassid said in her post about her missing guest

’ I reached out a few times and no reply and then airbnb eventually got him and he was fine’

Do let us know what happens.

What - rather than using left luggage :slight_smile:

No, no they are not. But thank you for reaching out to me!

I have since called the Police and filled a missing persons report. Will keep you all informed.

2 Likes

Hey @Korl - hope you’re not stressing out the lost Airbnbers. I experienced this one when a female solo traveler who was in contact through text until 7pm didn’t show up for the night. I was paid for the booking but called Airbnb Support Team and told them that I never got to host the person.

They refunded the amount and nobody had to leave any reviews.

To anyone reading this, if I’m unable to tackle a tricky guest situation myself, I’ve decided to only discuss (unusual) matters with Airbnb rather than getting other official or unofficial authorities.

For example - recently I had a guest from South Korea come to the US for the first time. I was traveling and couldn’t meet him in person. Plus, he didn’t speak much English either.

When the moment arrived for him to pick up the key from the hidden spot, he panicked as if he didn’t know if the cab driver got him to the right address. Long story short - I was able to find him on FB, add him as a friend and do a voice call to pacify him and guide him to the apartment. He left an amazing review and I was so happy to be able to provide him a meaningful experience. #humblebrag

What ways are those? I’ve occasionally asked them to try to locate/contact someone when they were not responding. The most they’ve ever done is call the number on record. Mostly I don’t do that because it would be too expensive.

I don’t know you’d have to ask them @faheem :slight_smile: But that’s what they say on their website and when I had a guest not responding to me contacting them they found a way of reaching them. I can’t remember if when we complete profiles we provide emergency numbers?

Maybe through the verification sources provided when registering for an account? I know you can use LinkedIn or Facebook as verification - could be other sources too that I’m not remembering.

I think this case is weird because the people left their luggage and never came back for their check out time! If there was foul play, their families will soon be looking for them. Personally I would not have called police, you are making yourself responsible when you really are not! Let their families file those reports! Keep us posted.

I feel the same way. I’d alert Airbnb but that would be all.

1 Like

That’s good to know!