Guests complain because I don't serve breakfast - Not a true Airbnb they say

I understand your logic Clyde. There are so many Airbnb rooms within a stone’s throw of my place I want to stand out and the way to do this is great reviews. And I wanted to wow them through my generosity which of course is all factored in to the price. Although I don’t leave anywhere near as much as you do, I’ve left a bottle of champagne for some newlyweds, Belgian chocolate rabbits for the guests who were here over Easter, and have a selection of small soft drinks (Coke, lemonade, lemon solo - but interestingly almost no one ever drinks these) plus bread, butter, milk, juice, tea coffee, and sparkling and still water.

I’ve hosted about 65 guests now and the most commonly mentioned thing in the reviews which I find interesting is this: The room is spotless - yes it is and everything is white and crisp and ironed. AND, that although I’m friendly, I leave the guests to themselves. The last three reviews mentioned this. Host is easy to reach, friendly and welcoming, but best of all leaves you to do your own thing and you won’t see them unless you need to!

So I’m thinking privacy is the thing that has elevated me to superhost status more so than the stuff I leave for guests. :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

WE are not the norm if not in downtown and brickell, entire homes aka studios are usually not in a convenient place .

I know for sure that I am far away from the tourist spots close to south beach and downtown Miami so I make my location more about a stop over to te keys or a close place for our major wedding venues.

Wilburforce I agree we have to stand out so the little I get for breakfast is very minimal and only a starter breakfast at that.

6 pack bottle spring water 1.00
six pack English muffin .85
one stick of butter .30
jar of jam for all to share. 1.00
coffee and tea replenished by us about .50
chocolate bar from Aldi’s .65

total :4.30 which is included in the costs.

I checked the no breakfast but guests are please to see something offered. and that always brings up high comments from guests.

Where do you shop?? 6 muffins for 85c?, jam for a 1$?

2 Likes

Now that’s an interesting question.

I guess nowadays Wifi is just about the most important amenity. If I didn’t provide free Wifi, I am sure I would get very bad reviews indeed.

Having said that, food is almost as important to human beings as Wifi is. So I do think shampoo or air condition are “nice to have”, but breakfast is absolutely essential. Well, it is for me. As I mentioned before, other people might view this differently.

1 Like

Guests are paying for a safe, comfortable, economical place to stay rather than a hotel. They are not paying for my time. I clearly state that in my listing. I provide tea, coffee, instant oatmeals, breakfast bars, 30 Reviews, all favorable, and there have been plenty of times my guests have left me tips, extra money with a note of thanks. So, I’m thinking what I’m doing is working.

3 Likes

I never got any tip, almost 200 guests:cry:

I’m with you. Guests are paying for something different. Every Airbnb is different. Every guest is different. We need to disabuse both guests and hosts from the idea that with Airbnb you get a generic experience - i.e. breakfast is included, wifi is free, host will be your tour guide, bed is a blow-up mattress on the floor. The purpose of this forum is for other hosts to help and guide new hosts through experiences they haven’t yet had to deal with or to just vent on occasion. I don’t see it as a place where we should be telling each other 'how to be a better host and what guests expect. ’ I’m sure you’re doing something right and if you’re enjoying hosting then I’d just keep on doing it.
If guests are tipping you then it tells me that they think they’ve had very good value for money. And a wise person once told me ‘people don’t care what they pay as long as they believe they’re getting value for money.’ For some people that’s a $5,000 per night hotel where the caviar is included and for others it’s a $50 night in someone’s house where the room was comfortable and clean and the host friendly.

3 Likes

Yana at Aldi and jams at dollar store.

1 Like

I never got any tip either. About one guest in a hundred brought a present, that was a Japanese calendar. I really appreciated this token of appreciation, but I was given this at the start of his stay, so it shouldn’t be considered a “tip”.

1 Like

What is Aldi??:grinning:

1 Like

That’s a good question, actually
:joy:

Aldi’s is a supermarket and their prices are about 60 percent cheaper then publixs Laurderdale as a few of them. If you are not set on brand names you can save tons of money. on sale publix englis muffins are 2.50 Aldi’s brand .85 and they taste just as good. Trust me and visit them and you will be amazed on the price points.

I live in Florida for 15 years but I never saw the store. Are they also in Broward county? Sounds good to me:)

I remember that they used to be in England (very cheap indeed) but I haven’t come across them in Florida either. Google will know. :slight_smile:

Yep, there’s one in Lauderdale Lakes. And your nearest is probably Cooper City?

Interesting that the self described German @Eberhard_Blocher doesn’t know what Aldi is! Considering the chain is from DE.

Albi just came to the US a few years ago and is the parent brand to Trader Joes. Here in Europe Aldi has TJ branded items, its very funny.

I make my tea by put a cup of water and a tea bag in the microwave – what horror!!

What exactly do you mean? I am German, I am a host in Germany, and in fact, I do describe the way to the nearest Aldi store, which is five minutes’ walk from my flat, in my Airbnb listing since I think some guests might like to go shopping there.

I don’t enjoy the shopping experience at Aldi, myself, so I rarely go there.