Guests complain because I don't serve breakfast - Not a true Airbnb they say

I am not providing so many things:
There is NO:
1.TV in rooms
2. breakfast
3. Bath tub, only shower
3. Shuttles
4. Bath robs

What i do provide is coffee and tea, and this is what i mention. No hotel lists things they do not provide but only things they do .
People are mistaken bnb letters at the end for bed and breakfast, its understandable, but also the concept of staying in someones home is still new and a bit unusual for many. Why not research a little. Expectations, expectations . Only if we did not expect our lives would be much more fun and easier.

1 Like

I don’t even think the bnb part is confusing them. I think these guests who are disappointed for not having breakfast are just listening to someone else who may assume a full breakfast is always served. I don’t know but when I see the letters “airbnb” - nothing about it makes me think “oh this sounds like a website where I can stay in a person’s home and have breakfast” - nothing.

Because then I would have to wonder what the “air” meant? Don’t these people wonder what the “air” part means?

EB - yes you stated before that host did not state that breakfast wasn’t offered. But breakfast was not checked under amenities. So you are basically claiming to have read the entire listing because no where the host stated breakfast wasn’t served. If you were as thorough as you claim to be then why didn’t you look under the amenities section to confirm?

1 Like

In my state/county a host CANNOT legally make breakfast–according to state and local heath department rules/laws. I would have to have a health department certified kitchen (a very elaborate set up) to be able to comply with the regulations/law. e.g. double sinks, separate hand washing sink, sashes around the walls, not to mention a exhaust hood over the stove (regulation type). So, NO MORE COOKING FOR MY GUESTS! However, I provide a variey of breads–high quality (organic), organic jams/spreads, peanut butter (or other nut butter), butter, fresh fruit, and either coffee or tea (electric tea kettle), and a toaster --plus plates, knives, spoons, napkins, etc. Sometimes I put out yogurt too. The spread looks so delicious–all my guests comment on how wonderful it is and consequently NO ONE has complained that I don’t make hot cereal or eggs. I do like to make waffles on Sunday now and then, and invite my guests if they would like to have some-- I think of it as fancy toast~! Also, cooking is time consuming & EXPENSIVE! (esp. since my ingredients are always organic). Bottom line: a do-it-yourself breakfast is a WIN-WIN solution to providing a delicious & memorable breakfast! (u can mix it up with ready-made muffins, bakery croissants, boxed cereal, or hot cereal packets) Hope this helps!

2 Likes

P.S. I believe in FULL DISCLOSURE listing a place. About breakfast I state: “A self-serve breakfast is offered daily: Toast or muffins, fruit & coffee or tea. Nearby cafes offer full breakfasts–the FIG TREE offers an early morning special: Breakfast 1/2 off if ordered between 8 & 9 a.m.”

Also: “IMPORTANT: Read my complete listing before booking–also you must provide a clear photo (both guests) & first and last name before booking!” (this latter is for my safetly-I can google the guest BEFORE I book them!)

Happy travels, and even happier hosting!

P.P.S. Sorry to say, cute as the name is “Airbnb” --it does give a false impression or expectation…it would be so much better if there were actual catagories of offerings --including: “SEMI-PRIVATE” (to distingish from SHARED which make me think of a hostel), “FULL Bed & Breakfast” , “GUEST HOUSE” , “BEACH/OCEAN FRONT” etc. Maybe dear members you can think of some other catatgories (to help guests filter) I will check back and forward these suggestions to Airbnb’s Hospitality Head (Chip Conley).

1 Like

It was their original concept… the air mattress in a shared home… so the name stuck. I think only newbie guests would be confused about the breakfast part.

Yes. Invest the $40 or so into an electric kettle. We host a lot of guests from Europe and Down Under, and they expect it. They will find your kitchen odd if it doesn’t have one. And, it’s just such a superior way to heat water. I am perplexed as to why they haven’t caught on here in the States.

4 Likes

Yes, I was hooked when I went to England and was told how savage Americans are because they heat water on the stove for tea, waiting for a silly whistle.

2 Likes

Interestingly I have had several guests this calendar year be so happy I serve breakfast and express dismay that none of the other airbnbs they’ve stayed in do. They do ask me this “Why is it called bed & breakfast when there’s no breakfast?!” Then I say, “Well, did you sleep on an air mattress?”

Honestly, if it’s a home-share arrangement, providing a few things seems just kind. However, I would never expect that if staying in an independent home.

Just found out by reading here that Americans don’t do kettles! How funny! Yes, we Aussies and Pommies don’t cope well without them. We had a power outage for a couple of days and we had to heat water for our tea in a pot on the BBQ - we all moaned constantly about how barbaric it was :wink:

5 Likes

@Uselessmini - I know! As Brits in Florida we have an electric kettle and a teapot in our rental. Essential :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello renney I would like to know how you describe your area as I have the same problem

It hasn’t been an issue for us. Only once did one of our guests ask at check in if breakfast was included. I said no, but I can recommend a ton of great breakfast spots within walking distance. And, that was that.

Fortunately for us common sense usually prevails. Real bed and breakfasts in California tend to be way more expensive than hotels.

… and New Zealanders…

I don’t serve anything but we do have all the pots and pans and place settings so they can go to the store and shop. I do leave a case or two of water in bottles as I got them cheap someplace.

I make everything clear on the listing, including unticking the breakfast option (it isn’t obligatory), although I do provide the facilities and tea/ coffee. I stopped providing juice when one guest drank a full litre in a day. When I receive a booking I also state that they must read the listing and itinerary carefully so that they are clear about what I offer as I know many don’t prior to booking and make assumptions. Breakfast has never been a problem for me. My big contention is the expectation some guests have of making a new best friend and using the kitchen to cook evening meals, one guest even cooked up a meal, cracked open a bottle of wine, offered me some and sat in front of Sat night tv doing her knitting! It’s all been a learning curve but I make everything as explicit as I can now ie no breakfast, no new best friend and no use of the lounge or kitchen in the evening. It hasn’t resulted in a bad review yet, if it did then I’d be within my rights to respond on their thread. You can’t please everyone. I’ve also spent a full day cleaning and steaming carpets etc for the most ungrateful and unappreciative guest to arrive!

Tell them its Illegal (even if its not, but often is) and suggest local places.

I do now have a coffee pot and we have coffee grounds and tea they can use to refresh themselves. I also left some frozen burritos that was in the freezer from the last guest along with some pizzaronis. Now there is some breakfast for my next guests.

Wow. What a long forum thread. You are always going to get guests who don’t read all the details. Their expectations over rule reality in most cases. If you do get the odd one, don’t fret as long as your other reviews are all glowing. Potential guests are not all silly. They can discern whether or not a review is consistent or not.

On the breakfast side. We have ticked the box saying NO breakfast. However we do provide:

• Nespresso with locally roasted coffee pods.
  • Tea bags (3 varieties.)
  • A choice of 6 cereals.
  • Little tubs of juice.
  • LIttle tubs of fruit.
  • A couple of bananas or apples.
  • One litre of fresh milk

But wait. There is more.

• Two bottles of beer
  • Two bottles of alcoholic cider
  • One small bottle of red wine
  • One small bottle of white wine
  • A can of Diet Coke
  • A can of lemonade
  • A small packet of nuts
  • Two small packets of potato chips
  • Three of those small Lindt chocolates

And an electric kettle!

Sorry. No steak knives.

Why so much?

Because we want them to go Wow!

Do guests consume or take all of this with them. No. Our last guest who was here for four nights just ate the nuts and used 5 or so coffee pods and the milk. Also he ate the two Easter eggs we left (as it was Easter!)

Most guests will go and get or bring their own supplies. We are just trying to ensure they are set up for their initial arrival. Thus the welcome beer and other drinks. (And if the guest has indicated a special occasion such as a birthday or anniversary, we will add some champagne or whatever else is appropriate.)

So the cost is minimal really in relation to what they are paying.

My philosophy is that if you give exceptional value and service, then you will reap the rewards long term. If you Wow the guest, they will tell others which may lead to increased bookings.

2 Likes

I leave similar (but not quite as much) but there are a few hosts here who will disagree with you, I think :slightly_smiling:

My theory is rather like yours - wow the guests. But I also think about repeat business. We are in a tourist area where people return year after year. To me, treating guests to wonderful treats is an investment in the future.

In initial contacts after a Guest has booked, we indicate we provide (generous!) breakfast provisions for the 1st two days: bread, milk, fruit, butter, tea, coffee & home-grown hens’ eggs.

Arrival instructions are sent with requests for Guests to indicate preferred milk (hi/lo fat cow, almond, soy etc) and bread (white, wholemeal, gluten-free etc).

Some of the slightly-unconventional options are a little more expensive, but just offering a choice usually really impresses Guests. Typically, $5 per morning covers it.

And they are aware, before arrival, just what will be supplied - so there is no misunderstanding about cooked English or cold Continental breakfasts.

Problems arise when there is insufficient communication or understanding - often because Guests don’t bother reading or Hosts don’t volunteer the info up front. This can lead to unmet expectations and a bad start.

Just be up-front.

Dean

1 Like