Guests complain because I don't serve breakfast - Not a true Airbnb they say

Well, I guess we can agree to disagree on this issue. Just goes to show that there are different perceptions about the way we see the world.

The vast majority of Airbnb listings don’t provide breakfast, including 95% of the ones I’ve stayed in. But yes, there are different perceptions.

1 Like

No one agrees with you here.

2 Likes

You are applying a really broad interpretation to this name. Most of US are not BnBs. I will never ever ever serve breakfast. My guests rent a separate suite. They are responsible for their own provisions.

Well we heard this all before. This isn’t an “interpretation” of the name “Airbnb”, but simply what it is. Bnb means “bed and breakfast”.

Of course, you could argue that “Mickey Mouse” isn’t really a mouse, because it walks on two legs, eats food and speaks just like a human does. But we don’t want a Mickey Mouse discussion, do we?

I’ve never offered breakfast, I never will and I don’t think that the name means you have to.

But Perhaps that is the norm in Germany even before there was an Air.

By the way, what does Wimdu mean in German? See what I mean? What’s in a name?

We’re back to number 1 now! The president elect is going to make 'Murica great again!

Valid point. “Wimdu” doesn’t mean anything. It’s just a catchy phrase.

I wish Wimdu were just half as professional as is Airbnb. I used to get about 20 per cent of my guests from Wimdu, but that’s down to 5 per cent this year, with most of the others booking on Airbnb. Being German, I really feel ashamed that Wimdu aren’t even able to copy Airbnb and get it just about right. Wimdu are in shambles and I guess they know it.

I do offer breakfast to both Airbnb and Wimdu guests though, and I always will. I am taking great trouble to be able to do this even if I am not at home in the morning, myself.

Can you share what is making Wimdu bad in your opinion? I think they are extremely small in comparison to Air so may not have the resources.

I like them a lot. They have always sent me quiet single solo travelers, and in the US, I keep 100 percent of my nightly rate and cleaning. The only downside is that they don’t collect deposits on your behalf, Which would be so convenient. Other than that, what’s so bad?

I wish more Wimdu guests would book.

1 Like

Lordy. Just because the original brand concept was to provide a blow up mattress with breakfast - doesn’t mean that it hasn’t evolved @Eberhard_Blocher

Most people don’t just provide a blow up mattress and most don’t provide breakfast.

It doesn’t matter what BnB stood for at the time AirBNB started up, what matters is the brand concept today. As long as your provide a space within BNB’s criteria it is up to you as to how you want to do it.

Some offer breakfast some don’t. Some offer cocktails or fully cooked meals, some don’t. Some have a hot tub or jacuzzi others don’t. Some offer a room in their house, others a ski chalet, others a villa, others a boat.

1 Like

What you mean Helsi, I still include blow-up mattresses (and even blow-up dolls) in my place, just in case. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Well I guess I can cross you off my list of places to visit then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hahaha. Plus swings and such assorted things.

Hey, seriously I do have air mattresses in the island because people love to sleep under the stars in the lookout tower. Every night the luminous algae get active and they never want to miss that. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=luminous+algae&biw=1206&bih=690&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwixgrmhzczQAhXG6YMKHTLfCK4QsAQIMg

Do you have a Ryan Gosling lookalike one for straight ladies and gay gents?

2 Likes

Ah, but then as has been said before, it also means ‘air’ as in ‘air bed’. Is that also required?

I have noticed a total drop in Wimdu guests. I have hosted about 7 in the past (compared to 104 airbnb) and would like to have more. Are they just giving up?

I wanna come there… How far out are you booked???:smiling_imp:

Well, I have been hosting guests using both Airbnb and Wimdu (and a couple of other portals) for the last couple of years, so I think I might have some experience to share. Also, I have personally been to both the Wimdu head office in Berlin, Germany, and the German Airbnb office (also in Berlin).

I didn’t know that Wimdu don’t collect deposits on your behalf, but this just goes to show that they are much less professional than Airbnb is. I don’t really know what is wrong with them.

However, they are German, and Airbnb is American, for starters. Angela Merkel once famously remarked, about two years ago “The internet is new and alien to all of us”, and this nicely sums up the attitude in this country. Mind you, she said this TWO YEARS ago, not twenty years ago. Germans are hostile to everything “internet”, because it is new and spooky and alien. And Wimdu, behold, are doing business on THE INTERNET.

They successfully did a giant marketing campaign some years ago, mainly using billboards and other old-fashioned media. That’s what brought a lot of customers to Wimdu, to start with. But these days, they are struggling. Being a German company, they have to comply with German regulations, privacy, taxes and others, much more than Airbnb has to. And this is a huge disadvantage. German regulations are simply bogging down internet companies, it is not a level playing field compared to Airbnb and other American companies.

So you are saying they are struggling in a corporate sense? Specifically, I was wondering what they did to make you not like using them as a platform. It would be a huge thing to have Airbnb as your competitor.

It’s worth noting that my first Wimdu guests used to tell me they had never heard of Air.

1 Like

I am not going to throw stones at Wimdu here. Sorry, there are many negative things I could be writing about them, but I won’t.

I am still using Wimdu as a platform, I simply don’t get many guests booking on Wimdu, any longer, compared to Airbnb and others. But that’s what others here are telling, too.

Basically, it is also a question of size, of course. Airbnb are the largest company in this industry, by far, so it is easier for them to push through certain standards, since they have clout.