Guests complain because I don't serve breakfast - Not a true Airbnb they say

Hi Azreala,

Do I understand you maintain Airbnb locations in both Barcelona and San Francisco? If so, how do you do that, since you can’t be criss-crossing the world each week. I’m not trolling, I’m genuinely curious, as we’d like to expand our business to other locations. We’re only thinking of doing that nearby, and in the future, but any ideas will be helpful.

Well that sucks big time. They have some seriously big expectations 4 a place that most likely is cheaper than a hotel room. I don’t serve breakfast at all. I also don’t put snacks in their room or anything like that. It is a clean private room in a clean house with a clean bathroom and clean Linens. That’s all I provide along with Wi-Fi and a TV for them to cast to.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree with you. I do not provide breakfast due to the sometimes extreme dietary requirements (though more often, simply own personal choice) of guests. I have guests stay with celiac or allergy restrictions and I simply cannot stock my larder and fridge with items that will only be used once. Because I am specific in my listing saying I do not serve breakfast, and the majority of my guests are travellers, most of my guests bring their own breakfasts. I have had guests bring almond milk, sugar free jams, designer breads, free range eggs, fresh orange juice (one person even brought a juicer), vine tomatoes, own coffee brands. I certainly couldn’t afford to have these items just sitting around in case a guest might like them. I do tell guests they are welcome to use any milk, orange juice, cereals, etc that I do have at the time, and most people are happy with that.

How nice. I live in the U.S. too, and I do have an electric kettle. I also have a blowdryer and ironing board in the guest room even though I have a shaved head and send my laundry out. Why? Because I know that not all of my guests are exactly like me. So, I try to anticipate what will make their stay more comfortable and offer it. It’s just good business.

Aside from all that, I have found electric kettles to be a superior way to heat water and am perplexed as to why Americans have not caught on to this fact. It may be that we’re raised to believe we know better than the rest of the world and refuse to accept any evidence to the contrary. I don’t know… We’re number 1! We’re number 1! USA! USA!

:laughing:

2 Likes

I love both of my kettles equally. Got one as a wedding gift years and years ago, and can’t imagine life without it!

Ha ha! I love it. I dumped the traditional stovetop kettle ages ago. Never had much luck with them. They rust, burn, and just take up valuable real estate when I am cooking.

Plus, I always abhorred that obnoxious whistle. I much prefer the gentle ‘ping’ my electric kettle makes. Blissssssss…

The first guest I get who demands a stovetop kettle over my electric, I swear i will invest in one. Until then…

For a long time, we had both. The stovetop one was a pain because it needed constant cleaning. It attracted grease if guests fried foods. So eventually I abandoned it. The electric kettle is used by an estimated 95% of guests.

1 Like

Well, based on all your recommendations I am indeed getting one. It may complement a French Press quite nicely, now that I think about it.

1 Like

I love my electric kettle - it has different heat settings on it so I can heat the water to the ‘optimal’ temperature for whatever I’m brewing be it coffee or tea… I use an aeropress for coffee and heat my water to 200F - perfect every time!!

Oh @jackulas…you have a shaved head?! But…but…(and such a pretty face too). : (

2 Likes

Oh yes! French press is the absolute best way to prepare coffee/tea. It’s a pain to clean, but once you get into the rhythm, it’s awesome.

1 Like

Unless you need to watch your cholesterol.

I don’t know. I have a French press (cafetiere as we call it) and it’s pretty crap. If you have the patience to wait for a luke-warm “meh ok it’ll do at it least it’s not instant” cup then it’s ok. But it’s nothing like a Nespresso or the like.

1 Like

I drink a pot of tea, 3 mugs every morning and evening, sometimes a third pot. Kettles are efficient at heating water to boiling which is essential do good tea. Also, we Commonwealth folks splash some hot water in the pot to warm it. Then the kettle is turned on again, pot emptied, tea added to pot, then boiling water poured into pot. Tea made with water that isn’t hot enough isn’t drinkable. Kettles don’t burn the counter, most now have an auto off switch for safety.

1 Like

I already have plenty of appliances on my counters. I just don’t want one more when a teakettle on the stove works just fine. To each their own. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m so glad we can have the kettle discussion again. I bought one after reading posts here and it hasn’t been used by any guests. I’ve used it a couple of times though I can’t recall why. If it weren’t in a peculiar spot on my counter where it wasn’t in the way I’d have probably tossed it by now.

So, about those duvets…

4 Likes

Isn’t that interesting? I would say at least 80% of my guests use the kettle. It is in the hallways upstairs and I hear it every single time. I should say that they don’t have a stove up there, so if they want tea, the kettle is their option.

It’s due to the fact that I have very few tourists or foreigners and fewer are coming into the main part of the house since I put the private entrance. Also I have a bottled water dispenser that has a hot tap. A few guests have used that.

This is so funny. A kettle is absolutely vital in any English home and I would estimate it’s used on average 10 times a day :joy:

2 Likes

^^ Same. I think its the sexy whistling which is part of its charm.