Guests complain because I don't serve breakfast - Not a true Airbnb they say

permits are not required for food prepared in a commercial kitchen - at least, not in my county. I can warm frozen items up in the oven, serve whole fruit, and hard-cook eggs, but not peel them. In some states they can full-on cook.

What we need in the US is Japanese dollar store Daiso
 Cool discount and loads of fun to shop in!

2 Likes

Most importantly at Aldi is the cheap beer. Great quality and always a distinct resemblance to the well known brands. For example in Australia there is a delightful beer branded as “James Boag”. Retails on average at $45 for a carton of 24 bottles. The Aldi equivalent is “Fraser Briggs”. Cost a mere $34. Absolutely no difference in taste. (Following intense testing sessions.)
Cheers. :beer:

1 Like

@konacoconutz We have one in Japantown here in SF!

1 Like

In this area there are far too many people with real and imagined allergies to everything under the sun to start offering breakfast. We do leave a bowl of fresh fruit, bottled water, packaged nuts, cliff bars, and some chocolates. Serving a cooked breakfast in a commercial establishment requires some costly licensing, inspections, and facility upgrades that simply wouldn’t make sense. Think three-section sink, high temp dishwasher, food temperature logs, sanitizer concentration logs, surprise inspections, etc.

This is a simple matter of searching with the right parameters for what you want. If you want breakfast, select it in your search. If you want a hot tub, select that. Don’t show up and expect something not in the listing.

5 Likes

When I ask guests if they want breakfast, most of them say “no”. But then, when I am not around to ask, for some reason, I always leave a voucher for people to have free breakfast in a nearby cafĂ© and almost all of them make use of it to have breakfast there (I am paying for that, of course).

So the idea of “people don’t actually want breakfast” has actually disappeared ever since I started offering those breakfast vouchers. Why do I do offer those? Because Airbnb does mean “including breakfast”.

1 Like

I think that not taking your offer of breakfast at your place but happy to take breakfast at a commercial establishment says more about the guests relationship with you and your home than anything to do with breakfast at all.

1 Like

Well yes, what you are writing is what will obviously come to most people’s mind. In fact, I have been wondering about this strange development myself, ever since I started offering free breakfast vouchers a couple of months ago.

The guest relationship I do is very reserved. While some Air hosts might be absolutely friendly and extrovert (I guess that’s what Americans are known for), I prefer the cool, distant, professional European style. Take it or leave it.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about leaving a gift certificate for the local breakfast place in my little town for my guests also. However, I can’t really afford to give them a completely free breakfast there on the times when I am only getting $40/night. Maybe in the summer for some of my guests who stay more than 2 nights, I will do that.

Well to be honest, I can’t really afford this either. I only get €28/night (about US$32) but then the breakfast voucher is only worth €4. So this provides a very basic breakfast only, like a cup of coffee and a bread roll with some jam. I am actually hoping guests treat themselves to a bigger breakfast, the cafĂ© will earn some extra money and there might be some kickbacks for me, in the long run.

1 Like

I did a search on this guy or name after I saw a post where he defended plagiarizing. I found another post where he said it doesn’t pay to be honest in business. It’s only 4 posts but he seems to be either an idiot or a jerk. Not only would I hope he never booked my airbnb, I would never book his.

B&B stands for Bed and Bath

4 Likes

I realize this thread is getting old at this point but there are many of us who are not renting rooms - we are renting our whole house - and I am two hours away when I have a guest. I think at this point people realize Airbnb is a moniker for the company - not a description of every listing. In my market - the Catskills - room rentals are not popular and not only do they not expect breakfast, they don’t want it. They want privacy.

3 Likes

Oh, so tempting for many to put that in their listing!

2 Likes

If it is me you are referring to, I totally agree with you. I don’t mind plagiarizing, and I do make jokes about honesty. It is up to you to not understand the jest. Yes, I am either an idiot or a jerk. If you don’t share my sense of humour, that really is a pity.

But don’t worry, I won’t book your airbnb. And I have lots of guests who are very happy to book mine, so I don’t actually need you to stay with me.

1 Like

I am referring to you. It doesn’t appear you are an idiot since you could determine I’m referring to you. I’ve had my fill of people who are jerks who then protest that they were “only joking.” And taking from others without permission is not a joke to me. So we don’t have compatible personalities. The great thing about airbnb is there are so many choices and people can find someone who meets their needs in most markets. I’m happy to be booked most of the time as are you, so it’s all good that we have no need of one another. YAY!

1 Like

Good to hear that you don’t think I am an idiot. Very flattering, in fact.

To be honest, at that price point, I doubt guests “expect” breakfast. If you discontinue this, I am willing to bet they wouldn’t even know the difference and continue to book at the same rate. Less time and money expended by you.

2 Likes

You would be astonished what guests expect regardless of the price. We just had a guest who paid $79.00 ($49.00 base/$15.00 cleaning fee/$15.00 extra guest fee). She left commentary in the private feedback that prior reviews mentioned muffins, but she hadn’t been offered any. She said that she had to go out for breakfast, which made her late for her appointment. The thing is, when she arrived we showed her the muffins in the freezer and told her that she could warm them in the microwave in the morning. Apparently, she wanted breakfast to be served to her, not self service. Also, she asked me for recommendations for breakfast restaurants, not mentioning that she would like to eat breakfast here. We had bent over backward to make her comfortable. When she arrived, we showed her the beer that we keep for guests. She said that she preferred wine to beer, so we opened a bottle of wine for her. In short, it is true that some guests expect Ritz Carlton service for Motel 6 prices.

2 Likes

Amazing Ellen. Would have been so much fun to stuff those muffins in her face! Right kona? LoL

4 Likes