Guests asking to bring service dog

Now obviously these Fair Housing Act rules do not apply to every short term rental listing but there are many like me who can legally refuse service animals. My short-term rental is within my home and I have my own animals that are very protective. Not sure why you are fighting against what is clearly shown on the ADA website and on the terms of service for Airbnb but I think you can keep your beliefs and everybody else will just know that you are wrong

2 Likes

The FHA does not apply to air bnb the ADA covers air bnb. The 4 unit only applies to the FHA. That is where you are wrong. Air bnb is considered a hotel service if you read under the ADA, hotels have to allow service animals, there is no exemption for this

Iā€™m a disability advocate(as well as a disabled person who uses a service animal) and a air bnb host and a residential landlord of multiple properties. I have been to the courts with this exact situation and know the laws pertaining to the subject matter. Federal laws are federal laws. Have a good day.

So, you are a new member of this forum, who arrives choosing to post on a thread that is over a year old in order to strutt your superior knowledge of the subject matter. Whether you are right or wrong I donā€™t know as Iā€™m not US resident, nor do I care. What I do care about is people who behave rudely, aggressively and arrogantly towards other members, particularly when they are new.

6 Likes

Caitlin, I canā€™t imagine why you just joined this forum today and then felt the need to update such an old thread. You then proceed to lecture all and sundry about the law in the USA at an international forum. Then to cap it all, you insult a valued, long-time member here.

I wonder if youā€™ve been celebrating your countryā€™s independence day a little today?

3 Likes

Show me your evidence. I have been over the ADA rules in regards to STR as well as Airbnbā€™s TOS meticulously more than once. I have posted exactly what they say for you to see. Perhaps you should talk with your lawyer yourself because you are incorrect.

1 Like

Great answer for someone who canā€™t show any evidence of laws to which you are speaking. The info I linked and SS are directly from the ADA and Airbnb and both refute what you are saying. Againā€¦ maybe speak to your lawer because I am afraid if you are an advocate then you are doing a great disservice by spreading misinformation

Iā€™m not being rude. I stated the facts itā€™s not my problem if they canā€™t understand it. This subject matter is highly important considering sheā€™s spreading false information. No matter what proof Iā€™ve provided they still refuse to accept it is what it is. Todayā€™s the Fourth of July. My husband just came home from deployment I DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR THIS. Iā€™ve reported her comments for false and misleading information. Thereā€™s a difference of being rude and trying to get straight to the point have a nice day

Wow.

Life is also too short to join forums, post useless information and insult people.

Youā€™ve made a great impression on us all and I hope that you feel better now after expressing yourself so eloquently on a public forum.

4 Likes

FFS!! Let me just pull up a seat and watch how this unfolds!

1 Like

Ohmigoodness. It baffles me. I asked you to show where the law backs up your statements (in case I was incorrect) but youā€™ve been unable or unwilling to do this. Notice that I didnt feel the need to bring my or my familyā€™s health or animals into the conversation because it is irrelevant to the LAW. Done with this as it wonā€™t be resolved in this manner. Happy 4th yall!

4 Likes

LOL. So you decided to join a forum and post? Wow.

How do report an anonymous person on the internet? To whom did you report?

You are a joke and by being a joke you actually make ā€œadvocates for the disabledā€ look bad. Go away and donā€™t return.

3 Likes

I think she means she flagged my comment. Hope youre having a great 4th down there @KKC! Its a toasty and humid 90 here in New England.

Itā€™s hot and dry here (98F) but could definitely be worse. I have 10 guest dogs plus my two. Hereā€™s the five from this morning.

7 Likes

Mr (or Ms) Bottom Right has a lovely grin on his (or her) face :dog:

Well, if I told you his name was Ben youā€™d have no problem gendering him, eh? :wink:
The tie is hiding Mr. Happy.

2 Likes

Heā€™s a lovely boy. They all look to be sweeties but Ben has a twinkle in his eye as well as that lovely grin :slight_smile:

:smile: Iā€™m not a dog person at all but they do all look very lovable.

Happy 4th July, American friends!

1 Like

Hereā€™s the other 5 guest dogs.

Canā€™t judge from a pictureā€¦not people, not dogs. :wink:

Heā€™s the most problematic of the 10 guests. Heā€™s almost started two fights. Heā€™s gotten a little possessive as his stay goes on. We are in day 8 now, 2 to go.

4 Likes

I have severe allergies. No animals, in my shared space.