Guests asking to bring service dog

I wonder what the situation is for hosts whose homeowners’ association doesn’t allow dogs? I’m in that situation. It was a ruling that started at the beginning of the year but until that time we’d happily host dogs. Now, we’d be contravening the homeowners’ association rules if we hosted guests with a dog.

1 Like

In actual fact, it is illegal to forbid a service dog or animal of any kind into a dwelling. So you would not be breaking an HOA rule. In fact, if the bylaws for bid a service animal, the HOA is not in compliance.

6 Likes

So good to know - thank you!

And yet, if you’d been exposed to more dogs and cats as an infant you might not have developed asthma.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2783630/

There are exceptions to the rule. It is not a blanket “illegal.”

1 Like

Illegal to “forbid any kind of animal” in a dwelling? Not following you.

1 Like

There are many animals that are being used as service beings; not just dogs.

2 Likes

If you want to see emotional support animals google support animals on planes!
There was a miniature horse! And a duck!

1 Like

Thanks for that @EllenN I’ve seen similar articles before and the arguments are persuasive. I grew up with a stray dog my uncle brought home and a pedigree Alsatian. We then had two cats called Tiddles and Tinkerbell. Tiddles brought Tinkerbell home one day and in my family it was pretty relaxed so she stayed, even though she had initially had mange. I love dogs and cats.

Despite contact with animals as a child I am highly allergic and their dander. I’ve heard too much cleaning is another reason for asthma…again - unlikely in my case- I grew up in an age where antibacterial was a dettol bath. I also have horrible hay fever and my asthma is also triggered by cut grass, which means in summer I’m hiding inside while everyone is having picnics. May I add I also played a lot outside and spent summer days making daisy chains. None of it has stood me in good stead as an adult.

I am the only one in my family who is asthmatic and it probably has far more to do with the fact I was 2.5 months premature.

2 Likes

I meant to say if it’s a guide dog then it would be obvious the owner wouldn’t be faking it. Guide dogs are rarely little lap or purse dogs. It’s the people with “comfort” dogs that annoy me. They aren’t trained well behaved dogs–the fakers I mean: The ones who say it’s a service dog but really isn’t.

You have to accept guide dogs. It’s illegal you are now turning your house into a hotel.
I’m worried. This Airbnb thing is going to get someone in jail or sued.

My sister has a service dog, it’s changed her life. People with service dogs take excellent care of them and are very careful not to cause issues with people/stores etc. A service dog is no different than a wheelchair or hearing aid. Here’s a good blog post re service dogs.
Boobs and service dogs

3 Likes

Guide dogs aren’t the only service dogs. There are service dogs who detect changes in blood sugar, detect seizures, help with mobility issues, calm people with PTSD, etc. To deny people who need them the right to their service dog because some people “fake it” is equivalent to denying pain medications to people who need them because some people fake pain.

4 Likes

No… Airbnb is not the same as turning your house into a hotel… so to be honest I don’t follow the logic you must accept dogs. For example my flat isn’t wheelchair accessible … the entrance is too narrow. I have had a booking from someone who subsequently turned out to be in a wheel chair and I had to cancel. I’m not sure it’s reasonable to expect individuals homes to be able to deal with all disability requirements. This would be one instance where the guest should be booking an appropriate hotel.

Talking about hotels… how come they don’t all accept dogs ?

6 Likes

As posters here are from different countries there isn’t one answer. In the U.S. all hotels must accept service dogs. If they don’t they are violating the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Wheelchair accessibility and permitting service dogs is a false equivalency. In the U.S. people with disabilities must be given reasonable accommodations. Remodeling your residence would not be considered reasonable. Accepting a guest with a dog doesn’t require any expense.

Thanks Ellen. Did a quick google search … rules about service dogs appear to only apply to whole property listings. Good news for any live in hosts like me that would not be happy with dogs or any other service animals in their shared listing.

https://www.servicedogcertifications.org/service-dog-rules-for-staying-in-hotels/

3 Likes

As a devoted “dog mom” and lover of animals in general, I have to disagree. I work in the travel industry and most hotels have specific rooms that they use to house guests with service animals (whether they specify it or not). They are generally the handicap accessible rooms with wide entrances, grab bars in the WC, etc. But hotels have the luxury of keeping these rooms available/properly maintained for guests who need them, whereas we hosts–often with only one space available–cannot.

I recognize that guests with service animals may have more limited access to Airbnb options when traveling but that shouldn’t be a burden on individual hosts either. If a host has allergies, or small children that may not understand why they can’t pet the nice doggie, or even a fear of dogs, I don’t see why it’s a host’s duty to just deal with it in their own home.

All that aside, I welcome pets. But I understand why this is an issue for many hosts.

5 Likes

The article you’ve attached says, “AirbBNB’s nondiscrimination policy requires hosts to allow all service animals into their homes unless local laws restrict access for service animals”

In your case, you would not be required to accept a service animal that would trigger your asthma or allergies.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1869/what-is-an-assistance-animal

The portion you’ve circled outlines the laws in the U.S. The portion I quoted outlines Airbnb’s policy which is not the same as U.S. law.

1 Like