Guest who continues to bring in unauthorized guests...review help requested

There seems to be some variance in price, but at the lowest end, the pound values are a bit cheaper than the dollar values. Then again, online versus store prices may be adding confusion.

Oh, and a quick Google finds:

which leads with

Approximately 80% of India’s egg production comes from hens that live their life confined in cages with space less than the size of an A4 sheet of paper.

Maybe I should tell our cook to look for free range eggs. Then again, how would he know they are? Oh, and the probability is extremely high he would have no idea what free range is.

I can’t speak for online prices as I don’t shop in bulk. I tend to go to a local store every few days and buy what I need for one to two days maximum. So it’s not something I have experience of … but for those who shop that way yes arguably prices are cheaper

You can’t tell by look. And I’m afraid in India there’s a lot of food fraud. You’re better sticking to battery unless you want to pay a premium for the same battery eggs now labelled ‘free range’.

Agreed. But that’s assuming there is sufficient demand for free range that anyone would bother.

I’m sure if your cook asked someone for free range eggs the vendor or supplier or someone in the chain would realise there was an opportunity to rip at least one person off. And that’s enough.

1 Like

You seem to have a good handle on how things in India work. :slight_smile:

Yep. Been there, worn the T shirt and got immensely infuriated. Water bottles filled with tap water and resealed to look unopened. Biscuits for 5rs sold to me for 200rs (attempted). Fabric fraud at the tailors …why else would I know how to determine real silk? Because I got ripped off in India ;). Oh and the taxi driver that went round in circles. Yes I know how it works and it got mega tiring. Hardest place I’ve ever travelled to because you constantly need to have your wits about you.

Yes, people are constantly trying to rob my guests. They don’t seem that fussed about it, for the most part, but it’s quite upsetting for me.

1 Like

You act as an insulator I’m sure and protect your guests from the worst of it…I expect you tell your guests where to go/not to go etc which they will appreciate.

I try. But they don’t always ask first. For example, I had some Canadian guests who paid Rs. 2000 (in Delhi) for phone usage. They were going to be here for a month or so (that’s typical). But that’s around 4 or 5 times the necessary amount. Plus it was one of the fringe operators - not recommended. I’ve now added suggested phone costs to my guest guide.

Lol oh dear. Still cheap in comparison to rates in Canada which is probably why they thought they were getting a bargain.

Yes. Like I said, they aren’t that fussed. I guess a lot of travellers/tourists figure that’s the cost of travel.

That’s part of the problem though. It encourages the behaviour further. Mexico City is every bit as cheap as India and I didn’t see that type of predatory behaviour once.

Hmm. Actually, I was meaning to ask. Surely this kind of thing must be common in many parts of the world. Are you saying it isn’t? And do you travel a lot?

And I agree, I don’t think it’s ok for people to be ripped off, and I certainly do my part to put a stop to it if I can. It gives India a bad reputation. We shouldn’t be robbing visitors. Or trying to.

I’ve travelled a lot, mostly to developing economies and so far India (and parts of Africa) are the only places I’ve experienced it. It didn’t even happen in Romania when I was there 15 years ago.

Once or twice in a trip; fine. In India it was a constant onslaught from waking to bedtime and it was hugely unpleasant. I understand I have more than many do there… that’s not a reason to be dishonest when conducting business with me. The other place that was bad was Morocco in Africa.

Hi @Zandra,

That’s interesting, a bit surprising, and a bit dismaying. Then again, I always knew India was special. :wink:

1 Like

India is certainly special… which is why I will always tell people it’s an exceptionally worthwhile destination.

1 Like

Lol! 6 free range eggs here will cost $3.50 AUD about 2.75 USD no wonder I’m broke :laughing:

And I give them a away… if I have no fiests, the there is a queue of friends who line up for them!

guests! Fat finger syndrome on a phone

1 Like