Guest who continues to bring in unauthorized guests...review help requested

SCIENCE! I’m teaching chemistry this year… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes same here in NZ. I’ve also made the mistake of mixing up the two when making scones. I was so proud of myself when they came out of the oven looking lovely… until I took a bite

3 Likes

Well… we use both bicarbonate of soda and baking powder when baking. Bicarb just also happens to also be an excellent household cleaner :slight_smile:

2 Likes
3 Likes

What with all this talk about eggs, I was wondering how much an egg sells for in different parts of the world. I generally don’t stress about guests eating food, because it’s so cheap here. Well, fruit isn’t, so much, and meat and fish aren’t, but things like bread and vegetables are, and eggs certainly are.

As of today, 19th March 2017, our cook’s accounts show 6 eggs for Rs. 30. Rs 30 is approximately USD 0.46 (46 cents) according to Google’s handy currency conversion. I suspect eggs in the US are more expensive than that.

Here in Los Angeles, CA, a dozen white eggs (not organic) are $1.59 at Trader Joe’s. I have no problem letting guests use as many store bought eggs as they like. If I had chickens or eggs from a friend’s chickens I would be greedy with them.

For guests, I buy the flats of large, Cage-Free eggs from Costco at a cost of $.24 per egg. They are fine, but for my own wants, I buy eggs at the local poultry store. After the Asian flu issues from last year, the cost of these farm eggs has risen dramatically. Extra large eggs are now at about $.45 per egg.

1 Like

Eggs in London are around 35p each (non organic).

Fortunately in the UK most supermarkets are taking a more ethical approach and only using barn reared or free range eggs. Once you understand battery hen conditions, most people won’t buy eggs from chickens enduring these conditions

http://help.marksandspencer.com/support/products-services/oakham

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/getSearchProducts.do?clearTabs=yes&isFreshSearch=true&chosenSuggestionPosition=&entry=eggs

Freerange eggs at Ocado start from 18 pence each.

1 Like

@Zandra Lordy where are you shopping woman - they’re 18p for freerange eggs at Waitrose/Ocado.

Lol where are you shopping ? Not central London at a guess…

1 Like

Nope but it’s online so shouldn’t matter much where you are …and I was wrong you can get medium freerange eggs for 14p.

I don’t shop online … but my guess would be the price would be much more competitive online (somewhat offset by delivery charges however…)

@EllenN, @anon67190644: Oh, that’s not as dramatic a difference as I was expecting, at least for the US. That’s around a factor of 3 between India and the US. Surprisingly, UK prices seem to be similar to US prices.

I don’t know whether these eggs are battery or free-range, but I would guess the former. Humans don’t matter in India, so why should chickens?

What does battery mean in this context?

In California where I live we voted in an initiative that requires that for any eggs sold in the state the chickens must have room to turn around freely, lie down, stand up, and fully extend their limbs.

1 Like

Everything here matches the price in dollars which means it’s more expensive generally. I’ve noticed this with products like MAC where the price in dollars is the same as the price in pounds. Things that are significantly cheaper in the UK than the US is mobile phone contracts… and I think internet is cheaper here too though not sure. Then we also don’t pay for healthcare here.

As in battery hens, battery cages.

No. I don’t ever buy those. Ever. Soon, those will be illegal in Massachusetts in any event.

1 Like

It is eggs from chickens that live in battery cages. The photo in this link will break your heart. No living creature deserves to live this way.