Guest who continues to bring in unauthorized guests...review help requested

Yeah, they had gone looking in my cupboards for the pot. The pot was just left on the side, unwashed.
Another thing ive just remembered, I caught them nosing in my store room. (Its also in my rules its restricted). They said they were looking for a hairdryer. The hairdryer is always in guest bedside unit in their room. sigh.

Yikesā€¦have you checked all around the house, etc. to see if there is anything missing? You know how some guests think they are entitled to a souvenir or two!

2 Likes

I think everything is in order. Store room only has hoover, towels etc in it.
The laugh is the hairdryer was for the daughter!

3 Likes

This story reminds me of the father daughter pair who stayed with me when I was still a new host. I used to offer a continental breakfast. The guest had to prepare it but I provided fruit, cereal, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, juice, coffee and bread for toast. The father put everything imaginable in his coffee: half and half, honey, raw sugar, cocoa powder. He had an egg, a banana, toast, juice and made oatmeal. He then had the nerve to ask if I had a container to put the oatmeal in so he could take it to go. I used to also tell people they could re-fill their water bottles from my filtered water dispenser. They brought in an ice-chest full of empty bottles. It must have been a whole case of empties. With both I was taken aback and a little annoyed. But I offered. Now the guest room is closed off and I provide a bottled water and a chocolate. Thatā€™s it. Occasionally I like someone well enough to invite them in for coffee. Although I sometimes miss the personal interaction Iā€™m mostly happier not having them in my space and taking my time and stuff.

2 Likes

This would almost be funny if it werenā€™t so sad! I do offer a breakfast, but they have to order the items that they want with a maximum of two items per person, and then I place it in the room so they donā€™t get too very comfortable in my kitchen. Then it is up to me if I wish to put some fruit in the room, or offer them an extra bread or egg. I find I am much more generous with people who praise a specific breakfast item and/or thank me for the delicious food.

2 Likes

I chose to celebrate the fact that he was enjoying my offerings so well. Who cares if he got an extra dollar of food? And the water cost me 50 cents and helped the environment. [quote=ā€œsmtucker, post:68, topic:9689ā€]
I find I am much more generous with people
[/quote]

Same here.

1 Like

Give them an inch and theyā€™ll take a mile. Gonna have to get my strict host head on again :wink:

I wouldnt mention theyd taken a few eggs in the review, sounds petty. But i def want to mention a non paying guest using the shower facilites. Thats what annoyed me the most.
Theyve wrote a review already! I dont know what to write. I dont want to be too harsh, but still want to be truthful about certain things.

I would say itā€¦ Why not? It shows everyone how bad they were to help themselves to your food in violation of house rules. I would let them have it. Donā€™t hold back!

2 Likes

After two yeats of hosting and providing breakfast Iā€™ve finally decided to stop. Iā€™m tired of putting a family sized jar of Nutella/jam/huge glass jar of cereal out and coming back to find half already gone. Six nespresso coffees demolished. Or the whole carton of juice empty. Really that sort of ā€˜Iā€™m totally going to get my moneyā€™s worthā€™ behaviour is unecessary in someoneā€™s home.

4 Likes

Donā€™t worry about sounding petty. Your guests are not likely to be reading your reviews that you have left other guests. And if they do read it, and think you are ā€œpettyā€ for being upset that guests stealā€¦then you dodged another bullet.

Just be damn sure you know for a fact that the guests cooked the eggs, and it wasnā€™t anyone else in your household. Also, keep in mind the guest may respond to your review. So when writing your reviewā€¦try to cover anything in case they respond with lies. This is what I would write:

"XXXX and her husband stayed with me for XXX nights. They were friendly to interact with; however, I was a bit disappointed that they disregarded my house rule of ā€œfill in the blank about extra guests.ā€ I admit that I did not confront them the first time they invited their daughter over, as I assumed it was just a one time event and the daughter is very pleasant to be around. So this was not really an issueā€¦at first.

However, they continued to invite the daughter over for the remainder of the stay. And still this was not an issue with me, as I got along well with this family. I only began to feel taken advantage of when I discovered the daughter was not just ā€œvisiting,ā€ but showered in the bathroom. Only paying guests should be using the shower, etc.

I also clearly communicate what items I offer guests to eat for breakfast, and I have a house rule of no cooking in the kitchen. On the last morning of their stay, I returned home to discover that some of my personal food was cooked."

4 Likes

I would not mention how or if they were pleasant to interact with. Just leave that out and tell the other facts. Youā€™ll not only never see them again, you will never host them again. These were bad guests. Cabin is right. Whether it was one egg or three lobsters they cooked your off limits food. A big no no. At the end I would say. I could not recommend these guests and would not welcome them back.

You are justified.

3 Likes

Typically, this would also be my stance for bad guests. And my ā€œhunchā€ is that the guests knew exactly what they were doing. I only put that part in there because Sunshine may feel bad about not having said anything. And because she somewhat made a ā€œsilentā€ exception to her rule based on the fact that they were friendly. So it might be a little strange to read that she was so unhappy with them, yet tolerated the behavior for the entire length of stay. Also, I thought it would be good for the guests to know why she tolerated a bit, then later felt taken advantageā€¦if that makes senseā€¦

3 Likes

Spot on. Definitely mention the eggs etc! How rude to bring their daughter around!

3 Likes

Yeah, every host needs to know that the house rules were not followed. Now, if it was a party, bothering neighbors, damaged property, etc, sure as heck Iā€™m mentioning specifics in a review.

In the case of these guests they deserve a scathing review. ā€œThese new guests clearly didnā€™t read my house rules, including: no guests, no cooking, and no access to certain areas. While one of these could be attributed to not being used to the home sharing system, they did not respect my home and I cannot recommend them.ā€

1 Like

I would just add ā€œno additional guestsā€ but I like your review. It makes sense. Oh I would also add that they stole her food!!! Like I said, whether it was a sirloin steak or two eggs, they used food that didnā€™t belong to them. Yuck! Really bad. Donā€™t be nice to these people, no need!

4 Likes

I like it Cabinhost. Ta:) I might wait till the end date to write their reviewā€¦

I hope they arent the type to mark me down for not having enough eggs or not enough towels for the daughter! lolā€¦Id actually go through them if they did.
Thinking back I had a guest who used our cheese every morning. Then she had a cheek to mark us down for value.

Its only me and my partner in the apt. I dont eat eggs but my partner does- but he def didnt finish them off.
The egg box was just left laying on the side in the kitchen also, along with the pot.

2 Likes

Shaking my head. Just makes you wonder if there is not an easier business to be in. Personally I would mention the eggs. It bothered you enough to tell us about it and itā€™s the principle. Also, they broke a house rule!

We as hosts, should not walk on eggshells about bad guests. They are gone, never to return!
Do they for a minute hesitate to crack us on nit picky things? Yes itā€™s only an egg, but it was grievous in a number of ways. It broke your rules, they stole food, they left their pans like a teenager would and they left you without eggs should you have needed that egg or counted on it.

I say itā€™s a big deal! :smiley:

2 Likes

Worse than stealing the eggs for me is leaving me the pot to wash, this must get a mention. Wow

2 Likes