Guest who continues to bring in unauthorized guests...review help requested

@cabinhost THANX! I really appreciate it!

You clearly feel very strongly about but that’s not the issue so I have no wish to go any further with a discussion about what constitutes an unauthorised guest.

The issue is that you are writing confusing reviews and indeed being a confusing host. Why tell a guest you’d have them back while secretly festering that their son came to pick them up? And then write a review that side swipes your guests? They will not see it coming, as the last thing you said to them is ‘you’d be welcome back’. The best way to educate guests is not through a nasty review; that’s what you do when all communication has failed and your guest was unreceptive to a hosts requests. In the situation where a host finds themselves writing a bad review, there is no ‘I’d have them back’.

I’d recommend that you stop with the mixed signals and passive aggressive tone. If you didn’t like them as guests write your review and move on.

4 Likes

They are allowed if they are paid for and their full makes are given to me prior to check-in. I have had people try to say exactly as above that since they were just dropping by to see the place that they didn’t need to pay. ANYONE who enters my house I want to know their full name and their payment. In my current Guests case I offered to charge Half price for the visiting so. On the days he didn’t spend the night. He’s only spending the night half the time and is a soldier. His dad is there for 19 nights.

If you have a suggested edit for that House Rule I’d be happy to hear it.

I don’t think that they would be good guests for a host such as myself who permits guests to have guests. In my view the real point is that they didn’t follow your house rules, not the specific rule they broke. If they believe that rules don’t apply to them, they will apply this “logic” to any house rule. In your post you said that they didn’t believe the extra person fee should apply to them and they didn’t believe the extra guests rule shouldn’t apply to them. In both cases they gave you “reasons” why they were the exception. This makes me believe that they will just do whatever they want at any listing and make up a reason that they shouldn’t have to do what others have to do. I call this entitled.

4 Likes

@EllenN. Very good points! Thanx.

@Robert_Dudley ~ (I never know which side of the bed you’re getting up from but you seem to provide some comic relief just when my tolerance level and eye-rolls have reached their limit…so thanks!)

2 Likes

I must confess that much of the time I don’t really understand @Robert_Dudley’s posts. Though I get the feeling that some of the content is intended to be humorous. But that’s just educated guesswork.

3 Likes

Z[quote=“faheem, post:29, topic:9689”]
confess that much of the time I don’t really understand @Robert_Dudley’s posts. Though I get the feeling that some of it is intended to be humorous
[/quote]

It’s intended to be sarcastic. Sarcasm is masked hostility.

I agree with you on this one. It doesn’t seem worth leaving a terrible review for.

3 Likes

@faheem ~ Humor is subjective and I think it’s based on life and cultural experiences. His humor is often of the in-yer’-face variety and sometimes irreverent, whereas, your humor comes across as unintentional and innocent.

You both crack me up.

Hmm. If that is the case, that would partly explain why it is hard to understand. Sarcasm doesn’t really work on the net, unless it’s really well telegraphed. And that kind of defeats the purpose. Personally, it’s one form of humor I try to avoid in virtual contexts.

Hey, how do you know it’s unintentional? For all you know, I could be going through multiple drafts…

2 Likes

Hahahaha…see what I mean?!

1 Like

Unfortunately I mislaid my mind-reading ray helmet, so no, not really.

2 Likes

I think that says it more clearly “ANYONE who enters my house I want to know their full name and their payment.”

If you leave the more honest review, I don’t think you’ll have to be concerned about them booking again.

2 Likes

Me too. It seems that the word ‘hospitality’ has left the vocabulary of many of today’s hosts. The way some people describe their house rules are more suitable for a prison than a vacation rental.

8 Likes

I’m so glad you said that! Hopefully, I don’t think all is lost … we’ve just come back from our regular visit to cape Town to see son and daughter-in-law, and I got quite worried beforehand as one of the things we like to do, since they live half a world away from us, is invite them over for drinks and a meal (we always stay in full apartments). As some of the threads here led me to be concerned that this might not be possible, I wrote to all three hosts we were staying with (we were away for almost a month) and asked if this was ok. All wrote back that it was fine, offered to lend anything we needed and one even offered her housekeeper to come and cook for us! The general tone of their replies was that they were surprised we felt we needed to ask!

Now, I do get that the OP was in her own home rather than a separate apartment and therefore might feel the need to be more cautious, and I also have experienced the full horror of a multi-generational Spanish family “visiting” our guests and taking over the WHOLE garden, pool and, it seemed, neighbourhood until 3 in the morning, but this wasn’t the case here. I wonder if the OP could think of a way that ensures here safety and security without such draconian rules?

4 Likes

You know what just struck me about this whole thread and the reason it’s so depressing ? You’re running a business. Here is a situation where a married couples in-laws are in town to visit them. No doubt you were chosen because of your proximity to the couple. The couple clearly don’t have the space (or maybe don’t want to host) family. During the parents stay, they pop in and take a look and despite being there for only a short time it’s interpreted as having unauthorised guests.

You know how big an opportunity this could have been for you? Two sets of in-laws, brothers and sisters in laws etc, you could have been the person they chose in the neighbourhood to host small family visits. Instead of seeing a good opportunity to get some repeat business, you want to write a review that literally takes money out of your pocket, for no apparent reason.

7 Likes

@Zandra - a perfect reply!

I often have guests who are visiting family in the area and of course I allow them to show their family where they are staying. In fact, I’m happy that they want to show it off!

I have several repeat guests who stay with us because the rental is local to where their family lives and they want to return because they’ve had a great stay. I love repeat guests because a) I know that they love the apartment and b) I know that they are great guests because of their previous stay.

And yes, I have one family who book often. The mother and father, then the brother and sister-in law, then the aunt etc.

Plus they refer other people. It can’t get much better :slight_smile:

5 Likes

How do I know, prior to check in, that my Auntie in town might be coming over at Wednesday 3pm for a scone or to pick me up. How could I register that with you? I think that it is ok to bring anyone back if you are getting changed quickly, they are picking you up etc for a whole house rental. If its in a hosts home, a quick ask would be reasonable and it would be unreasonable for a host to say no I think.

1 Like