Guest burnt my wool doona and dryer, need advise

What I meant by I don’t understand how dryer works, is that I don’t understand the inside, electrical wire, parts thing.

If what she said was true, they wouldn’t offer to pay for the doona in the first place. They would argue my dryer is faulty and it burnt the doona. Anyway, this morning, all conversation were in words, no way to document. We had a lot of conversation since 10days ago, through Airbnb message system. But today, when she messaged me about what happened. I asked her what was burnt? Dryer or doona or both? And I asked is the single or king size doona burnt. She didn’t reply since then.

“The filter”…

Which one are you talking about, because there are multiple filters.
From you description you have a dryer with a “heat pump” this type has an extra filter that needs to be cleaned too, but it is hidden.

What brand/type is the dryer? I will look for this filters location.

1 Like

Hi Chris, thanks a lot. It is a fisher&paykel 5kg vented dryer. I’m not aware there is a second filter. I used similar model before, for many years and only clean the lint filter.

Yes there is. Send what you’ve said and the exchange typed up through the message system.

1 Like

I’d take a look and see if cloth fibers have been trapped somewhere. As Chris says, check all the filters. Do you have a manual? And there are probably forums online you can ask about such a thing. I know that calling a service repair person can be very expensive in some parts of the world.

1 Like

Thanks Kirsty. I just sent a very long message, covering our conversation this morning as much as I remember. Thanks for reminding me.

Thanks faheem, I will check on Monday, after my current guests check out. It is an exhausting day for me, and I have to work full day tomorrow, sigh…

Get a repairman to come and check the dryer, they can give you a receipt and a statement if the dryer needs replacing. As for the next guests, you need to apologize the dryer is out of order due to previous guest. Most people Can manage without a dryer for a few days. Clothesline or local laundromat.

3 Likes

Hi Louise, thanks for your advice. The dryer only cost 399, it is a very basic one. Getting a repair man cost at least 120-150 call out fee in my area. This is really frustrating situation for me.

1 Like

Ah, this is not a heat pump dryer, but a vented one. The heat pump was in the other dryer topic.

The problem with vented dryers is the exhaust, they tend to clog up with lint after long use.
People also tend to reuse their old exhaust tubes when replacing the dryer.

Where does the exhaust go? Outside? You should check if the pipes are still open.
Also take the exhaust tube off, and have a look (and feel) inside the dryer and take away all lint.

2 Likes

I would be aware that the burning might not be a result of the dryer being overfilled. Typically, the cause of dryer fires is lint build-up, as lint can build up in areas of the dryer other than the lint trap.

Also, if you have a newer dryer, you need to make sure that the exhaust hose is metal rather than plastic. Newer model dryers are designed to have a high heat capacity, and as a result, plastic exhaust hoses can often melt, become damaged, or catch fire as they are not rated for the heat emitted by newer dryers.

The point I’m trying to make is that if you do get a repair man to look at the dryer, be prepared for the fact that the damage may not be the result of overfilling the dryer, and would therefore not be the guest’s fault.

1 Like

Good point about the exhaust hose. That’s definitely worth looking at.

Yes, if the dryer motor is overworked it can short out which can cause a burnt smell. Also, if the load in the dryer is too large instead of spinning it stays stuck to the sides of the inside of the dryer. If the guest set the heat on high this can burn the clothes particularly if they are made of a petrochemical based material like nylon. In addition, if the dryer lint screen and vent hoses aren’t cleaned regularly the lint can catch on fire. I had a client who had a house fire as a result of lint that had built up in the vent hose.

1 Like

I’m sure the lint filter was cleaned very frequently, and before each guest check in. The hot air was blown into the laundry room through the bottom front of the dryer. I cleaned there as well, very little lint were found near the hot air exhausting part. I read the instruction and there is no hidden (second) filter. No burning smell was ever noticed or mentioned by me or any guest. I did had 1 very picky guest who made multiple comments about things not listed in my amentities, even her didn’t mention the dryer is faulty. Anyway, I use the dryer between changeover, I dried 4-6 loads on approximately 8 May, 12 May and 16 May, respectively. The dryer was perfect, no smell and the guest checked in 18 May. I can exclude the possibility of lint built up causing the burn. It is a very basic vented dryer, not some complicated ones with exhausting hoses.

That’s a comprehensive summary, thanks.

Though I don’t see why the dryer motor would be overworked if one stuffed a large woolen duvet in there. In fact, I’m not sure what would cause a dryer motor to be overworked. Perhaps letting it runs for long periods without stopping?

But the other points all look very solid.

Hi @Freya,

That’s a little surprising. I would have bet that it was stuck cloth fiber that was causing the burning smell. It sounds like you will unfortunately have to call a repair person if you want to find out what the problem is.

I just read the instruction again and it mentioned only dry cloth washed with water. The guest only treated the stained part and 90% of the quilt were dry I guess. Also the dryer were really a small one and the quilt were really huge compared the the size of the drum.
Here is a picture of the burnt quilt. Cotton cover and 100% wool filling

Picture of dryer, the bottom part are exhaust ducting, very little lint were found around the ducting today. And this dryer would not start if lint filter is full of lint. After the guest left, lint filter were like 1/3 full only.

Anyway, for host doing whole house rental, remember to advise guests not wash quilt, blanket or other beddings. Also maybe consider putting the factory instruction manual in the listing in case your guest doesn’t have common sense and blamed you no instruction manual were provided. (I only provided a simple guide written by myself). Now the guest didn’t reply to my message and refused communication completely, like a kid, “well I knew I was wrong, but I don’t want to take responsibility, I don’t want to solve the problem by discussion, negotiation”, leaving me frustrated.