Girlfriend wants 50/50 to "manage" an airbnb on my property!?!?

I would let her have 100%, and ask her a monthly rent.
Make it a business agreement, so when the relationship ends, the business can continue or end in a controlled manner.

I would not do any splits, to much risk and responsibility for you as an owner.

And for her it is also better, because she gets 100% for the effort she puts in, so much more motivation.

2 Likes

We Marxists think value is created by labor, not capital. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

50/50 seems excessive. Best to just ask someone else and avoid the possible strain in the relationship. Youā€™re posting so obviously you think itā€™s wrong from the outset.
Iā€™ve asked my mother to help me with the cleaning side but am just going to hire someone to do it instead because itā€™s just caused more arguments.

3 Likes

I disagree! Weā€™re so scared of asking family and friends to help we end up going to strangers first, which seems a shame when there may be someone in your network that would love the opportunity to earn some cash and learn a bit about hosting.

1 Like

Whatā€™s there to disagree about? @Gary_Woohoo did ask family (his mother) to help with the cleaning but since itā€™s causing arguments, heā€™s going to hire outside help. Heā€™s not saying one should always choose outside help.

1 Like

If sheā€™s getting free room and board then she should be taking care of the Airbnb for free !

2 Likes

I 100% agree.
I just imagine myself living a life bills and food expenses free. I had this life before the age of 17.
If I had a partner like you who would pay all my expenses I would try to at least do something for that person to show my gratitude . 50/50?? She is out of her mind. If this was a situation where she paid her bills and was totally independent from you otherwise, that a different story. Then you pay her for cleaning whatever ongoing rate is in the area and management but no more than 20% if you totally canā€™t do it yourself. Honestly itā€™s not that huge of a job and many many people do it alone without any help.

Why she is not paying anything at all? And where did she find you , lucky girl. I want one of that too!

2 Likes

Seriously? Allowing him to have 50% profit on his own property? Wow, thatā€™s something I never heard before

Modern life doesnā€™t permit anymore ā€œman pays for everythingā€ situation. Unless a man is very rich . Life is expensive and requires 2 to dance. If a woman is not raising a child and is able physically and mentally to work then she should make some money and contribute to household, otherwise resentment at one point will arise .

3 Likes

Obviously, what I am responding to here is his apparent resentment that she is with him at all. HIs post was aggressive and mean. Also, running an Airbnb is work.

1 Like

Itā€™s is work but not so difficult as you need to have some special ā€œexperienceā€. Anyone can do it. Without experience he will just make less money and will encounter a beginner problem but itā€™s not something that requires going to school or get a degree for.
If I had a partner who I paid for every step of the way came to me with this idea I would resent him too, a lotā€¦

2 Likes

I agree wirh Yana. Sheā€™s taking advantage of him and his generosity of allowing her to live free. Soā€¦of course heā€™s resenting her for feeling entitled to even more.

3 Likes

@yana @Michaela_Graham where does it say heā€™s allowing her live there for free?

Itā€™s in OPs answer to someone that she pays nothing including grocery

We know only what OP has told us. Reading his post gave me an image of someone who is spiteful and mean. He would rather she store her furniture at a cost to her than use it to furnish the rental. That peek into his character was enough to make me feel sorry for the ā€œgirlfriendā€.If it was me 100% wouldnā€™t be enough.

1 Like

Why donā€™t you just marry her and make it legal?

2 Likes

The fact that sheā€™s storing it and not bunging it on Craigslist speaks volumes to me - maybe she doesnā€™t expect the relationship to last?

1 Like

Well, to be fair, why isnā€™t any of furniture allowed to move with her into their home? To be honest, the conjecture on this thread is fairly astonishingā€¦ Like listening to my mother who can make up entire life histories after overhearing a single sentence. :wink:

8 Likes

May be she likes her furniture . No one knows for sure. But I saw many situations when one of the partners is just living of another without giving it a second thought without any reason other than she/ he is allowed to do that.

And here comes resentment. I donā€™t think OP shows any mean personality . I can see him
Being upset that on top of him covering all the expenses his partner comes up to him with such a suggestion.

One thing would be if OP himseld offered this to her. He would say something like: hey I have this guestā€™s house just sitting there . Why donā€™t you use it as your income since you lost your income by moving in with me. But itā€™s obviously not the case. The major factor is that OP completely took over her living expenses including food.
She did loose her Airbnb invome but she gained much more of not worrying about how to pay her rent or food.

Op even considering 30% . What he is upset about that she wants half of what that place will bring and judging by the fact that itā€™s a lake house it could be quite a sum .
I am sure there was an argument when she told him something : but I am furnishing the house . Which OP does not even considering any significant contribution at all. And he is right. I furnished 4 bedroom home from
OfferUp.com for less than 2000$.
The main point here is that itā€™s his house not hers and he can do with it whatever he wants . I agree with him that what she wants is too much. And she only demands it because of her relation to OP.

1 Like

The OP said they have been living together for a year and he didnā€™t want her furniture in his house so the GF came up with ā€œstoringā€ it in the lake house-proposed Air rental.

Speaking of conjectures, hereā€™s mine: Since we havenā€™t heard from the OP in quite a while, Iā€™m thinking thereā€™s trouble in River Cityā€¦some fur flying on the ranchā€¦perhaps World War IIIā€¦

1 Like

The OPs first line on this thread is ā€¦my girlfriend is moving inā€¦ as in theyā€™re negotiating terms including what to do with her stuff. He also said sheā€™s an experienced host and has had the idea of hosting in his lake houseā€¦ and that sheā€™ll furnish his place with it. None of it has happened yet.