From best to worst guest in less than a month!

Yes, that is how this could have been handled. Unfortunately, in this particular case, the guest didn’t opt to be honest and upfront about his plans or intentions. I have had guests that have asked, in advance, if they may have someone stay with them (I think every time is has been a male guest who’s significant other has come to town for a weekend). Most of my guests are long term, so we have developed a rapport and I have approved their request. Again, this is in advance of the additional guest’s arrival… so I process the change request, with the additional fee included, and then they approve and pay - in advance.

No the deposit is only done as a hold on the guest’s credit card and only if damages are claimed after the check out, will the deposit be charged.

@katnhat sorry to hear about your poor experience. We had a similar situation where I specifically asked if the guest would be bringing in any extra people and he said no and proceeded to have his wife and newborn son in the suite at least 3 times a week and up to 4 for a month. While we did report it to Airbnb, we were concerned that because he was a local, he would retaliate in some way or report us to the city so we decided to just swallow it. They left the suite disgusting, the sheets and mattress was stained beyond repair and didn’t return our keys for a week so we changed the lock. I’m really glad you stood your ground and kicked him out - good for you! Having a guest stay that has clearly violated your trust is the worst.

Another layerer here. At home I wear my indoor UGGs (yes I have a pair that have never been worn outdoors despite their £160 price tag) and the sheepskin is incredible for keeping my feet warm. Warm feet warm body. I also love a hot water bottle and blankets.

I run the house cool because it’s my preference, guests often want it hotter - I don’t have much control over it as I have underfloor heating that only goes on at night.

I never understood why people want to wear T shirts indoors when they live in a cold country it’s a slightly odd expectation.

2 Likes

I have been doing airbnb for more than 18 months. 99% super guests. 100% 5 star reviews.

To new airbnb folks, do your homework first. Never do instant book and do not pre-aproove. Ask questions until you are satisfied and let them ask as many as they want. Make sure you have one key to the flat they do not have. Have a couple of bouncers to get rid of them. I have NEVER had to use these precautions, a frown from me is enough, Then again, I take the time in advance to know who is coming in my front door and I get it in writing, in advance, on the airbnb forum-

Common sense.

I have been doing airbnb for 33 months. 176 reviews, 190 or so stays, multiple repeat guests, 97% 5 star reviews, almost 14% booking rate, superhost for 10 straight quarters.

I’ve used instant book for the last 2 years and I’ve pre-approved everyone who has inquired rather than instant booked.

It really depends on what kind of rental one has and where you are located. New hosts probably should not instant book right away if they are given the option but once they learn their market instant book might work for them. Some new hosts are not given the option, they are forced to have IB. That doesn’t mean they can’t be successful.

2 Likes

We are all individuals. I’m glad your way works for you. Mine works for me.

I am sorry but did you say to get a couple of “bouncers” to get rid of annoying guests? What country you live in, just curious?

3 Likes

(Yana, you are tooo funny!)

2 Likes

Actually Yana, the ‘‘bouncers’’ part was a joke - sort of. When you are an
old lady like me living alone, inviting total strangers into your home, it
is wise to have a back up plan in case things go wrong. I live in Sweden,
and have 2 young Viking friends who regard me as a surrogate mother and
would be here in 10 minutes should I feel threatened. I never have felt
threatened as I always vet my guests carefully, many of whom have remained
friends. However, I read all these complaints from hosts, who simply did
not do their homework. THAT was my point- My guests have been fantastic,
and I strongly recommend the airbnb model-

1 Like

This is in regards to the long review. I personally like them. I’ve only done two bad reviews in my seven years hosting here. Both were long. I’m planning to post another long one in exactly nine days.

I realize you can make them shorter (and one of my jobs is as an editor) but sometimes detail is called for. Wouldn’t you as a host want to read the gory details if a guest with a bad review enquired? :smiley:

Plus I just feel better when I can let it all out!

2 Likes