First Creepy Guest, Considering Surveillance Cameras

Exactly. Every house/home is different with it’s own idiosyncrasies and systems for shared living. I don’t think it’s a cultural thing… That’s why the initial house tour is SO important so that you can re-iterate things and explain WHY things work the way they do in your place. I’ve felt a bit uncomfortable in some airbnbs because things weren’t explained to me properly.

2 Likes

BTW, kudos to you for speaking directly to your guest @LizinMN. Sorting this situation out directly takes some guts and is the mark of a true host, imo, rather than running to call Airbnb over every little thing! I’m often surprised at how often hosts are advised to call airbnb over things that they should be tackling themselves. Hats off to you :slight_smile: and hope things settle down with your guest now.

4 Likes

Thanks, Magwitch. Adding words to make it 20 characters.

1 Like

You’re very welcome. Please let us know how it works out? So often people post things and we never get to hear the end of the story. All the best to you.

2 Likes

APPEARED IN YOUR DREAMS??? :hushed:

1 Like

He’s still got 6 more nights here. He’s actually trying his best to correct the problems, but he was practically right on top of my husband while my husband was cleaning the other guest room. This guest was trying to make conversation, but he doesn’t understand about getting too close. Last night, I was up late and heard him loudly swearing to himself in his room. I sent him a note through the Airbnb site to not do that, as it’s uncomfortable to hear. I’m under no delusion that he’s seen that note or will respond to it. But I need a note trail in case I need to cut the stay short.

Another 6 days? Oh I feel for you :frowning: I have had some odd and difficult guests in my time and remember counting down the minutes until they left. Hang on in there. Out of interest, has he any reviews from previous stays or is he new to Airbnb?

No reviews. He might get a thumbs down from me. I don’t think he’s suited to Airbnb stays. Or perhaps, a thumbs up, but I’ll be honest in what I write about his mannerisms.

An excellent approach. It’s always the best way to let other hosts know about our problems with guests. He might be suitable for a standalone apartment though?

Yes, that could be true.

1 Like

If you give a thumbs up, I believe he’ll be able to IB. Something to think about…

1 Like

It’ll be thumbs down for sure. I’ve finally gotten Airbnb involved. He woke me at 5 AM with shouting to himself in his room. We have a written and spoken rule of quiet time between 10 PM and 8 AM. Then he started to walk in on me in the bathroom. He knows to see if the light is on, as it shows under the door, and not to attempt to open the door if someone’s in there. I told him to pack his bags and leave, but he asked for one more chance. I detailed the problem to him, again, in the Airbnb message system. I sent the whole stream to Airbnb through Twitter and had a phone call with them this morning. Airbnb agrees that with one more strike, violating our rules or making us uncomfortable, we will tell him to leave, and he will forfeit the rest of his payment to us. Airbnb will then cancel on his behalf, so we don’t get dinged for that, and the room will then be open. One. More. Chance. That’s it.

That’s ridiculous and why people get frustrated with Airbnb. You are supposed to be able to cancel if you feel uncomfortable. There is clearly something wrong with this fellow! Because of that I feel for him but we are not social service agencies. He should not be sharing a home with anyone.

2 Likes

The one more chance is what I’m giving him. I think if I had told the Airbnb rep we needed him out now, he would have helped us with that.

Ok, your place, your choice.

In scanning the thread again it seems he’s already had enough chances. If I were renting your other airbnb room and had to deal with this guy I’d be out of there, calling Airbnb to relocate me and it would probably result in a bad review.

Our new guest comes tomorrow. We’ll see. Trust me, it won’t take much at this point to tell him to leave.

What in the world is the guy saying when he is ‘shouting to himself’?! It might be a clue as to what’s going on in his psyche…like, maybe he’s hearing voices. That seems to be the common symptom with the crazies who have been randomly attacking people.

Sometimes it’s just a word, like, “Yes!” Sometimes he talks about the insidiousness of landline phones. One night in the middle of the night it was a stream of swear words. I was up at the time, and it didn’t wake me, and I’ve been known to swear, but when it’s out loud, to himself, in his room like that, it’s discomforting to say the least.

I have never had creeps and there may be two reasons: my price is probably much higher, probably more than most hosts on this list; and I do not use Instant Booking. I also demand, upon getting an inquiry, full information on the person, his/her work, place of residence, and reason for visit. I suggest those who get these weirdos double their price and never use Instant Booking. Unfortunately it seems that many hosts rely on AirBnB for a good portion of their income, so that presents a problem. You have to decide between getting sane responsible guests and putting up with strange behavior and habits not to mention the risks of breakage, theft and anti social behavior.
Our annual income from AirBnB is not substantial but it does pay many of our bills. So far we have been lucky to have
really responsible sane guests who rarely if ever make demands on us or have strange habits or are not clean and neat.
Why so many hosts get the nutcases I do not know but raising your price will definitely fend many of them off.

I strongly disagree with this. I never understand this idea that high prices attract better guests. It’s simply not true. You have to price your listing according to the market and to what you offer. It would be ridiculous for me to double my price. I would get guests who are hugely disappointed with my budget accommodation, I would get bad reviews and that would be the end of my business. Travellers on a budget are not bad people!! I attract lovely guests: students, young backpackers, older guests who want a homely experience etc. Just because you have plenty money to spend does not make you a better person. It’s silly to suggest such a thing. My worst guests have been well-off penny-pinchers who were too tight to pay for a hotel. They were strange and anti-social, too. Your post reeks of snobbery, frankly.

2 Likes