First bad guests... Hurray!

I condensed it a bit, fixed a typo, and worded it a little differently for clarity:

Myrian was not clear in her communication prior to reservation which resulted in her arriving unexpectedly 24 hours early at our place. She thought an arrival at 2:00AM did not require payment for that night. Thankfully she accepted the change of reservation, adding this extra night to her stay, without problems.

Myrian didn’t respect the house rules: On arriving she and her boyfriend briefly brought a visitor to the apartment. They were very loud while taking a shower at 5:00AM. For the last night Myrian had her niece stay, without asking us if this was ok. To be clear, this is a room rented in our home.

Myrian was also very argumentative about not getting a key to the apartment, although it is clear in our listing we do not provide one as there is always someone present. On the last morning Myrian and her niece left at 6:00AM with a big bang of the door and without saying anything.

For all of the above we cannot recommend Myrian to other hosts. She seems more suited to stay in a hotel instead of in someone’s home.

2 Likes

@konacoconutz Thanks for the help :relaxed:!

@cabinhost I am planning to review her last minute. Will she still be able to react?
I am going to rephrase the niece thing. Kona also mentioned that it’s confusing.

@Sarah_Warren Thanks for rewriting it. English is not my mother tongue (as you probably would have guessed already :grin:), so it’s not all perfect and fluid :blush:. It does sound better and clearer in your version :relaxed:. Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve culled it a tiny bit more, hosts really want the most important bit first, the ‘need to know’. That is you can’t recommend her :slight_smile:

We cannot recommend Myrian to other hosts. She may be more suited to stay in a hotel but not as a guest in a host’s home, which is what we provided.

Myrian unexpectedly arrived the day before her booking (at 2am) and was unclear in her communication. When requested, she paid for the extra night. However, I was disappointed after waking us all up, Myrian and her friends then went night clubbing and woke us all up again with loud showers, drinking and talking at 5am.

Myrian didn’t respect the house rules: she brought over an unexpected visitor on arrival and then had another guest stay on her last night, without asking.

Myrian was also very argumentative about not getting a key to the apartment, however, our listing is clear - there is always someone here.

On the last morning Myrian and her unauthorized guest said nothing and banged the doors loudly at 6:00AM.

1 Like

I thought the response time is 14 days after the reviews have been revealed. But not completely sure of that.

1 Like

I actually like his original version. Except for the one confusing thing he cleared up, it read fine.

1 Like

No not at all - your English is great. May I ask what your first language is?

2 Likes

My mother tongue is Dutch. I’m from the north of Belgium.

Thanks for the compliment! I know my English is quiet good, but when it’s not your mother tongue it’s quiet difficult to get it to native speaker level: The level where everything sounds perfectly fluent, no words that don’t fit the context perfectly and with no (or extremely few) mistakes. But I’m not going to give up trying :wink:.

The question is: have you ever dreamed in English? My English professor in college was from Korea if I remember right. He could never pronounce my maiden name (Wesche) as the sche sound is not used in korean and his mouth was never able to form it properly, lol But I remember in one class he told us that he had a dream in English for the first time after a decade or so of citizenship in the US. He knew he had finally arrived in fluency and thinking in English.

1 Like

Thinking in English is no problem at all for me. Some people first go thinking in their own language and then start translating their thoughts, that is not the case at all. When I write it’s directly in English. Sometimes I do have to look up a certain more specific word. Or sometimes a certain concept pops up in my head, but it takes a few seconds to find the correct word in the language I am using. This sometimes even happens in my mother tongue :laughing:.

On dreaming in other languages… That is a really interesting question ! :slight_smile:
I don’t remember doing it, but it would really surprise me if I’ve never done so. I tend to dream about things that happened the day before, and lots of my days are spent speaking other languages than my mother tongue. I’m going to try and take note :wink:.

1 Like

@GutHend . Your English is very Good. Better than some native speakers, to be honest. Occasionally, you fall into “typical” traps of the English language. Would you like corrections when we see them or would you prefer we simply understand what you have written, and move on?

3 Likes

Yes, please correct me ! I will in fact really appreciate it :relaxed:. Although, truth be told, some errors are without doubt too deeply engraved in my brain :confounded:, so success isn’t guaranteed. But whatever sticks to me, will be a small step forward :blush:. Maybe it’s best to do it in private messages as to not change this forum in one big English class :grin:.
Thanks !

3 Likes

The only obvious one is quiet vs quite.

My English is quite good.
My guests sleep very well in their very quiet bedroom.

They are not pronounced the same, and they don’t have the same meaning, but many native English speakers mix these two words up. In fact, there is one forum member who has them reversed almost 100% of the time. A common, common error.

4 Likes

Quiet and quite are entirely different words. To be honest I thought that was an autocorrect…will be interested to see if it was a mistake.

2 Likes

Quite = rather
Quiet = lack of noise

2 Likes

Quite / quiet … Now that I see it written: I used to know this one :blush:.

English isn’t the most logically written language, e.a. if you compare to Spanish where writing and sound are almost 1 on 1. With rapid writing I easily make mistakes with all the words that sound the same: Your / you’re - there / they’re / their - … These are definitely the ones (not once :sweat_smile:) I always have to double check :grin:. Now I have an extra pair of words to double check. Thanks !

Edit: Thinking about it, quiet and quite do sound a bit different, don’t they? (kwayet <> kwayt)

2 Likes

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons… ‘quite’ can also mean ‘very’ as in ‘how do I look?’ ‘Quite lovely’ - meaning very lovely. In English English anyway :slight_smile:

3 Likes

English is difficult because it’s an amalgam of so many languages so rules for phonetics, grammar and such are not consistent across the board. I see this when teaching first graders and K how to read. They MUST know the letter sounds to be able to decode and read as well as write. So we drill them on letter sounds backwards and forwards and even then some letters have two different sounds. Always a challenge!

1 Like

And there are so many different types of English! I’ve been in the States for more than twenty years but sometimes Americans and I have the hardest time understanding each other. Mind you, I have a hard time understanding people from ten miles away from where I lived in the UK :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Same thing happens here in the midwest. There is a variety of ways to pronounce: Missouri, Illinois, 44, WASH!!! Once you add in colloquialisms and poor pronunciation/grammar, many native speakers are impossible to understand.

2 Likes

And then my personal favorite: to, too, two

English is not simple! Not that I have managed to become fluent in any other language mind you.

3 Likes