First bad guests... Hurray!

Yeah, you saved money on your travels, but now it’s going to cost more to accommodate that. Welcome to adult-hood. Thankfully I do self check-in, so I couldn’t care less about what time they arrive as long as they pay for the full night.

I thought the same thing. They want to check in 12+ hours early. Which makes no sense.
I see why you assumed the next day. It was not naive of you at all. Just logical.
Hope this ends well for you!

1 Like

This is SUCH a great insight! When I am traveling abroad these types of situations are just what happen. For instance, our flight leaving Europe in January was 6-flippin-AM. Did you see me asking the hotel desk for a SUPER LATE checkout? (3:30 AM) NO. I just paid for the extra night. Did you see me checking out at 12 the day before and then boo hoo and sit around the lobby or ask the bell desk to watch the bags because I was too cheap to simply book one more night? NO. I dealt with it! Like all experienced travelers should do!

6 Likes

As an experienced traveler I am always happy to find experienced hosts, who are not allergic to being hospitable and who are willing to work with me instead of against me. That is what the hospitality business is about. Otherwise I would just find someone who rents a room.

Very clearly a 3:30AM check out counts as an extra night. That’s a crazy example.

1 Like

I think AirBNB has both versions of the host model. My experience indicates that the listing description makes it quite clear which version a specific host has chosen.

2 Likes

Let’s hope the distinction will always remain crystal clear: I would not like to end up in a place where I don’t feel welcome. But I guess that I have good instincts, since in several decades of traveling I have always been fine :wink:.

1 Like

For the moment everything is going fine. The situation hasn’t escalated to anything worse. We got our payment today, so at least there wasn’t any problem in that department.
I am expecting a bad review and a very bad rating :sweat:, but I will leave an honest review for them also.
We will be glad when it’s Sunday and noon :relaxed:.

Thanks for telling me I wasn’t that naive and that my thinking did have some logic :sunglasses:.

@jackulas @Sarah_Warren Lots of respect for your points of view, but please do take the following things into account:

1. Not all airports in the world get several connections a day. It’s not always possible to chose your time of arrival.
  2. It usually doesn’t make a lot of business sense to go rejecting loads of guests because they arrive too late or too early. At least for us it doesn’t make sense.

The amount of flexibility for early checkins and late checkouts (and other things), and what the guest should be charged for this, is something every host should decide for themself. I like to try and work with my guests, to keep everyone (them and us) happy.
And on a human level I would hate to condemn all guests arriving late or early to hotels. I could be missing out on getting to meet wonderful people :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

You know what? I totally agree. I live in LA which is very busy and attracts tons of tourism, so I can afford to be picky. :slight_smile:

Every host should determine what is workable for his situation. I know for me as a guest I would never ask to check in at 2 am. I just wouldn’t. And as a host I would not say yes to such a request. But that’s me. Your situation may be different so you may have a different level of comfort with really late arrivals. It’s so great there are hosts like you out there so guests have options. That’s what this business is about after all: finding the right alignment between guests and hosts.

5 Likes

I would have happily sold them a bottle of my finest $15 wine for $50 and sent them back to the discotheque to drink it. Who the hell checks in at 2am and THEN goes out clubbing only to wake you up again at 5am and thinks this is acceptable behaviour in a home sharing situation? Honestly, it beggars belief

4 Likes

UPDATE !!!

Our bad guests have left the building ! :champagne: :tada:

The boyfriend that she has a long distance relationship with and who she must have been missing a lot since she especially came over from the USA for 3 nights, well for the last night she decided to swap him for her niece :expressionless:. The niece she brought over as a visitor in the middle of the night she first arrived. My hubby decided not to oppose to not escalate the situation.
Yesterday she didn’t communicate at all about her checkout today, but she and her niece left with a big door slam at 6AM :unamused:.
She didn’t take any of our belongings with her and didn’t cause any damage.

Now let’s see what I can come up with for our review of her :grin:.

4 Likes

Oh, I live 3 miles from an international airport, so about 1/4 of my guests are either arriving from a flight or taking off in the morning. I offer self check-in and could care less when they arrive (as long as it’s after my check in time) or leave (as long as it’s before check-out). If it’s reasonable (1-2 hours) and easily doable I accommodate when people ask nicely. But if you’re arriving after midnight and will be sleeping, then you need to pay for that night. And if you’re keeping me from getting a guest the day after then you’ll pay for that night. It’s common sense. I’m flexible and can accommodate a large variety of things, it’s just rude to expect it to be free.

2 Likes

I also do not accept late check ins as we live an hour away. With the late check out, I charge a half day rate if we are not busy because 1 am flight is the night!! If we have a back to back, 10 am sharp check out as we need 5 hours to clean the house and make up the beds. The times are very clear in my description. 2 am is really taking liberties. If they arrive very late, yep book a hotel at the airport and we’ll see you the next day.
I always ask guests to be specific with their times of arrival and departure so we both are on the same page.
I learnt in the beginning when a guest did not show up from another sight. He had not left a credit card number so not only did we loose 5 nights in peak season but also waisted 6 hours in travel king and waiting around. That is blatant bad manners. It will never happen again as I now use square and collect full payment a month before arrival.
One has to be in the call with everyone’s quirks etc.

I used to allow super late checkins because sometimes people coming into Hawaii get in so late. But once a guest texted they were still at the volcano hiking. They had said earlier they would be here at 10:00, but Two am came and went and no guest. I had to work the next day and get up at 5:30 and I was pissed. They decided to sleep in their car in the national park and come the next day. Sheesh. These same guests spilled a whole cup of coffee on my carpet and it’s still stained. So that initial flub portended some careless behavior. Even though they were nice… I have discovered that if they do something dumb at the beginning I will likely have issues with them the whole trip. This has happened again and again!

Now it’s 11pm at the latest. I changed my rules.

Funny how the guests themselves help you create new rules you had never thought of before!!!

4 Likes

I understand it’s nearly impossible to accommodate (very) late checkins since you live an hour away. But from a guests point of view I would never ever book a BnB that tells me to stay in a hotel the first night. No, it’s not going to happen.
But for BnB having too many guests anyway, of course it’s no problem to lose a guest once in a while.

First draft for our honored guest’s review.

Myrian was not clear in her communication prior to reservation. Resulting in her arriving unexpectedly 24 hours early at our place. Apparently she didn’t think she would need to pay for the first night, arriving at 2:00AM. She accepted the change of reservation, adding this extra night to her stay, without problems.

Myrian didn’t respect the house rules: On driving she and her boyfriend briefly brought a visitor to the apartment. They were very loud while taking a shower at 5:00AM. For the last night Myrian stayed with her niece, without asking us if this was ok.

Myrian was also very argumentative about not getting a key to the apartment, although there is no need for this because there is always someone present. On the last morning Myrian and her niece left at 6:00AM with a big bang of the door and without saying anything.

For all of the above we cannot recommend Myrian to other hosts. She seems more suited to stay in a hotel instead of in someone’s home.

@Sarah_Warren @Ash953 @Zandra @Cabinhost @jackulas @MaryJO @konacoconut @anon67190644 @Emily @Julia1 Sorry I called you in because it’s an older topic :slight_smile:.
Does anyone want to help me? My hubby thinks it’s too much and too harsh.

Thanks !!!

1 Like

Only the line about the niece seems confusing. Did she bring the niece or stay elsewhere? If she stayed elsewhere, I don’t see that as a big deal and might remove that. Otherwise I think it’s fine and not a bit too harsh at all.

2 Likes

She stayed two nights with her boyfriend, as announced in her pre-reservation communication. And then all of a sudden, without asking us, she showed up on the last night with her niece instead of her boyfriend.

Do you think it’s too long and too negative? I think I limited myself to facts, but am unsure if this is the way to go.

No, It’s perfect. But you should make it clear that she changed guest identities on you, if it bothers you. I think it reads fine and is not too long and sounds justified. In a review you are speaking to future hosts who may be making a decision whether to host her.

1 Like

I don’t think you need to mention the person was her niece, if your goal is to just say that she switched out guests without an okay from you. It kind of sounds confusing.

She may mention it was her niece in her response to your review anyway. Then again…that group was so strange it may not have even been her niece!

1 Like