Do you have a minibar in your apartments/house/room for guests?

Dear hosts, I’m new here, that’s why I’m sorry if I’m asking a silly question. I wonder whether it is reasonable to add a minibar in the apartments just like in hotels? Is it a popular amenity? Do guests prefer taking drinks from the minibar instead of buying them at the grocery store? I’m not an experienced host, that’s why it will be interesting for me to know your opinions. :slight_smile:

IMHO totally unnecessary, I never use them in hotels. Would you charge?

2 Likes

I have one guest that said wine can be nice.

Don’t forget in Sweden you can only buy alcohol over 3% at a special shop (only 3-4 in our city of 130k).

1 Like

Depending on the locality, this could place you in quite the precarious legal situation.

2 Likes

Yes, I have some kind of minibar.

I have a big fridge in the reception area, its filled with beer and soda.
Guests can take a drink and, put the money in a little piggy bank next to it.

It generates a nice extra income.

This pic is form the web, but mine is the same.

Guests often use it when they arrive in the evening.

In the beginning I had glass soda bottles, but guests could not close them again.
Now I have small plasitc bottlem guests can close them again, now I sell a lot more.

I also have small bottles of water, they mostly sell in the morning when guests are leaving for a daytrip.

2 Likes

Yes, I understand, but this is a common practice among the hotels, what’s the difference? I live in Russia and the rules we have about alcohol drinks are 1.You are not allowed to sell them to people under the age of 18 2. You cannot sell drinks after 10 p.m. How can these 2 rules place me in precarious situation? I can put also non-alcohol drinks, soda etc. I wonder if it is useful in apartments, because I had guests who had arrived very late and they were extremely tired, so I think that in this case it will be very useful offer for such group of guests.

Many localities require a license to peddle such goods.

2 Likes

Thank you, looks very nice. I will search for the smaller one (my apartments are not large enough for the unit in picture).

Ok, and what if I place only non-alcoholic drinks? I agree with your commentary. I will read more about licenses. Thank you.

1 Like

This unit serves 8 apartments.
I also have a big pooltable, near the fridge, this helps increasing the consumption. :wink:

We are allowed to sell as long as it is in closed bottles.

1 Like

Thanks, this is a very nice idea!

More and more hotels are removing minibars… Last ones I have been to provide complimentary soft drinks in the fridge and/or complimentary hot drinks in the lobby. That’s what I do too.

But I think that “selling” drinks is very 20th century. People want all-inclusive and generosity. They aren’t using Airbnb to find an overpriced minibar they would find in a hotel.

Lately i have even read about a hotel chain (Okko Hotels) who removed the bar and provides all-inclusive drinks and snacks in the lounge from breakfast to aperitivo.
Executives of this hotel chain say they introduced this concept as a part of their answer to the rise of Airbnb. I think this is the future.

2 Likes

If they stay 2+ days, I get them a growler of beer from the craft beer joint across the way.

4 Likes

What about clients have to pay extra for a jacuzzi and sauna - bikes ?

We are considering to make a spa in the basement and we are thinking to buy specific bikes for the rental

How would you handle that? Would they have to notify you of their intent to use the sauna/Jacuzzi before arrival so you could prepare it?

Basically I am thinking to have our own website with a possibility for clients to book the place with a specific time so I can remotly set up it (and smart lock on the door so only the clients that have booked and paid can use it)

It can be very popular I think as Sweden is cold in winter

In my opinion a mini-bar will not be worth the hassle. Especially if you try to sell the contents. If people want to drink alcohol they will buy a big bottle and bring it back, not buy the mini bottles.

Heck, we stayed at an Air property up in our St Petersburg (Florida), where they wanted to sell bottled water for $3 each and Coke for $4. Why would I buy that when I literally walked across the street and get the same bottle of water for $1.

1 Like

I won’t force my guests to buy smth in the minibar, this is completely their choice. Please, don’t forget that this is a business on the first place. The big hotels can give complimentary drinks to guests etc., because their incomes and the price per night allowed them to do these. People, who booked average looking apartments expect to have the whole flat paying less than for the hotel suite. What about extra services, such as babysitter, transfer to/from the airport, car hire etc.? Almost all of the guests will be very happy if all of these services are included, but if you would like to book an apartment at the average and affordable price, you should be prepared that not all of the services are included. That’s fair for me. Most of our guest are very price-sensitive (Russia, don’t forget), they use every single free amenity (e.g. free teabags, coffee, spices, cereals), which they find.

Many people use mini bars though. I travel a lot by myself, and sometimes at night when i dont have water and want to have just that one drink, i take it from hotel’s minibar. I know i am paying 3-4 times more, ut for the convinience i dont mind. I would rather do that then walking late at night on a street trying to find liquor store.

1 Like

I think people answer based on the situation in their own country. Australia has stricter laws than what you’ve described for example.

I’m with you though @Aya_St.Petersburg - I like the idea :slight_smile: Just seems to me that, while not everyone will be interested, if a guest arrives late or just doesn’t feel like going out for food or drink then it would be really handy for them.

1 Like