Do we have to give a reason for declining

I wish to decline a guest -do we have to state a reason? My reason is that the person has no profile and no feedback…

You could always ask them to complete their profile before deciding.

Don’t let lack of reviews bother you. Some of our best guests have been first timers.

2 Likes

Yes, I appreciate that, but I still am wondering about having to give a reason. I thought I read here that we were not required to give any reason.

In my opinion, declining someone for having no feedback is not a very good reason. I’ve had dozens and dozens of first time AirBnBers stay with me and they are not any different on average than guests with reviews.

Maybe give these guys or gals a chance?

Aside from that, yes, you are supposed to give a reason for declining. AirBnB will give you a drop down list to choose from and if it’s not one of those, you can manually enter your reason.

Please check out here:

http://www.airhostsforum.com/search?q=declining

Two other reasons I declined: He stated simply: shopping in that area. And also he lives in the same city that that apt. is located in, all easily reachable by public transportation. So it didn’t feel very right , no profile info., wants the apt. for shopping, lives in the same city.

1 Like

But i am still confused as to whether we must state a reason. I read here on this forum that we do not. Yet when I declined it insisted that I check a box stating a reason and also to give a message to this person. Is this something new? Thanks

Geez thats crazy. Noway would i book anyone with that picture. I told my guest we prefer someone with reviews and a full profile. I think we tend to be honest and upfront, but we need to learn what may potentially hurt our listing.

1 Like

Isn’t that Max Headroom from 1980s TV?

1 Like

I don’t have a problem with Airbnb’s policy on this. I think it’s fair that hosts are required to give a good reason for declining guests. From a simple business perspective, declining guests for no good reason is the number one reason that new guests are put off with platform and don’t use it again. From a human perspective, it’s not nice to be declined without an explanation. In fact, it’s pretty rude and unfriendly.

1 Like

Yes, it is a picture of Max Headroom. I remember him. Matt Frewer was the actor.

1 Like

I always check waiting for a more attractive reservation. (And more attractive guest, but they don’t need to know that, LOL. )

2 Likes

I agree with you, @Magwitch.

I also think the reason Air is so persistent on making hosts give a reason is because at this point, it’s well established that people of color have a much harder time booking on AirBnB. I imagine it’s the same for the LGBT community but I’ve not seen it documented as extensively. Studies also show people can be racist unintentionally or are totally unaware of it. So, given the negative publicity surrounding this real issue, Air is trying to get to the bottom of why hosts turn down certain guests. Hosts that consistently turn down guests for flimsy reasons–or no reason at all–should be held to the fire in terms of why.

And it makes sense. We can talk about the warm and fuzzies of the sharing economy but at the end of the day, it’s a business and our homes are a commodity. Hotels and licensed B&Bs don’t get the liberty of turning guests away based on their gut instincts. And this is for a really good reason–these industries would then also have a racism problem like Air.

To be clear I’m not saying the original poster is being racist. I’m just pointing out why I think Air is strict on giving a reason for declining.

I was just asking if we had to. I’ve hosted many guests with no feedback. Of course it is easier not to have to give a reason, I like the response just to say “more attractive booking”. Good idea. I was really just confused as to whether we HAD to - there seemed to be some conflicting answers from past posts. I’m not making an argument for or against. Thanks

1 Like

I thought you had to give an answer now.

And the “more attractive booking” option sounds like entrapment to me.

I always pick ‘does not suit the guests needs’ or however they word it. Makes it the guests’ problem not mine! And now Airbnb asks for a message sent to the guests as well, I just repeat the exact same wording

2 Likes

I always pick ‘does not suit the guests needs’ or however they word it. Makes it the guests’ problem not mine! And now Airbnb asks for a message sent to the guests as well, I just repeat the exact same wording

I just had my first decline where I was asked to give a reason. It may have been a mistake, but I was honest. The guest wanted to bring her 15 month old child. My place is not child proof, has stairs, and has the added peril of radiators with hot pipes running almost the entire length of the floor. I told her I simply would not feel comfortable- would worry constantly actually- if a child were to stay here. She said she would NEVER leave him unattended (I’ve heard that before) and offered to bring everything needed to baby proof my apartment (which would not be possible without some permanent changes). I regretfully declined. She responded with a “thanks for nothing! I’m having a hard time finding something that I can afford!!” Sigh…

Oh-oh, @tinyCar…you dodged a bullet this time but it sounds like you need to raise your rate just a smidgen if that’s the sort of guest you would be getting (i.e., no social manners).

1 Like

Yikes!! Do raise your rates!!

1 Like