Dinged on location.....why is this rated?

Sounds like a fun place to hang out to me!

Weā€™re in New Jersey - just across the Hudson River from New York City. We get dinged for location - but itā€™s not because weā€™re not in New Yorkā€¦ itā€™s because our block is a little shabby. But weā€™re in the nicest and newest building on the block - hence the cheap prices they get for a very nice space.

But I couldnā€™t stop laughing with a recent review where the girl who was coming to visit New York (as all our guests are), wrote, ā€œI didnā€™t know New Jersey was a different state!!!ā€

Well, thatā€™s why itā€™s not called New York, darlinā€™.

5 Likes

Was this an American?

I detest the ā€œlocationā€ thing. Here is my latest Locationā€¦they gave me a 4-star on location. They want streetlights?
Private location feedback =
ā€œAt night, kind of difficult to find your way back to the home because of very minimal street lights. ā€

Definitely not fair!
Next thing in your listing - please use supplied torch due to lack of street lights in our area!

2 Likes

Holy crap. What a-holes! Picky picky picky!!!

1 Like

:slight_smile: In your amenities basket, place some minerā€™s lights.

4 Likes

I think if you state your place is steps to the subway, bus station etc and it isnā€™t, then you can be marked down. When I travel, I choose based in access to public transit. Or is you say waterfront and itā€™s watefront, but there is a 100 foot dune in front of the building, (this happened to me in Cornwall pre Internet) and 200 yards to the water, then while it is waterfront, itā€™s not easily accessible or viewable.

As far as I can tell, there is no connection between how well we describe our location and how it gets rated. We recently had a guest give us less than five stars for location. Here is his location feedback.

ā€œA little bit outsider if the city. Not a problem just not centrally located. Staying with the hosts more than made up for it. ā€

Not only does our listing have a map, as they all do, in the Getting Around section we state the distance to downtown in miles and in kilometers.

2 Likes

I have ALL THAT and more. I still get cracked on location. I just had a guest today leave a review. I had thought I had gotten along great with this guest. She loved everything it turns out, but the location. So I was dinged for accuracy AND location. I explain in painful detail where it isā€¦ I put it in the house rules. Please make sure the location is a fit for you before booking. I do everything but take a hammer and pound it in their heads. Yet they book anyway, not thinking about where it is in relation to where they wanted to beā€¦ why? Because they donā€™t read. And because the Big Island is bigger than they thought. It is called BIG for a REASON. Hello it is the BIg Island. BIG BIG BIG.

But somehow that is also my fault. Go tell it to Pele! :rage:

Iā€™ve just inserted a detailed map of the island into my listing. The Airbnb one does not show an accurate location.

So disappointing. I just canā€™t win. :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Truly frustrating. As a host with a small room I feel your pain as I have similar issues.

2 Likes

I get the feeling that ABB works to drag negatives out of guests.

Location should be removed from ratings

4 Likes

Actually, I donā€™t agree. The question should be: Is the Location as described? That answer has some value. Location, as it is presented, simply gives guests the opportunity to complain that they couldnā€™t or chose not to afford the location that they actually wanted.

8 Likes

Well of course they do. ā€œTell the host what he or she could do betterā€¦ā€ Choke!

How about ā€œFind decent guests who appreciate the great value theyā€™re getting and will not bitch about insignificant stuff theyā€™d never think twice about at a motel theyā€™d be paying twice forā€¦ā€ :))))

7 Likes

Exactly so ! And I agree @anon67190644 location is a meaningful metric however it should be was it as described ā€¦ which is ironically so much like the other metrics.

1 Like

You are right, but it seems a bit much to compile a list of possible things that could go wrong and are, for the most partā€“out of your control.

ā€œYou might see a homeless man on the corner asking for change.ā€
ā€œThe streetlights are rather dim so bring a flashlight.ā€
ā€œThe neighborā€™s dog occasionally barks in the morning.ā€

2 Likes

Compiling a list of what might go wrong seems unreasonable to meā€¦ warning that youā€™re 30 minutes from the beach is the sort of thing Iā€™d expect

Of course increasingly guests are complaining about the former

1 Like

Iā€™ve mentioned this here before but it was ages ago. I am in a fabulous location. The apartment is waterfront and walkable to the best places in town. (Restaurants, cafes, museums, speciality stores etc.) Itā€™s about a 45 minute walk and five minute drive to the beach.

I describe it perfectly in the listing - for example I donā€™t give walking times to the beach but the distance. This is because I once told a guest that it took me about 40 minutes to walk to the beach and the next days she told me that she could do the walk in 25 minutes. OK, I amble and she marches.

But the point is that I get marked down on location. The most notable occasion was when a guest marked down the location because there were roadworks on the road to the beach!

I made a mental note to inform the city that in future they should not do any roadwork without my permission :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

All we hosts can do is shake our heads and think of Basil Fawlty and his herds of wildebeestā€¦

6 Likes

ā€œthere is a garden, the garden has trees, there are birds in the trees, they may sing in the morningā€¦ā€
:wink:

8 Likes