Dinged on location.....why is this rated?

Thank you. Our other dog is named Janie after the protagonist in “Their Eyes Were Watching God”. When we got Teacake, my husband insisted that he be named after Janie’s love, Teacake. I told him that would out us as pretentious types who would name their dogs after literary characters but he prevailed.

Spoiler alert ~ off topic.

@konacoconutz - When I saw the pic of your little one at two mos. old, my first reaction was ‘awwww!’ But then, as usual, I immediately fell into the high pitch baby-talk (which I swear I can’t help) that I often used when speaking to our little white Cock-a-Poo Taffy. She passed some years ago.

Don’t know why I can’t talk with a normal voice to little white doggy-loggies but the first thing I blurted out was, 'Awww, what a cutie-lootie, sweetie-leetie, honey-lunny!

I hate when I talk baby-talk.

2 Likes

LOL!!! It’s really hard not to do that when a dog looks more like a stuffed toy than and actual animal. She is the sweetest dog who ever lived, if I do say so!

Supposedly the actual dogs are irritated by our high voices…

Oh great…now you tell me!

It is all about what you’re used to for sure. I get 5s for everything except I notice the location star is still half blank. I don’t bother reading the reviews but I’m sure it’s for the usual stuff like you mentioned: They want to be on the beach or near a snow capped mountain but aren’t. Or maybe they got awakened by the dumb dog in back at 3 in the morning and couldn’t get back to sleep.

As long as I keep getting customers I’m not going to stress about the noise. But it sure would be nice without it, which I know is impossible because I do live in da city!

Oh gawd yes! Only one thing worse than the stupid dog barking is the stupid owner yelling at it…every 3 minutes. You poor dear.

1 Like

I’m with you two on that. If people don’t want their dogs to be in the house with them (as that’s what dogs really want), they shouldn’t have dogs. One of my friends told me that he planned to get a dog, but it would live outside. I told him that dogs aren’t garden furniture.

2 Likes

We’ve been marked down on location because the public “square” outside the building, which is fitted with public wi-fi is occupied by “disreputable” Africans. This in the middle of Capetown!

Post the URL for your listing and indicate what sort of areas you are looking for feedback on.

Depends on your culture, the weather and where you live.

I have family in rural Ireland where it’s quite common to keep dogs outside - my family’s sleep in a lovely dog house with lots of bedding, in a barn.

However they will come in, in the winter.

1 Like

It may be common in your culture. It is certainly not the dogs’ preference.

https://www.thedodo.com/can-dogs-live-outside-1264204847.html

@EllenN as I mentioned the dogs (four of them) are in a lovely cosy dog houses in a barn during the warmer months. They are farm animals.

They are not kept on chains in back yards in the cold as indicated in your article without any human companionship.

People feel passionately about this issue and I know lots of people with domestic pets are uncomfortable about dogs sleeping in a dog house outside.

Their local vet is happy with the arrangements they provide and says their animals are happy, well cared for and well treated. ( I know this because I bumped into him when I was over a few months back).

In fact in the article you linked to Dr. Rob Proietto, a veterinarian in New York City, explained that, while no dog should live outdoors his whole life, some dogs enjoy spending much of their time outside.

“Many dogs love to be outside and some in rural areas sometimes prefer to be outside. As pup parents, it’s important to know when they need to join their families and seek shelter,” he told The Dodo. “Dogs can overheat very quickly in warm weather climates and can get hypothermia in cold, wet conditions.”

1 Like

Clearly, you are not going to change how you care for your dogs, but that doesn’t mean that the dogs are happy. The more dogs are studied the more scientists understand that dogs’ primary source of happiness is proximity to and attention from humans. The documentary currently showing on Netflix discusses an experiment that proved that dogs prefer the company of humans to the company of other dogs.

“They are farm animals.” is a long used excuse for abuse of living creatures who experience emotions and can feel pain.

@EllenN - They are not my dogs and I am not caring for them. I quite clearly stated that they were my family’s dogs who live in rural Ireland. Nowhere did I mention that the dogs don’t have regular human contact. They are with them all the time during the day. All I said is that in the warmer months they sleep in a lovely cosy dog house in a covered barn.

Please read what I am writing and don’t put words into my mouth that I haven’t said.

Anyway we have disrupted this thread enough so I won’t keep it off topic anymore.

3 Likes

One guest marked me way down on location because they said I disclosed wrong information about how long the commute downtown can be. This was something verbal that they asked upon arrival. I answered that I wasn’t sure, since I don’t hit rush hour traffic, but it could be 20-30 without traffic, but up to 45 minutes, worst case. They focused only on what they wanted to hear. They did that with the entire review, however. The public feedback was short and sweet though, so I just chalked it up to assholeism.

2 Likes

Debthecat - I FULLY understand you. I too am an Aussie host, living in a rural area. I don’t have great deal of guests, and I fully understand this. But like you, I too have received negative comments due to ‘location’. From one end of my town to the other would take you no more than 5 minutes. I live a comfortable 10 minute walk (or 1 minute drive) from the main street. But some people still think this is too far. Distance is subjective - what might be a short comfortable walk for me, might be a long trek for someone else. My house is in a very quiet street, good area, off street parking. Just some people expect 5 star service for a budget rate.

1 Like

No Ikea? What’s wrong with Ikea? I just installed an entire Ikea kitchen that looks fantastic.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with IKEA, it just seems to be the budget furniture of choice - so some properties can look very generic. My houses were built in 1880 and 1920 and are furnished with antiques and vintage pieces. My Airbnb guests tell me they choose my homes because of my furniture and look.

1 Like

Actually, there’s something very, very wrong with Ikea. It was founded by a fascist.

True. I once told a guest that the beach is a 40 minute walk away and the following day she told me ‘nonsense. No more than twenty minutes’. I stroll and amble, she was ‘power walker’.

The best way is to mention the actual distances in your listing (use Google maps) so that guests are in no doubt.

1 Like