Controlling Behaviour? Am I becoming neurotic?

Maybe it’s just the paupers I stay with! LOL!!!

2 Likes

No, you’re not over-reacting. My favorite guests are the ones who leave the door open when they leave, but people from other countries, notably Europeans, have to close every door after they leave it. It was suggested that I put something in my description stating that I reserve the right to enter the room. I haven’t done this as nobody reads it anyway. I have a one-page write-up I give them when they arrive. I will add it to that. The last guest didn’t read that either, even after I told him he needed to after he asked me something answered there. It’s difficult ahead of time to think if every crazy thing they might do, but you could list the ones you know on paper and then go over it when they come. Some people are just rude and careless, and you have the right to make sure they don’t ruin your place.

1 Like

As someone who pays utilities in the US and in Europe (Sweden and Spain) let me tell you the US is SO MUCH cheaper. Electricity in Europe is expensive, period, end of story. We are averaging 500,00 Euro a month in Spain during the summer, which is nothing compared to the $250 we pay in the US for the same size property that also has an electric Hot Tub. So, while I do think @Zandra is being a bit neurotic (sorry mate) her concerns about over-consumption are more than valid. We have very fierce wording that at no point are the Air Con units to be run when the large 3M+ balcony doors are open, bc it is a total waste.

We also have an All- In- One combo in Sweden, and in Barcelona, I hunted down an “American” size dryer bc I knew the amount of wash the ABB generates. I do think an electric drying rack may help, but it really sounds like you need a dehumidifier. I know, I know, you are short on space, but this may solve your mould concerns. Even with a fan, open window, we still got substantial mould in our bathroom in Barcelona, bc of a number of showers that happen in the washroom.

1 Like

@azreala I appreciate it’s hard to realise that when I say I have a small flat… that I really, really mean it. So there’s no space for anything like a dehumidifier, either in the bedroom or in the bathroom. There is probably space for one in the living room (if it was wall mounted) but there are no issues with humidity in there.

I really don’t want an electric drying rack …I don’t offer washing facilities so I don’t really want to offer a drying service either. I use the laundrette perfectly fine so it’s not that I’m expecting guests to do something I don’t.

1 Like

You are left no choice but to be very clear.

“Sorry, absolutely no washing out of clothes. We don’t have the room or facilities to accommodate this so we kindly refer you to the launderette down the street. Thank you.”

I wouldn’t mention the humidity or mold. Just lay down the law is enough.

3 Likes

Would you have a place to store one and only run it when guests are out? I know they’re big and loud, but they can also be a life-saver. But yeah, get firm on the expectations on washing and care of the place.

No.

My entire flat consists of one small bedroom, a living room which consists of a very small kitchen in one corner, the living room in the other corner and a door in each other corner. And a small bathroom. There are no empty cupboards, no extra storage space in a basement, no loft space, no garden shed space. It is very, very small and there is no room for any additional items, certainly not bulky ones. I don’t even have space for another book so how I would get a dehumidifier in I’m not sure.

I appreciate it’s hard to imagine but really; it is perhaps time to accept that I mean it when I say I can’t fit anything else in there. :slight_smile:

I believe you that it’s small. Just thinking “out loud”. I feel for you, I really do. Time to crack down.

I’m actually going to start reducing the amount of hosting I do. It’s not a huge money maker for me in any case as I have to keep the price so low…

I can totally imagine your place, as I have stayed with friends in England who had similar. Not enough room to turn around. :slight_smile:

I also hear you on the burnout. I’m feeling that way. Back to back to back guests… Not enough time to fix things or just get a breather.

1 Like

I just had the worst review to date with a one star. Let me grab a screen shot of the review.

The long and short of it? Yet another guest who didn’t read the listing. I am truly starting to get mighty tired of this.

Plus I don’t sleep on the sofa! Factually incorrect as I have a Japanese shikibuton and sleep on the tatami in the living room.

These guests didn’t spend the night but it doesn’t stop them complaining as if they did. And yes they’ve asked for a full refund and again complained about the accuracy of my listing.

2 Likes

Oh good god. Let them go rent the Dorchester if they were looking for a private valentines evening. Are you going to respond? I wouldn’t know what to say, except for

I’m sorry she was disappointed, but Guest apparently did not familiarize herself with the listing details or house rules before booking.

Oh Geeze Zandra. I feel your pain as someone who just got a terrible review after going out of my way for a complaining guest, and even refunded. Luckily I was able to leave a terrible review and while I will recover, she never will. No one will ever rent to her on Air after reading what I wrote.

2 Likes

This is the second time in as many weeks that guests have been able to ignore the contents of my listing and then review against what THEY expected rather than what I promised. Air should be protecting hosts from this type of thing.

It’s laughable though as I’m very open about the living situation in the flat and tell people not to book if they aren’t comfortable with the arrangements.

1 Like

You might try giving Air a call. Say that the review is unfair because the guest clearly didn’t read the listing and ask them to remove it. Worth a try.

Perhaps when you accept a booking, confirm with the user that they understand what the space offers. I forget if you are IB or not. Maybe you could write that in the litte auto message that goes out or put it in the rules that they MUST read.

“I understand that this is a small shared space and I will not have use of the kitchen or get to wash out clothes.” That last was a joke, but you know what I mean.

Check over your copy again and be even more emphatic about what this is. You can even add what it ISNT.

I feel your pain on the burnout factor too. Maybe raise your rates a little and take it off IB. Make it more suitable for you and have it work for you or just take a break from it for a while.

1 Like

At the end of the day I’ve been hosting nearly two years and it’s only recently that guests seem to not understand what I’m offering.

But yeah burned out already. And since I only got back from travelling in December … well it doesn’t bode well.

I asked Airbnb to remove the last review for unrealistic expectations and they said no. Doubt they will do anything about this one as it’s the same issue

Keep escalating. Try Twitter?

This reminds me of my Italian guests who thought they got a whole house with kitchen for under $50 night. I even had my friend here for dinner look at the app to see if it was confusing and he said no, it was clear no kitchen was included. Still I put in more than one place, “no kitchen.” Maybe if you put your listing as a shared space instead of private room it would help. Then they might be surprised when they booked and got their own small room?

1 Like

Oh zandra I’m so sorry. Was this the pizza guests?

1 Like

lol and then they will complain about accuracy. Room was listed as shared but found there was an unexpected door. Not as expected !