Completely broken heart-

Just to clarify, the dude was hoping to eat your food, and he assumed you will feed him. I just want to picture this: so, he wakes up in a morning and goes to your fridge, gets the food out. And you tell him, why are you helping yourself to my food. And he says, but i have mo money, and no car, and i am hungry.
WHat exactly happen? ??

1 Like

According to the original poster, the father who is the one who made the reservation asked the original poster to feed the son. Here is the quote from the original post.

We asked our guest- the father- to help his son; he did not, but insisted that we should feed the son, and give him privileges outside of the scope of his stay.

I agree. And it seems that in recent weeks there have been an influx of new posters - hosts and guests - who have found themselves in situations because they haven’t taken the time to find out how Airbnb works and what rules and regulations are in place.

1 Like

I just re-read the whole thing – very few details: Did the father inform the host that he was booking for his son? Did the son show up without the father or did father and son show up together and the father said something like, “Here’s my son. Later!” and then leave? Why didn’t the host know that this type of circumstance allows a host to cancel immediately as it was a bait and switch (or, maybe it wasn’t and the host had full knowledge of the third-party booking arrangement)? None of these questions are answered. Nor is it clear that Greg M. bullied the host or was otherwise mean or inappropriate (hard to tell as we only saw one of Greg M’s emails). I had to deal with an incompetent Air CS before but I’ve never had one that was mean or belittling.

Again, a tale for other newbies to learn from as I doubt we’ll ever really know what happened.

1 Like

Again, Ellen – AFTER the host let the son in! Why was the son let in the house in the first place?

2 Likes

Again, sandy2, because the original poster believed (incorrectly) that Airbnb had changed their policies and now permits third party bookings.

The bigger issue is the lack of empathy on this board. Do you all really believe that it’s okay to insult and blame people if they didn’t do every single thing the exact way you would have done it?

3 Likes

I dont see any insults.
I would like to know specifics not just general frases. I cant see the picure clearly, what was exactly said, by father, what was exactly said by host

1 Like

How and where was the OP insulted? And why would any host think that non-business third-party bookings are ok? And, if they were unsure, easy enough to find out by going to the website and putting the question in the question box, like I did. You did not state how it is that you know “many people” seemed to be confused on this issue. Again – common sense, people! Who, in their right mind, would think that it is legit for one person to book for another in someone’s home when the host has no idea who the real guest is, and that if that happens – clarify with Air and/or cancel the reservation!!! In this day and age and with all the news stories about Airbnb scams? You have got to be kidding me.

The attachment is NOT to airbnb, but to values such as justice, authority, fairness, grace.

As for me any business that I have ought t do with, has got to be ready/ able to honor values like these. When they do not, I will speak. Regrettably, some like yourself will think it’s their position to reply, eve though they do not know enough about the situation/ values to even stand at the mic.

1 Like

As I’ve stated over and over; the original poster was instructed by an Airbnb customer service representative to allow the son to stay in her house and was punished when the Airbnb representative thought he/she had “evicted” the son.

You clearly are avoiding the fact that the host should not have let the son in the house in the first place. The “punishment” was a loss of rental income. I’ve been there, myself, due to a last minute cancellation because a 15 year-old had a sore throat. Oh well.

Yes. Couldn’t agree more.

1 Like

The punishment is Airbnb charging the host a “fine”, blocking the days of the reservation to other guests, having it say in the reviews on the listing that the host cancelled and the inability to achieve Superhost status for a year.

2 Likes

There’s no insulting here. We are simply trying to get a straight story. There are not enough facts given to us to make a clear assessment. As Sandy2 says, the OP exaggerated and misinterpreted words that were probably not exactly said by Air reps. As incompetent as Air reps can sometimes be, I have a hard time believing any Air rep would use the words “punish” or “evict”. To me that sends up red flags and I call fishiness on the story.

The op needs to rewrite this story more clearly so we can help her properly. If she refuses to make even the slightest concession of responsibility in this, there is not much we can do to help her.

If that makes me unkind, so be it.

4 Likes

And what happened to cause Air consider the case closed? Did the guest leave and get a refund?

What happened to cause the broken heart? Is it me or am I missing something?? Did I miss the answer to that question?

1 Like

Shall we cut to the chase?

20 years old is not a child.
20 years old is not the father’s problem.
20 years old is not your problem.

Nor is it your job to feed and house a random guy who can’t get himself together.

People have pointed out already how AirBnB dealings might well have been done differently (refuse entry, cancel booking, whatever).

Granted, there is such a thing as being human and trying to help someone. I honestly believe that had you given him one free day of accommodation and meals, and perhaps access to a phone or computer if he needed one, perhaps help him locate a shelter or a friend to stay with and maybe even drive him somewhere… would have been all you were morally obligated to do.

Instead what happened is that homeless or not, he took advantage of you. You didn’t deserve it, but think about the 20yo - he didn’t care that he did this to you. He really could have been booted out and told to go back and do it to his father or a relative/friend, not you.

Grab your pitchforks! A new host didn’t do what you learned the hard way not to do.

1 Like

Can you Imagine how this thread would read if the host allowed the 20 year-old in (against TOS) and assuming (but we really don’t know for sure) that the host was expecting the father and had no idea about the son staying there, and then the son murdered one of the neighbor’s children? English law is full of the term: “Knew or should have known”, which refers to recklessness. The host either knew or should have known not to let the son into the house (or accepted the third-party booking).

The first two third-party bookings I did were for neighbors’ friends because of weddings. Both went off without a hitch, but I was fully aware who was staying at my place (and greeted them) and the “booker” was fully aware that they were personally responsible for any damages. The third one taught me a valuable lesson and I won’t do it, again. As someone said, above, it is easy enough to simply have the person who is actually staying at your house to create his/her own Airbnb account.

Enough said. I’m moving on.

Possibly the fact that the transaction was against Airbnb’s policy. In other words , it was a third party booking.

Plus:

Why on earth would Airbnb do that? Even if he was the registered guest?

The legal contract, generated by Airbnb, is between the registered guest and the host - not some homeless person. I have no idea what the OP expected Airbnb to do.

But you know all this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

no one is grabbing pitchforks. If she is so new that she didn’t read up on how to be a host and what the terms of service are then she simply needs to own some of the responsibility for what happened. She needs to be better prepared to be a host before she opens her doors or learn as she goes. Baptism by fire as it were.

EXample. When an guest invited a guy she met at a bar to come over to my home and party and cause a ruckus, yes her judgment was bad and she was damned stupid and inconsiderate…but you know what ? Yes I was furious, ,but I owned it. I didn’t have that clause in my house rules. (No unauthorized guests on the property.)

I immediately changed my rules and have not had a problem since.

When I was in teacher training, they told us this simple one. If the class is out of control, it’s not them, IT’S YOU!! Get a grip and control them. Same with guests.

You can’t get taken advantage of without your permission.

I’m not going to be accused of wielding pitchforks when just stating facts.

And we STILL don’t know what happened!

But its OK I’m moving on like sandy2. Dancing with the Stars starts soon. :smile:

6 Likes