Community Commitment

Just read the email about this. I find it interesting that you are not allowed to discriminate based on marital status. There is a widespread rule in the muslim world that non-married couples should not cohabit, and many hotels specific state that they do not accept non-married couples. Perhaps religion in this case might trump the commitment or airbnb might get sued by islamic governments?

You did not read the complete mail did you?

Local law supersedes AirBnB policy.
But you have to specify in your listing, that by local law you are not allowed to host non-married couples.

do you mean supersedes? It might be sharia law rather than civil law, so could still be an interesting test case.

@thesentinel wrote: " There is a widespread rule in the muslim world that non-married couples should not cohabit"

That may be a rule, but it is not a law. Still, I have spent time in places where violating local religious custom will probably get you killed.

If you live in a country where religious rules are more powerful than national law, then I would write on the first line of your listing: For religious reasons we cannot accept unmarried couples as guests.