Collecting Local Tax

I just got this email too. I plan to just tell my accountant and let him figure it out. :smile:

Ha, not going to be much collecting now.

:frowning_face:

When I go that email, I’m wondering how the state will know how much tax is on my property. I’ve been filing taxes with the state and county for a while. I’m not sure how I’m supposed to file now as the online portal will take the entire tax due though the state will have been paid already so only the county portion will be due. Any other states where Airbnb collects taxes have any idea how to deal with this conundrum?

I have a business account with my state through which I was paying state sales tax until Airbnb (and Homeaway) started collecting. I still file as I have off-platform rentals to pay tax on, also because I know there would be some bureaucratic mess up if I stopped filing – there is a penalty for businesses not filing in my state even if they report $0 revenue for a particular quarter. You may be able to sign up as professional host on Airbnb and re-take control of transmitting state tax payments.