Children free of Charge?

Being a childless dog person I see parallels with dogs. I wonder how many people allow dogs with no pet fee? My dogs are awesome but they shed. They are awesome but they aren’t immune to illness. I would never assume I could find an accommodation that accepts them at no charge. It seems patently obvious to me that children would incur an extra charge but some people here don’t see it that way. It takes all kinds and that’s the cool thing about airbnb.

2 Likes

My dog is awesome but clueless about house training. She has decided my carpets are her loos. No matter how many times I take her out during the day. When it rains especially, she simply goes inside. Otherwise she is awesome. She is almost 7, this is not going to change

I would love it if more of my guests could bring their dogs. My Setter sits on the reef and constantly is waiting for something exciting to happen.

2 Likes

Actually you have me wrong. That’s why I asked what country you are from. I always try to learn from those from other countries. I am speaking of unruly kids from many Americans. And that is why I was intrigued with your post. But oh well…

1 Like

Any continuous voice is annoying! And even more when you are trying to concentrate. I just listened the parrot sounds that @konacoconutz shared us :slight_smile:! Exotic!

We had once family members for lunch and the son kept yelling in the table. The parents didn’t do anything and I carried this 5 y old boy out of the table. And then again you can’t do that for the guests…

3 Likes

Oh darn-nit, your little sweetie is so cute…but now I don’t want her.

…awww, such a poignant visual!

I missed the ones about not hosting overweight people - what are the objections? Too heavy for some furniture?

1 Like

Just got another booking this morning.

“I want to come with tree adults”. So he books.
I send him a message about the discount card we offer to each guest.
His reply:“Do I need this for my child too, or only for the 3 adults”.

aaaaaaaargh

:rage:

BTW: This is what is rules #1 in the house rules:"We have to be informed about all children at booking, no exceptions. "

3 Likes

I don’t rent to people with kids. Now 2 coworkers rent from me. One is from Kayman islands, and her daughter lives in US with her father, and goes to school here. Mother works in South Florida a lot, and she works very long hours. So obviously when she is here she wants to spend time with her child. Company pays for her rent.
She mentioned briefly that 9 year old daughter will be sleeping over “sometimes”. Room has king size bed.
When I heard it I told her that’s ok if it’s sometimes, warned her about slippery marble stairs, noise, cooking and other little things.
They rented last Wednesday. Since that the child is in the house every single day. I have to say this is one very well behaved child. She is in school all day and then she has music after. But on a weekends she is in a house. Last Saturday she was galloping up and down stairs, going to fridge every 20 minutes, slamming doors until I asked her why she does it. She was obviously bored.
After I asked, she stopped, went to her room and watched TV all night.
Now the conversation with mother coming up.
She basically lied to me that she will have her daughter here “sometimes”. Fridge is full with chocolate milk, and other kids goodies .There are several type of kids cereal in pantry. She does her daughter’s laundry here.
I gave her discount since she and her coworker rented 2 rooms at the same time. But I thought it would be just 1 person in each room.
I really can’t understand what was the lady thinking? Did she think I would not notice the presence of her child in my house?

5 Likes

I have no problem with children. (At least most of them)
And if guests ask politely upfront we are even willing to let very small children (up to 3y) stay for free.

But I have a problem with guest trying to sneak them.

3 Likes

I don’t want kids here for few reasons and the most important is my stairs.
Many kids of my friends at some point fell here, I don’t need extra liability.,Also noise , extra cooking that comes with presence of a child and damages.
This kid is a good kid, but still it’s a kid. But the fact that she said one thing and in fact it’s it’s another, and she does not even discuss it with me .

5 Likes

Well I think she is taking advantage of you, saying one thing and doing another. I think you should speak to her about behaviour /boundaries /what is unacceptable and then come up with an extra fee for the days she stays (weekdays cheaper)
She said ‘sometimes’, and she meant all the time. Charge her.

5 Likes

I asked her today if her situation changed with her daughter. She said, father is very busy and he was taking care of her for the past months full time, and when she is in town she needs to have a girl with her. I asked if she does not mind paying then a full price before i gave her a dsicount. She agreed right away… They are staying another 5 weeks.
The girls is really very well behaved, and i dont see them, not mother, not daughter. Thats why i agreed to this arrangement.

7 Likes

I’m glad you talked to the mom, and she agreed to pay full price. She was wrong to deceive you or not tell you when her plans changed. Whichever it was, you are now hosting two for the price if one. You should at least get full price. From how you describe your hosting style, you don’t let people take advantage of you or push you into agreeing to do something you don’t want to do.

5 Likes

oh, man, I feel your pain…

That’s true. My husband told me yesterday that I need to be more flexible. It’s a good thing it’s my business not his:).
I let it slide for a week to see if a girl will go to her father’s but she never did.
She is paying full price now. She did not argue, I think she thought I will make her pay much more

4 Likes

Yup. She lied to you. Downplayed the presence of the kid and now you see the result. Full time kid after all. What will you do?

I worry that if you ask her to leave then she may report you for family discrimination.

This is not fair because she basically lied to you.

2 Likes

Oh just read the other answers… Geeze!

I would be very unhappy with this person. Has she ever left her alone and unattended? I would really draw the line there. Are they cooking? I can’t imagine that there would not be cooking with a child. As you say, even a well behaved kid is still a kid. When she said “sometimes” the child would be staying over, she failed to identify how much.

The mother does not live here, she is here for work. Only child lives here with her dad and goes to school here. I think she really meant that the daughter will stay only couple days a week because i heard her to day almost yelling at her ex for not taking the kid. Mother herself is very busy, she is almost never home and child goes to afterschool.

SHe does not strike me as one who will cause troubles like that blob did. She is a hard working person, and very polite, and very clean. I saw her kid only once for 2 minutes for the past week. She really is no ta bother to me at all …yet:)
SHe told me in a beginning that she never cooks. And its true, i never saw her cook. Her daughter eats cereal every morning, i can see washed cereal plate. And then there are things in a pantry for kids, like boxes. I saw her warming up something in the small oven, but thats about it.
Now, its almost 6 , and they are not home yet. They left around 8 am.

She left her once in a morning, but her coworker was watching the kid, and stayed until mother came home.

1 Like