Children free of Charge?

If you rent mostly to professionals and your place is polished, then avoid families. Families especially with kids are staying home more, and there is more cooking going on.Thats why all the crumbs. With that said, i had people who stayed without kids and they left quite a mess too.

1 Like

Oxy Clean in very hot water. This, of course, before the stain has been set with heat from the dryer. Oxy Clean is a freaking miracle product. It makes short work of almost any organic stain.

Six or seven years ago, my friendā€™s son knocked her full glass of red wine onto my light beige carpet. Oxy Clean made it look like it had never happened. Interestingly enough, every summer for several years after, when it got very humid, a shadow of the stain would reappear. The slight dampness was causing what was left of the wine in the carpet pad to wick up. Steam cleaning with Oxy Clean fixed it then as well.

2 Likes

It makes as huge difference if the stain is fresh as opposed to dried and set in. I too watched a wine stain disappear before my very eyes but dried stains take more work.

I spilled a bottle of milk in my car once and the smell would reactivate every time it got wet. For years. Spoiled milk never sleeps.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve said it before and will say it again: having children ā€“ and particularly choosing to travel with them ā€“ is a lifestyle choice. There is nothing wrong with making that choice. Just be prepared for the limitations your choices bring.

Let me put it another way: when I travel, I actually seek out places that do not allow kids, because while some people enjoy the laughter (and whatever else) young people add to an ambiance of a holiday, I am not one of them. We are all different with different tastes looking for different things. Guests vary and hosts vary, and itā€™s all about matching the right guest to the right host. Thatā€™s what this business is about.

8 Likes

Hysterical!

You should do stand-up.

Yup.

Apart from the first one, weā€™re not willing to do any of that.

The only thing we have off that list is a pool fence.
Makes me realise all the potential hazards that are in our house and now Iā€™m glad to have set a minimum of 6 years and above

No kids for me ā€“ they have to be at least 14 years old or a non-moving infant. Too much liability.

2 Likes

Comprehensive answer, thanks.

We rented the same place in France for years from a lovely lady - and she only charged from the adults. Then she sold her place and we had to look elsewhere. Weā€™ve found many beautifully located places where only adults have been charged.
And the appartements are always cleaner when we leave than when we arrive:). Iā€™ve always made sure that no one gets to tell that ā€œkidsā€ left a mess.

We are all different: I would never stay in ā€œno-kidsā€-hotel even if I travelled with my husband. Itā€™s like weddings where kids are banned and the couple wants everything to be ā€œperfectā€ without the voices that kids make and then the party ends up to be really boringā€¦ but yep, everyone has their own taste.

I also love living next to a school and love to see people of every ages. I have a friend in Paris whoā€™s 80 and love the variety of my friends. Iā€™m 41 and have friends from 2 years old to this 80 years old and everything in between, male and female.

Well, you are a very unusual person, who likes noises kids make. Because most people get headaches.
I dont have kids in m y house for a very long time, and enjoy it tremendously. My 2 friends are in town, and there are 4 kids between 2 of them. :4,7,10 and 12. 12 year old is a sweetheart, acts like an adult. But the restā€¦ Brother and sister fight non stop, boys never stay still, ran around, scream and fight. We went yesterday to a dinner, what a nightmare.
I invited them for lunch for today, but now made up a reason to cancel. I just cant go through 3 screaming, running around, mess making kids. And there is noway i need guests in my house like these.
Unless a kid is extremely quiet and well behaved, there is no business for parents to bring a kid into any Airbnb shared house

3 Likes

I totally get it when people donā€™t like bad behaving kids in restaurants etc. But I really enjoy nice children who are often as interesting persons as adults if not even more. Weā€™ve been out in a nice restaurant and in the party there were 11 kids who ate the same things that adults and behaved the whole evening like they should. And they weā€™re from 4 to 10 years old.

When our girls were in the kindergarten and sometimes I went to seek them when they weā€™re still at lunch it was so nice and quiet with 20 kids. The teachers knew what they were doing and the children knew the rules. No messing around in the table, only when your out in the park, there you can make noise. And when the kids canā€™t behave Iā€™m even more annoyed by their parents than the noise.

2 Likes

Are you in France?? I heard those kids are well -mannered and act like adults, etc. What you are describing surely doesnā€™t sound like kids in the U.S.

I donā€™t really know why anyone would feel they need to bring their kids to a wedding. I get that if someone canā€™t find a babysitter then I guess they just wonā€™t attend. But I would never want someone to bring their kids to my dinner party, or any adult event.

1 Like

No Iā€™m from Scandinavia and in our home we expect the kids to behave, our own but guests as well- and weā€™ve thought them to enjoy the meals from the very early age. Well, as in France.

I wonā€™t get to the details, because you would find me even more annoying how we started this culinary education.

1 Like

I ā€˜hear yaā€™. I feel like my children do know how to behave, though occasionally they become confused and think they are in a playground and I correct them. ; ) I point out poorly behaved people because they can see how that loud person (or other) affects them and detracts from their own experience. I like to think that helps them want to behave responsibly.

Iā€™ve enjoyed having children in our home. Some of them Iā€™m watching grow up on FB and itā€™s a joy. I like playing with them while their parents finish breakfast - I love watching them build, create, figure out. I have a son, adopted at 12, who got NO such interactions and I see how it devastating it was to his emotional and intellectual abilities.

But the two kids staying in my home now? Ugh. If they had been our first two small children guests, I would no longer allow children. I may end up asking air to rehouse them. My children have encouraged me to give them more time, ha ha! They really scream and holler and cry for long periods of time. Both last night and this morning before and after breakfast. We work and do our school work at home and it is difficult to relax when the continue to scream and cry.

So yes, I do charge - because they are more of a drain on the home and family than the adults - but I do continue to allow them, because most have done much better, and as a family of 5, I know how hard it is to find decent, affordable places for a family to stay.

2 Likes

Gahhhhhhhh, as a mom of twins, now 21, it is nice to have adult children. I can say that as a mom of young kids, I remembering often tuning out the noise. But DC, itā€™s possible these guest kids you have are tired or spent from traveling and being in a foreign situation. Can you ask the mom to take them to the basement (I mean their suite!) when they start up? How much longer? Maybe you can put in the rules kids over 10 please. People like this are really better suited to a hotel.

I agree that they are better suited to ā€˜entireā€™ or ā€˜hotelā€™.

They ARE in the basement. We are sitting here trying to work and itā€™s hard to think. Thatā€™s how loud they are.

They are here a week!!! And they got my bargain-basment price! But we leave on Friday so wonā€™t have to listen anymore.

Yes, they are tired, but they have been in the US two weeks. I think itā€™s sibling stuff.

Youā€™ll love this, Kona - I was sitting at the table with my son playing a card game - precious times, right? The 5 (acts and looks 3) year old came up and sat at the table watching. The parents and other younger child then came up, and started heading out the door. They spoke to the child in Spanish, and then, just walked out and left the child sitting here with me. I didnā€™t even know where they were going and my mouth was hanging open. Speaking a bit of Spanish I was able to engage with the child and involve him, in a small way, in our game. But I couldnā€™t believe I let it happen. That time was to engage with my son, not this other child.

Turns out the parents were only in the backyard. OK, but still, this IS what happens, with certain people, when you are welcoming and friendly. Perhaps itā€™s a Spanish thing, too, to be very relaxed. I was disappointed that I didnā€™t think fast enough. Next time I will.

Such a deal. Not only did they get the bargain basement price they got free child care.

5 Likes