Children free of Charge?

cabinhost, I really don’t want to fight honest. I think this discussion is a good example of the different experiences that live-in hosts and entire property owners have. Peace?

1 Like

Magwitch - since you say you cannot possibly justify it…then why do you not present a conclusion that is best for both parties.

Present a conclusion to guests checking in to a whole home rental that stinks of cigarette smoke. Tell me how you would handle it after you tried to get all stench out. Tell me how you would handle it if the same ethnicity lied to your face over and over again. Please educate. Tell me how you retained your income and didn’t have to forfeit it.

Unless you can come up with a resolution…then you are no better. In your last statement you say guests have not lied to you. That goes back to my point that most hosts who throw stones have never experienced a time where they couldn’t get the place ready for next guests. Are you saying you are an onsite host where literally you can walk over and stop the behavior?

The fact that you cannot even empathise with difference speaks volumes.

Ok. Well, you still haven’t actually said how many guests of this mysterious awful ethnicity you have experienced. I’m going to guess two. To answer your questions, I suppose I would do what every host does who has experienced smokers in their rental: claim on the deposit for extra cleaning and offer a small refund to next guests if necessary. It’s a relatively rare occurrence, surely. If it happened to me regularly, well I’d start thinking about what it is about my rental that attracts such people and adjust.

I just re-read your post. [quote=“cabinhost, post:122, topic:6616”]
Are you saying you are on an onsite host where literally you can walk over and stop the behavior?
[/quote]

Yes! I live here. I am the embodiment of the Airbnb original concept. I rent rooms in my house. We share the bathroom. They live in my HOME. Are you serious? FFS. I’m out of here.

Please send me a bit of the shit you are smoking. I have said over and over and over again that I have not experienced ethnicity issues. I can only understand because I understand business.

1 Like

Magwitch - You don’t sound like a serious renter. You sound like someone who is welcome for people to break rules in the bedroom next door. Wow…what a fool I was to think I was engaging with someone who was about discrimination.

Get back to me when you have actually experienced hosting people from other countries and when you understand something other than your own interpretation of business. Meanwhile, here’s a peace pipe - have a puff :slight_smile:

Hey, I thought this thread was about children staying for free!

3 Likes

About kids, I don’t see that NOT accepting children is discrimination. It is a personal choice that can be negotiated with. eg I’ve accepted a toddler when the child was with 3 adults and I refused a booking that had 4 adults, 3 toddlers and 2 infants…

Anyway, Airbnb have this to say if you are putting child friendly on your listing:

"Airbnb has partnered with Safe Kids Worldwide, a global organisation dedicated to preventing child injuries. Safe Kids Worldwide suggests adding the following amenities to make your home infant- and child-friendly:

A working smoke and CO detector on every floor, and in all sleeping areas.
A portable crib with a firm fitting crib sheet. Be sure to place away from windows and blinds in room.
Removable safety gates for stairs and, if you have a pool, a gate around it.
Cordless window blinds.
Keep all household cleaning products, liquid laundry packets, medicine, and chemicals securely stored and out of reach.
Mounted flat panel TVs to avoid tipovers. Be sure to place heavier, box-style TVs on low, stable pieces of furniture. Use brackets, braces, or walls traps to secure unstable and top heavy furniture to avoid tip overs.
Water heater set at no higher than 120 degrees Fahrenheit to avoid scalds."

2 Likes

Fascinating thread. I find myself personally identifying and in agreement ~in part~ with every one of you, which suggests to me this:

Each one of us is obviously the end result of an infinite combination of past experiences and social influences. We all have had a unique journey to arrive to how we now think and what we now choose. I now respect more how an individual thinks (and does), even if I personally disagree with, than try to make a convert to my way of thinking, which has radically changed many times in my lifetime anyway.

P.S. Was in the States for a week, and returned to Belize just in time to experience TS Earl; the island did splendidly, that atoll around it is indeed a Godsend.

6 Likes

Ummm…Guests don’t need to physically fly in from a different country in order to experience hosting others with cultural differences. I’m just thankful all my ethnic groups poop directly into the toilet, and not around it.

1 Like

That was my first thought. They sneaked kids in and so many try to do the same.

1 Like

You’re a generous person & that’s great. My experience has been different, In the beginning I was very understanding, meaning NAIVE, & that was used against me many times my first season.
Now I’ve learned that, unfortunately, many people are sneaky & looking for a way to save money, which I understand, BUT, as a host, I’m looking for a way to make money, with as few damages and big clean ups after the guests. There have been a few times each season where I’ve thought "Why am I doing this? " So, I’ve gotten less understanding (naive ) & I enjoy hosting more and I’m making more money & have less work.

3 Likes

As mentioned before, do your children shower, use the toilet etc.,? Then they are costing the host money and time. Most of us can’t afford to do this as a charity and if you can that’s wonderful, but don’t think your children don’t cost the host money and as a host yourself you’re well aware how expensive water & electricity is in most places which teenagers use a lot of each.

1 Like

The keyword is elegance and hospitality. I don’t like to be charged 0,5,-usd in a restaurant for using the toilet. Not that I can’t pay for it, it just looks cheap. Have that already included in the price.
I feel the same about charging extra for a e.g. 2 year old.
But each to his own. I don’t charge, you do.

yes, me too!

I tried to bring the subject back to what I had intended it to be about (children over 2 years "expected’ to be free discounted or even free of charge) which is actually quite interesting-
but my efforts seem futile…

I think it’s two case.

The first you have to provide a baby bed and the other the baby sleeping with the parents. Not the same amount of work I guess.

Nice try but at 138 comments its bound to wander :slight_smile:

@Elizabeth Great thread really, turned out to be very informative. Yes, yes like many threads it drifted from stating individual positions that may give another a new way of looking at something to defending personal positions. What else is new. The word ‘should’ is usually the culprit to be found in most flash arguments.

At first, I had a policy of any children younger than 12 years old were free, then changed to 5 years old; I also oftentimes give a price break to other types of guests for other reasons. I go on sheer instincts. Your litmus test (“if it requires an added bed”), is really a good one.

1 Like

Recently i had a booking for 2 adults and 2 children, one an infant.

I did actually read this post at the time of their stay and didn’t know what to expect on their departure.

What i noted though was:

A bedroom which no one had slept in, had the contents of a packet of crisps in the actual bed. Very peculiar.
I noticed a cleaning sponge, stank of vomit - but i can’t see puke anywhere.
Also a great deal of crumbs.
The only other downside was a 10" black mark on a newly painted wall. I didn’t dock them.

The guest, did prior to booking ask if i could charge for 3 instead of 4 due to budget constraints which i accepted.

Until reading this post, i didn’t realise the extra damage that could occur, especially if the property is generally open to professionals and has a polished finish to it.

In future i reckon i’ll ask more questions, take in to consideration the ages etc and probably refer to this very useful thread. :slight_smile:

3 Likes