Children free of Charge?

Yeah. Don’t mess with my Kona! I will come for you.

4 Likes

I LOVE my forum friends, thank you Jack! :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Same here you guys are the best.

Always saying it like it is.

3 Likes

You may try putting something like this in house house rules in your listing:

“Each individual person counts as 1 guest, including children and infants”

It may not be worth too much, as they probably didn’t read much of the listing anyway, but at least it’s something to hang your hat on.

4 Likes

Really glad i came across this post.

Some very interesting insights as well as tips especially with regards to infants.

That’s the beauty of this forum - the experiences and insights :slight_smile:

I often find prospective guests can be cheeky with the numbers. As a host you have to scrutinize everyone all the time.

3 Likes

As a host and as a traveler with kids I am surprised by some really hostile responses.
No, I do not charge for kids under 14 and yes, I find hosts not charging for my kids much more alluring. I have travelled with both of them and they made no mess at all.

We are charging the same price for children and adults.

Basically we have the same amount of preparation/cleaning if it’s adults or children so we don’t make difference

3 Likes

My listing is no children, I have an adorable little dog and kids are way too interested in her, it makes me nervous because kids just looove to stick their faces in a strange dog’s face! I tell my nieces all the time, dogs like petting not hugging… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like to gain insight; honestly I’m not being argumentative. I don’t charge for infants and toddlers who will share a bed with their parents; therefore no extra linens. I don’t understand your view that children up to 14 don’t make a mess, so hosts shouldn’t charge for them. They use towels, linens, dishware, etc. We charge for adults who don’t make messes, so why not older children? Please understand that you are asking us to give up money. If we could rent to two adults and charge for each, why wouldn’t we charge for an adult and an older child?

Don’t know. Have kids, travel with kids and I guess this is just a little treat for the parents. I don’t mind that extra 10,-euros I charge for an extra person.

As a parent and a traveler I would really not like to stay with some hosts here. Airbnb is not ONLY about economical decisions and for me hospitality either.
We have been to 4 different places with them in the last 2 months and all hosts were super satisfied with them. We’ve had many kids stayin at iur place and have never had any problem. I guess if I made similar remarks to races, nationalities as I have read here about kids, I would be fast out of this forum and absolutely rightly so.

3 Likes

To be clear, I love having children of all ages as guests. I find that children are looking for things to like about their trip, not things to gripe about as do many adults. I have hosted children as young as one up to as old as counts as a child. I disagree with the posters who say that children leave more mess. The children who’ve stayed here haven’t left any mess. The only thing I wonder about is your view that we shouldn’t charge for children.

By the way, unfortunately there are many posters here who openly discuss the people they won’t host because of their ethnicity, age and weight.

2 Likes

Well I know it isn’t my imagination, and I think how parents and children behave largely depends on who the other members of the group are. And whether or not the guests are renting a whole house versus a room for a night or two in someone else’s home.

Employees tend to behave differently at work when the boss is away.

2 Likes

I raised twin boys mostly by myself so I have seen just about every kid mess and disruption there is. Beyond that, my place is not childproofed and there are many dangers and liabilities here that I don’t want to take on by hosting young kids. I will take one older child and one adult though for a max of two. My house, my rules.

1 Like

Kids we have hosted on the whole have been good but when they leave I then see all the places they have put their sticky fingers and left food crumbs. Just like adults all kids are different. And it all depends on if the parents oversee them. We had one group where the grandparents clearly were more concerned than the parents!

Lancoeur - When Grandma is part of the group, I really cannot even tell that kids have been there. If only I could require that all parents with small children have to invite their mother or mother- in law :smile:

4 Likes

edit: meant to reply to @cabinhost about Grandma staying
That’s so funny!
My place generally doesn’t attract guests with children but on the occasions I’ve hosted them, I don’t charge for babies/toddlers if they share a bed with their parent(s). If they use a bed, they pay. If I was renting out an entire property that was precious to me there is no way I would allow children. In my immediate family there are a lot of kids who come stay with me sometimes and wreak havoc, basically. They are now thinking of doing airbnb and honestly I’m trying to dissuade them. I love them dearly but I’m dreading the thought of them asking me to provide a reference :anguished:

1 Like

Do you mean they are considering hosting, or being guests?

Guests. They can barely manage their own everyday stuff, let alone being hosts! I think you can give references to guests, no? I had one ask me to do that a while back. He was the friend of the person who booked and wanted to create his own account. I wrote it for him, he was a very nice guy. I’ve never seen a guest profile with a reference, though. But I’m sure it can be done.

1 Like

Don’t worry. Most of the hosts here are wonderful, genuine people and some are newish hosts who simply want to vent… We’ve had some people post here who are just doing so to make mischief. We’re lovely really :wink:

2 Likes

That’s comparing apples to oranges. There are good and valid reasons where hosts choose not to accept children (safety, comfort etc), same with disabled guests. There is no valid reason to decline on the basis of race or nationality.

1 Like