Children free of Charge?

I ended up charging them using a special request. I knocked off 15 dollars for a 5 night stay to make them feel like they were getting a deal. He had no issue with the extra charge so it worked out to be fair. Thank you for the input. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, and their flat is smaller than mine and they charge more per night; so they know I was already giving them a fair price.
I declined her saying we wouldnā€™t be a good match and I do not haggle, as my price is already fair.
Response
"
Well, and as you know, in some places, children are charged in a different way than adults, arenā€™t they (e.g. Airbnb, Hotels, public transport systems, whatever). In my point of you, I didnā€™t haggle"

I told her in my 7 years doing airbnb experience I never had someone assume children where free and take it in their own hands to give themselves a discount. ā€œHope thats okā€

7 Likes

When sharing a home, toddlers are a huge drain. They scream and cry at all hours. And yes, the diapers - the diapers!!! They will fill the trash cans immediately. Have some extra grocery or other bags for them to wrap the diapers in. Show them the bins to take the trash out to.

I share a home too, and families are welcome, but you bet I charge for those kids. I have to stand in my kitchen and listen to them screaming day and night.

Then I always think ā€œGee, MY kids never screamed like THAT!!ā€ ha ha selective amnesia!!!

7 Likes

We do too, but they try to add them in a sneaky way. We really love kids but our place is just not set up for them no matter what the parents believe,

1 Like

I just had two guests over which included a little oneā€“a one-year old. Now, I donā€™t live in the place, as the house is only for airbnb (one reservation at a time). But I didnā€™t charge for the baby. It seemed unfair. Sure, the addition of the baby might require moreā€¦ I donā€™t know, water usage? Toilet paper? Linens? Fine. They barely add up to $20 over a week.

1 Like

Would you take a $20 bill out of your wallet and throw it down on the street?

1 Like

No, but if someone is already paying good money for 9 nights of stay, Iā€™m not going to be an a** about $20. I guess weā€™ve been raised differently by our parents, you and I. Plus, most hotels donā€™t charge extra for a one-year old. I suppose theyā€™re also taking $20 out of their wallet and throwing it down on the street? Sheesh, the comparison!

The main concern with little ones, especially toddlers (coming from a mother of 4 with two current toddlers) is thereā€™s just the liability with them, along with extra messes and risk of damage. Most of the time, even with an extra $5/night, it may not be enough to cover the risk of diapers being changed on linens/carpet, etc. plus it would still probably be cheaper than a hotel stay for the family.

5 Likes

This doesnā€™t have anything to do with being an ā€œassā€ over charging for a third guest. If you would typically charge for a 3rd adult then you are not an ā€œassā€ for charging for some baby that may be walking around. And the parents are also going to spend more time in your home because they do have a little one. The hotels and Dennyā€™s run their specials in the hopes you will spend more money in their establishments. We donā€™t have more money for them to spend. If you want to cater to kids and families then by all means let those rug rats stay for freeā€¦

4 Likes

What does this mean?

You are running a business. Itā€™s not a hotel. Extra guests impact. But if you donā€™t mind subsidizing them be my guest.

And as a personal aside, Iā€™m getting tired of hearing personal insults flung my way because Iā€™ve made a simple statement on this forum. This time about what kind of parents I have? Say what?

My dad was a hero. He was a two-time combat vet and Bronze Star recipient. He flew dangerous low-flying reconnaissance aircraft his first tour and bodies in, bodies out helicopter missions the second. He was then offered a position in U.S. Diplomacy as an attache at an American Embassy. When he returned from that post, he was a squadron commander at a large Marine Corps airbase. In addition to that he was a fine human being admired by all he met and worked with.

Donā€™t make disparaging remarks about how I was raised, please.

15 Likes

There has been a lot of that going around in the last few days - and not all of it has been directed at you. Iā€™m tired of reading the snark and I hope it stops. I love coming to this forum for the idea exchanges and learning opportunities. You (and the other targets) have given me so much. Thank you! I think this needs to be said more often. :two_hearts:

7 Likes

Thank you Suite! you are indeed ā€œsweetā€ yourself! :smiley:

4 Likes

Same view for me. Same price from 0 to adults.

2 Likes

I also donā€™t charge extra for children who are sleeping in the same bed with their parents (infants and toddlers). As we are in fact a culture in which many businesses give discounts to parents of small children, I believe that the guests will feel ā€œnickeled and dimedā€ if they are charged for small children. My extra person fee is $15.00. It is a small amount for me to give up if I believe the guest will have a nicer stay. I have never had to dispose of diapers or do any extra cleaning when Iā€™ve hosted small children.

Then maybe he shouldā€™ve taught you ridiculous comparisons. Someone forgoing $20 because perhaps the guest is already being charged a high enough amount doesnā€™t mean that heā€™s throwing $20 down the street. Like I said, maybe the rent is high enough and $20 doesnā€™t make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. Or maybe the host takes a kind, forgiving attitude towards new parents. Whatever. There can be a number of reasons. I suppose with your logic then someone who gives their money away to charity is also throwing their cash down the toilet?

But youā€™re right, this has nothing to do with your parentsā€“just you. And to be honest, Iā€™m playing a little bit of devilā€™s advocate, because I see your point(s).

Whatever lady. Just host however you want to host and spend extra on guests. Why not spend $40?

The idea appears to be lost on you. This is business, and every dollar counts in bottom line profit margins. For many of us hosts, this bottom line is damned thin, and that doesnā€™t make me a cheap person. Do I go in a restaurant and call them cheap if they wonā€™t give me a free plate of fries just because I spent $100 on dinner?

. You will see eventually igving freebies to guests doesnā€™t add to the bottom line or result in higher reviews. And thatā€™s why you are doing this after all. Right? Good reviews and profits? Or are you looking to make friends of guests? If so, just make your rooms free! Why not?

And then just join a forum and start insulting people, calling them cheap, insulting their parents and upbringing. Give me a break.

10 Likes

ā€¦:joy:

2 Likes

Wow Kona, we have something in common, miy dad died just this March, silver star and Purple Heart recipient. Proud of our vets. Thank you for letting us know. And thanks for all you do here on this forum. Some people donā€™t like the truth it seems. :thinking:

6 Likes

Why would anyone take a kind, forgiving attitude to new parents? In my opinion they are the worst guests when they have more than two young ones. They have caused me so much stress. I would never in a million years dream of giving them a discount.

But from other postersā€™ comments in this thread it seems to be a thing to have to compete with hotels not charging for kids. Unless you are getting the full hotel pricesā€¦then you are only shorting yourself. And - do you really need to cater to kids staying for free in order to get bookings? Why even bother with it.

4 Likes

At the risk of getting kicked off this forum, back off of @konacoconutz, right now. She is the most experienced host here, and, one of the most helpful. And donā€™t cast dispersion on anyoneā€™s upbringing. Ever. Again. Many of us are great friends here and depend on each other daily. Play nice.

14 Likes