Children free of Charge?

He he he he - I can totally relate. My partner always says I always think the worst of guest intentions, etc. But then I prove to him over and over again that guests are manipulative. It was like my recent post with the last negotiator. I told him they would be back and the guy who was tasked with booking screwed it up…and they would send someone else in to try to book. And then when the other “friends” came in to try to get a discount, and I declined again…I told him if they do decide to book at full rate - then they will try to give me a sob story of how they need early check in. I was right again.

I agree…someone has to act like the business manager. And it’s a good thing it is not him. Here I am trying to piece together his business taxes for the deadline tomorrow (for those who filed an extension) and he is annoyed because it cuts into his time of making scarescrows for the rental, and building a miniature log cabin mailbox for a client…Sigh…and shaking my head…

But we do balance each other so I can’t complain too much…

5 Likes

Familiar story… I asked him, you mean by flexible they can walk all over me? I am never mean, i never raise my voice, or watch every step, or every move my guests do, but i am not going to be silent when they make mess or invade my privacy, or make too much noise. First morning the woman did not realize we can hear everything and talked very loudly on her cell at 5 am. I texted her to stop. The same morning dowstairs guy did the same 2 hours later. I already walk up, but do i want to hear cell yell that early…or ever? I texted him too. Its been a week and they dont do this anymore.

4 Likes

Do you think since these are not Air guests (who could leave reviews) its easier to manage them? I would think Air guests might be more snooty about being able to use their cell phones when they please.

Yes, and the bad guest behavior needs to be nipped in the bud in the very beginning.

When I know certain guests who are checking in (who try to push boundaries) - I always warn my partner to not be caught off guard, and just reply with “Let me check with cabinhost and she will let you know.” That way I can look like the bad guy. He takes offense, but in the end he knows I am a right. I never had a “babysitting” job growing up - I only mowed lawns when I was very young. But I feel like I deserve a “Super Babysitting” badge now of grown adults…lol. They will try to get away with anything…

5 Likes

I dont know. But i was telling Air guests the same.
Noisiness is one of my biggest concerns. Some people are just loud. I still remember doors slamming lawyer.
I really did not even think of reviews.
About Airbnb, i did not rent through them since June. Is it going to effect me somehow, can they unlist me because of it?
I wish i could rent through them, but this month i had so little inquiries, and no interest. I forgot to block my calendar and noone even showed any real interest. There are tons of rooms there.

Right. I love how you are with the guests! You don’t let them get away with a thing! As it should be,

2 Likes

In my last house, I had wood stairs. I can’t count the number of kids (plus my ex and I) who fell on those slippery steps when wearing socks. Huge liability.

2 Likes

I just had a similar kind of request, for a couple with 2 kids, a minute ago. They didn’t seem to understand that I was planning to charging them extra for their kids (8 & 12 years old), at 10€ each for one night.

So thanks for this thread, it really helped to put my mind at rest while dealing with the enquiry I received.

3 Likes

I have been following this thread thinking it had nothing to do with me. then BAM. My group of 6 are about to arrive. Husband messages me from airport. Sending, wife, in laws and kids to the house and he will wait for their friend and child on a later flight.

I had charged for 5 as the breast feeding baby had not even been born when the booking was made last September. This may be the busiest weekend in history as it is Canada 150 and we are steps from the action. I do not know anyone in the City with a spare bed this week, even those not doing Air BnB

He thought the kids were free AND not part of the headcount! Luckily we have an enormous place and we were able to make up 2 single rooms. Went to put through a Change with Air and the system would not accept it as I show my capacity as 6. (What I want not what I can accommodate) . Long and short, problem was solved.

In defence of these parents its the fact that hotels allow free kids and don’t much care how many are in the room.

Husband and wife could not have been nicer and both have a ton of good reviews. Its a lovely multi generational family so it will be fine in the end.

Sure glad we did not do self check in!

1 Like

Yana is right. Kids are like ten times the liability and no additional benefit for you as a host. Unless you are renting a place for which kid-friendly is really the main draw (like you are near Disney World), then I don’t know why anyone would want to encourage folks to bring their offspring (and for a discount to boot).

2 Likes

We love having children as guests. With one exception, all of the children we’ve hosted have been delightful. What is especially wonderful about children as guests is that they love new places and experiences. Instead of grumbling about anything that is different from their house, they think new and different things are fun. Also, children lavish attention on our dogs which makes our dogs happy.

2 Likes

They are posted somewhere along this thread. :slight_smile: I think it is also really important for hosts to give accurate reviews when hosting anyone- If there are fingermarks and slime all over- please say so! It the children are loud and unruly- please say so.

I am amused to find evidence of secrets when cleaning up…candy wrappers under the bed…flashlight and a book under the bed another time…lovely piles of special treasures gathered from the woods.

I do suggest that you encourage the parents of small humans wearing diapers to place the used diaper in a bin outside if at all possible. It seems that the smell lingers and makes it a little difficult when you have guests coming in right after and little time to air everything out.

1 Like

I am really down on children! They are just a pain in the ass. The few times I did allow them from people that were begging it was a mistake. I had a $300 plumbing bill from diaper wipes. And also I was told it was a baby but it was a huge baby and it was in a walker and it went around banging into the walls and I had to touch up the paint. Also I noticed when I hosted in infant that there was a small poop stain on bedspread👎🏻No more kids they are just a huge pain in the ass for me

3 Likes

Ha ha! Preeeeeeeeeeeach!

2 Likes

I’m not down on children. My own angels are one thing. Other people’s are quite another. I did my time, my boys are grown and I choose not to accommodate rug rats in my rental.

4 Likes

I definitely charge for children and I have been asked many times to let them in for free but for all the reasons noted by the other posts, how can you not charge? Here is a lesson learned though and I am so glad I didn’t get burned. We had a couple book for a week and they were arriving the day we were returning from vacation. They booked through VRBO and when they came they had two daughters and two babies - really! So I spoke to them and they understood the extra charges so I put it through as a change in reservation -$600.00 extra- and they didn’t pay before they left so I was getting worried so I called VRBO and they said there is nothing they can do since they had checked out. Well I sent another request and they finally paid - ugh! Lesson- GET THE MONEY BEFORE THEY LEAVE!!! Also they stopped up the toilet twice - very annoying!

4 Likes

I do not accept children in my home… it’s not child proof nor child appropriate. Full of antiques and glass it’s a haven for disaster with small people. I’ve hosted one 7 year old girl and her mom and it was not a great experience… hosted a baby who cried the entire time (poor little thing and poor mom and dad and poor us who had to work the next day) , hosted teenagers who trashed their rooms and bathroom. No more. my space is just not set up for kids at all and I help my guests understand that.

2 Likes

Wow! That’s amazing! Military brat here- Semper Fi!!!