Buying an electric kettle

Yes, they were sending out coupons for any of the K or Vue cup machines. From there, they know they have you with the expensive pods.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a big YES on an electric kettle. Do not buy an inexpensive one, youā€™ll be replacing it and he concept will end up costing you more in the long run. We have two Hamilton Beach kettles, one for the house and one for the rental cabana. The one in the cabana was used by my partnerā€™s daughter in college and grad schools; the other my partner has had for nearly 10 years. Both have been in regular (daily) use for well over five years and show no signs of wear or tear.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been a frequent visitor to England. No matter how late it was my mates and I would make tea. When we got home, the first thing after turning the key in the door was turning on the kettle. Even at midnight. With the kettle the water was boiling within one minute and bam, tea was done within two. Electric kettles are essential if you host lots of guests from the commonwealth!

4 Likes

An electric kettle is safer then a stove / gas top one.

Yes I agree with this! Spend a little money and a kettle can last you ten plus years!

Kirsty Jane,

How is an electric kettle safer than the one we use? Iā€™ve attached a link to our listing. The kettle is shown in photo #19.

You can put just enough water in it for your tea/coffee, turn it on, and then leave it - it turns itself off when the water boils, so no standing over it, or forgetting itā€™s on. Very quick and convenient too! One thought, most are jug shaped, and are ergonomically better; the ā€˜kettleā€™ shaped ones can look cool, but take up more space and canā€™t heat up smaller amounts (say, enough just for one mug full). Iā€™d go for a quality jug kettle, but it neednā€™t be expensive.

1 Like

Itā€™s always a good idea to spend a bit more money and get something that is good quality and lasts. Unfortunately, everyoneā€™s recommendations are available here only as overpriced imports. :frowning:

+1 For clothes line and electric kettle

We have a very effective fold up clothes dryer rack from Ikea and the Hamilton Beach kettle @KenH mentioned. Although the Breville is better quality the Hamilton is perfect for our rental. Funny side note our Wine Country rental is 90% Americans and Im pretty sure the kettle is only used by me :joy:

I put this in my rental. Heats about 2 cups of water almost instantly and turns itself off.

Available on Amazon for approx USD 14, available on Amazon India for approx USD 40. Yay for capitalism. If I sound bitter, thatā€™s because I am.

2 Likes

because guests can forget that the gas is on etc. itā€™s just another thing to worry about in my opinion.

electric kettles are just so much easier!

1 Like

Kirsty Jane,

My kettle whistles when the water boils and trust me itā€™s loud enough that you can hear it anywhere on our property.

ā€¦ it really depends on what sort of guests and where they are from. Iā€™ve never used a stove kettle and have lived in australia, new zealand and currently the UK.

As brands go, Iā€™d still recommend Russell Hobbs -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=amb_link_183681827_2?ie=UTF8&bbn=3538310031&rh=i%3Akitchen%2Cn%3A11052681%2Cn%3A!3147411%2Cn%3A391784011%2Cn%3A3147441%2Cn%3A3538310031%2Cp_89%3ARussell%20Hobbs&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=NCMQAJHBKSVA6TXHD7XQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=613119807&pf_rd_i=15891591

That link doesnā€™t seem to lead anywhere. I just get the main site page.

My son made a cup of Yorkshire (brought to me by an English guest) and forgot the kettle was going!!! That is one danger, that it could go dry and burn up.

My favourite :slight_smile:
But believe me, to get the full flavour you need to use Yorkshire water!

2 Likes

Stocked up last time I was in London. So cheap, yet so good!

1 Like

Well, I just ordered

Wow, shopping decisions are such a pain. Thank you for the advice and comforting words, everyone.

3 Likes

Next time you are there, grab me some Toblerone.

2 Likes