Buying an electric kettle

@EllenN. In a rental, I don’t expect anything at all. But, if it is listed, I do expect an actual TV, not a computer monitor, with the advertised cable. As you know, I added a TV to my listing several months ago. It became clear that when the sun sets at 3:30PM that guests come home earlier and many of them enjoy snuggling up on the couch to watch TV.

My husband and I didn’t do pre-nups. Neither of us had a thing… but he made it clear that if we married, I should expect that he would have all sports channels on whatever TV we owned. And, let me tell you, we have. To be honest, if I didn’t have cable coming into the house, I would not have added this TV. You might recall, when we added the AirBNB tv to our cable plan, our monthly bill went down $80 per month so it has turned out to not be a hit financially.

Some of our winter guests have enjoyed the TV, but many of them have not even turned it on. Since the TV cost me less than $200 and cable is basically free, it was a good investment for me.

1 Like

I don’t run the satellite to the rental. It would probably cost me an extra $40 a month to do it so it’s totally not worth it.

I’ve only had one guest mention it in all this time. Ellen, I would not let that guest pressure me into getting tv or reducing your rate. Just because she is a regular customer does not give her the right to make demands on you and your listing that may not prove profitable for you.

1 Like

I probably won’t add cable, because we won’t use it. I just wanted to find out what people would expect in sports, movies, etc. Also, in case I add cable sometime, is it possible to prohibit guests from ordering pay per view? I ask because we had a guest who wanted to watch a boxing match and had no idea that it would be expensive.

@EllenN. Yes., On any system you can add parental controls which limit the ability to do pay-per-view. In the event that someone wants to watch a pay-per-view item, you could enter that passcode, determine the price, get the money in hand before ordering the show.

1 Like

I think it could be anywhere from $60 to $150 but I would imagine it would depend on the event and how prestigious it was.

This was the Manny Pacquaio fight in 2014 and if I remember correctly it was about $150.00.

I use to be a housekeeper at an expensive hotel here. Most people from outside the USA did not have a clue how to use them and did not follow the directions left in the rooms. I just bought this one form walmart.

I like the idea of having a tea pot in the room also and may get some loose tea a long with the bag kind.

I find that to be totally astonishing! :slight_smile:

Be astonished. I have never used an electric kettle. Natural gas is much cheaper than electricity in Southern California so I have no reason to spend more money to boil water.

1 Like

@EllenN. Strangely, even though Electric Kettles use electricity and my stovetop uses gas, the kettles are a much more energy efficient method for heating water. I don’t really care if anyone else uses one, but man do I love mine! I received one from my cousin who lives in London as a wedding gift way back in 1982. I had to replace it when I lost the cord during the college investigative road trip with the kid. [As an aside, couldn’t buy a replacement cord since the darn thing had been recalled years before! Who knew this stuff before the internets?]

I have a Breville which I love. In fact, I love it enough, I bought a second one for the AirBNB rooms.

4 Likes

It’s the opposite here. The,island does not have natural gas. Most homes have all electric kitchens, and if you do have a gas range and water heater it’s really expensive to have propane delivered monthly. The electric kettle boils water FAST. In under a minute. Far more,efficient than putting a kettle on the gas range.

2 Likes

Good question. I have a keurig coffee machine, should I have something to boil water as well?

If you’ve read through all the posts here, you’ll see that opinion is divided but I’d say yes.

It’s also more efficient than using an electric range. When for instance I have to boil something in a pan (pasta, potatoes etc.) I boil the water in the kettle first then add it to the pan on the stove. It’s much quicker.

2 Likes

Yes what about people who don’t drink coffee…not everyone likes keurig either (don’t get me started)…

@jaquo yes I do that as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve never used one and am disappointed to hear that there is a learning curve that requires instructions.

I envisioned it is like my white noise machine. I just plug it in the wall, and then I turn the switch on . Easy Peasy. It’s completely idiot proof.

1 Like

That’s it! Plug it in, fill it with water, push the switch down, wait for the click a minute or so later. All done!

2 Likes

Hmmm…then makes me wonder if Americans just think it is a coffee carafe or something and have no idea the use is to boil water?

1 Like

Who knows :joy:

I believe most of us Americans have lost the art of using boiling water. I see way to many people who heat their water for tea in the microwave. Our Grandmothers knew to keep boiling water on the stove for when extra was needed.

It is honestly that easy. I think Americans aren’t used to them for some reason ? It’s got nothing to do with the price of gas either - gas in the UK is ALOT cheaper then power …